Anal sex after haemorrhoidectomy?

Posted , 42 users are following.

I am a gay man in my late 30s. I have always enjoyed receptive anal sex. For several years, I have suffered from piles. I've had them treated various times but they always came back. The surgeon advised me to have a haemorrhoidectomy, which I did. This was six months ago. The first few months were tough going but then everything started to settle down, and I felt more or less back to normal. Except for sex. I can take something up to a certain, fairly small, girth. Then the pain kicks in. I'm trying to loosen myself up with toys, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm really worried I may never have a fulfilling sex life again. Grateful for any advice.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 8 months after surgery, and only now I'm starting to enjoy anal sex again. It takes a while to relax and a bit more till it won't hurt, but after a while it gets really relaxed and good,. Once I get relaxed and used to it, usually several minutes after insertion, it gets as good as it used to be. I hope it gets easier with time, but even so I'm glad I can enjoy it again . After sex I get a bit sore for a few hours, as if the anal muscle got more tight than it used to be, but this only lasts a few hours and then it's normal again.

• Posted

Hi daniel, which type of surgery did you go through? was it stapled or without staples? Thanks in advance!

• Posted

Without staples. With staples, as far as I know, it will always be hard to have anal sex because the staples will hurt both individuals. I'm over a year after my surgery, and I can have normal anal sex now. But the sensation is a bit different, it takes a little longer for me to relax. The scar left a couple of small skin tags that bother me, but I wouldn't think about having another surgery there anytime soon.

• Posted

Bespoke surgical is an outfit in NYC. They are very helpful.

It is possible to bottom post hemorrhoidectomy but the recovery period will be different for all, depending on the number of hemorrhoids removed, how quickly healing occurs, immune status etc Stapled hemorrhoidectomy should be avoided. Apparently staples can be removed if necessary.

They suggest using toys and lots of lube to very gradually dilate the canal around 8 weeks post op. Supposed to be a very slow and careful process. If left to late I'm guessing that scar tissue will harden. If started too early, reinjury would be an issue.

If many columns or cushions are removed "anal stenosis" is a risk and if this occurs chances of eventual success are much lower. Repeat surgery is also possible in some cases.

Been doing research on pubmed etc it seems as if bottoming is a risk factor in and of itself for developing hemorrhoids although the evidence is far from definitive

• Posted

I had surgery in November and still am battling to receive. i have just started using butt plugs and its still fairly painful, but getting easier overtime - although i keep only getting to a certain point.

question for those who have been able to go back to normal, how soon after surgery did you start using toys?

• Posted

I'm 10 months after surgery and I can already take toys or my husband, but it takes me longer to get used to it and to be able to enjoy it. As if it takes longer to relax or get more elasticity. But It's the closest to normal I'm getting, so I won't complain about it. Hopefully it will get better with time.

• Posted

wow after reading all these comments im second guessing having my piles removed i am 37 year old female ive had hemorrhoids for 18 years was painful at first but now its just like skin i love anal and my new bf is big and long and ive been dying to try it with him but dont want him to see my anus lol i know they are very ugly and dark like a cluster of purple grapes but honestly my past bfs didnt mind and im thinking if someone really loves me then they shouldnt care what my bum hole looks like since theyre not painful and i can have great anal sex i think i will skip the pain and cost of any surgery and just try to love myself how i am our partners should do the same

• Posted

hi and which procedure did you have done. Staples? Banding?

• Posted

Hey. I hope everything works fine.

I am in a different situation. I am 24 years old gay man. I however never had anal sex in my life but I want to. I had hemorroids for a year and I was afraid to have sex. By the way, I realised I was gay last year. The same time I found out that I had hemorroids. Long story short I thought that having a surgery would help me in the future- what an irony! So I had a laser operation to remove them. However, I couldn't discuss it with my doctor because he knows my parents and my parents don't know that I am gay. Will I be ever able to have sex? I feel like I caused this to myself in my trying to fix things. I messed up. Thanks for reading this. xxx

• Posted

Hi!

I have external hemorrhoids and they are really bothering me. I was thinking getting the laser hemorrhoids removal done, but I'm scared I will never be able to bottom.

How are you now? Are you able to receive anal?

• Posted

So just an update from my post a few months ago. I had surgery about 9 months ago and then could not bottom since then. I even found fingers alone to be extremely painful and unpleasant.

When I read some of the above thread about 6 months later (being at a lose as I was never sure I would ever go back to normal again) I saw someone post about using a toy within the first 3 months of surgery to ensure scar tissue doesnt heal over and be tight forever. As I was already 6 months in and hadnt tried toys, I thought the odds were stacked against me. Nevertheless I tried a buttplug for about 2 months straight with it still being painful and i could only get to a certain depth/stretch.

A few months after trying the buttplug and 9 months after surgery I can finally say Im starting to enjoy sex for the first time since the surgery. It isnt 100% as it was previously, but how i could compare it to was the initial stages of when you start bottoming. It still in some instances is painful but it isnt as painful as in the beginning and is slowly getting better and deeper each time.

So for those of you who have had surgery already, there is still hope for everyone. Everyones bodies will heal at different times, but its about being patient but also persistent with the process.

For those considering the surgery, its best to know all the facts. Firstly its extremely painful for weeks after the surgery whereby youre leaking and bleeding for up to 6 weeks after surgery. Then lastly it will take a long time for sex to go back to normal. So i would only suggest getting the surgery in extreme situations whereby you cant currently have sex or youre in alot of pain currently. Else its not worth it. Knowing what I know now and how much pressure it put on my longterm relationship, i would have never had the surgery.

• Posted

Did you had any bleeding going on?I feel like this is what happen with me and scar healed that way and i cant take a guy I use to have sex with....and its not even big one : /

• Posted

I did mine surgery already 6 months. It is a little nightmare. It seems that is getting better finally, but I realized my anus does not open as before. I could take 2 penises at same time, and thick ones without problem. Now, I can take if they are not so thick, and even the normal thickness ones, gives me a burning sensation that is not good and I cant get excited of being penetrated as before. Maybe it is still not healed totally? Or it is a kind of memory of the pain?! I don't know. But talked with my doctor who said to "go slowly" and with time, my anus will be as before. I don't trust him very much, but I will give the time, specially after reading some comments here talking about "10 months" or more to return to the normality. If I ever knew, I would live with my hemorrhoids but not do this surgery. Now, I am feeling too much itching near the anus, and when it happened before, it was a signal of hemorrhoids, so I really hope they did not came back again... I will need to see the doctor again to ask how to avoid this so intense itching sensation, because I cant even sleep unless I do scratch a bit (or a lot until it is bleeding)... 😦

• Edited

Hi all!

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but is Haemorrhoidal Artery Ligation Operation (HALO) an alternative to haemorrhoidectomy? Or, once you have had haemorrhoidectomy done, can the staple be removed, and once is healed again the HALO procedure done?

• Posted

Also, the reason I'm at this topic is because I'm considering having the surgery. I'm in a 6 year relationship, but feel super self conscious in letting my partner even touch my anus. I don't bottom, but would love to and that's the only reason I don't. Also, we sometimes have other partners and I can never bring myself to let the other guys touch myself down there, obviously. Don't know if the HALO procedure is the right one for me, and, since it doesn't involve cutting I thought once the procedure is done and healed, anal sex wouldn't be an issue?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.