And bisoprolol...

Posted , 6 users are following.

greeting from FINLAND? sorry my english isnt perfect. this forum has been so helpfull for me.

i had hav svt for 25 years. they first time cought it this summer . i'm going for ablation next month. kardiolog dr gave me 2.5 mg bisoprolol. i have low bp. i asked him should i start with half dose.. i know i'm sensitive for drugs. he almost laughted that the 2.5 mg is so little dose that i can take it whole. still... i started with half. first few days where ok but then the hell started. half of the day i was like a trainhit. after hour taking the med i got these little anxiety spikes that lastet on hour or so. but i thought that it was just sideeffects for the start. my eyes and mouth went dry, my vision was odd, my ears where ringing and humming. i was so tired. i didnt never take the whole 2.5 mg tablet. i took half in the evening and 1/4 in mornings.

month went and this anxiety stayed, i cryed 3 days without no reason, i was so mess. i havent felt anything (anxiety) like that before. i had to go to this psyciatria er to talk to someone, i couldnt be at home. they send me to er. er doctor said that i should slowly stop this med and it doesnt suit for me. two days before i called the cardio nurse who talket to doctor who gave this drug for me, doctor still said that this is the best medicin and i have to take it until the ablation. er doc said that if i have managed 25 years with my svt why do i need to eat this med now. before ablation i should have to stop this like 3 days before cold turkey as you say here. i couldnt handle that. now i'm weaning since last wendsday. i feel these wawes go thro me. anxiety is lower than the worst days but still here.. i feel week. i cant stand too long. im lucky i had wonderful er nurse, who said i have to stop this med. i would be in the mental hospital if there would be a doctor who wouod say that it is not the drug...

one biggest problem for me is now appettite. it is very hard to get food down 😦

this forum has helped me a lot. i feel that mayby i am not crazy afterall

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on biso for SVT. Worst decision of my life.

When I was taking it, I had extreme tiredness. I could not get off the sofa. My hands and feet were freezing.

I just felt unwell.

Then when I went for my first ablation attempt, I was told it was ok to just stop the biso 4-5 days before. I asked if it was okay to stop, and my EP said no problem.

Well, it was a big mistake. I went into terrible anxiety. But at the time, I did not know this was withdrawal from biso. I thought it was plain anxiety. I was put on a benzo and trazodone. That was a nightmare. I went through gell after taking it for about 18 months, and then having to do a very very slow wean off. |This took about 9 months of weaning and then about another 18 months of symptoms after from the withdrawal.

If someone had explained that what I was experiencing was withdrawal from the biso, I would never having started the trazodone and the benzo.

If I knew then what I know now........

Never again will I take biso

• Posted

i can relate to all this i hope your feeling better now i am in the process of stopping mine its been hell

• Posted

Oh man....25 years of SVT and not being able to document it?????

Mine started in jAN 2016, I was able to catch the second episode 2 weeks later on an ekg.

It is the worst feeling having an episode.

Do you know what type of svt that you have? I have AT

• Edited

yes 25 years.. inhad holters, stress test. always when i went to doctors they took ekg and said you are fine. this summer i called ambulance and they finally got it on tape.

i took last little piece of biso saturday evening. two days went ok. last night was worst of my life. everytime i almost fell asleep my body jumbed and hr went up. i didint sleep much. resting hr was 100 all night and went up if i tried to walk.

i had to take little piece of biso to calm my heart this morning. i couldnt walk, couldnt stay stil. very restles. even food smell makes me sick.... i'm so done with this. is this never getting better? SVT wasnt as bad than this!

• Posted

• told my EP that I would rather have episodes than feel the way I did taking biso.Truly
      • My anxiety was so so bad. I think you just have to wait it out at this point.

I remember being off it cold turkey for 5 days. I could hardly walk from the car to the hospital going for my first attempted ablation. Anxiety was through the roof.

When is your ablation?

• Posted

thank you for your support. nights and mornings are hidious. afternoon it gets little bit better.

did you need any meds after your ablation? My worst fear now is that i am going insanse! Im so full on anxiety with out an reason and there is no escape from it. i dont want to take meds for this anxiety. its evening coming here and i dont know what happens when i try to sleep.

my ablation is next month, 6.

• Posted

Please be very careful about taking meds for anxiety. I messed myself up so much by doing that. I took trazodone and a benzo for 18 months. Weaning off those was the worst time of my life. It took 9 months to wean off and suffered for about 2 years post withdrawal with protracted withdrawal.

If I had realized that I was experiencing physical withdrawal from the biso, I would never had put myself through that.

I have been on a calcium channel (Tiazac)l blocker since January for my SVT. It does nothing for it. I still get episodes., and tons of side effects.

My EP wanted me to change to another med, but I refused to take it based on my readings.

I have never been ablated. I have gone 3x but never got to the ablation part. Long story......

• Posted

so sorry for you i hope you get ablation some day. i trye not to take anything strong. doctor gave me melatonin to help slepp at night. i was just overnight at er because of this f*****g anxiety...

did you have trouple eating? My appetite is gone...

• Posted

When I was experiencing the crazy anxiety, I could not eat.. I could not put anything in my mouth. I lost 35 pounds rather quickly, so I completely understand that. That is the worst. I looked like a wrinkled mess

• Posted

i dont know yet what type. possible anvrt

• Edited

hi i have been on bisoprolol 1.25 twice a day for 12 months now it has been nothing but a nightmare from the start i have lost my voice 5 times this year due to severe stomache pain and stomache acid my anxiaty has been awful my sinuses have been awful my eyes dry up .my eye sight is poorer i have no energy i get lots of pain in my arms and legs im so tired im constantly thirsty im bloated its just none stop pain and discomfort i have tried getting hold of my cardiologist but i have had no luck .i spoke to my heart failure nurse in may and she was ment to be changing my beta blockers but i havent heard anything since only my gp as lowered my dose to 1.25 which is the smallest dose you can have .its got me on edge on a daily basis im not sure if my heart failure has worsend on them or its the side affects of the horrid things i did not have these problems as bad as it is now before i was even diagnoised its been horrible .

• Edited

hi. im so sorry for you. i took bisos only a month and it was hell for me. i still have headaches and vision problems... anxiety was the worst, then was tiredness, dry eyes and mouth, tinnitus... mornings to the noon i was like trainhit.. i stopped the med and day by day i felt better. now i'm 3 weeks post ablation and heart is fine and i'm free from meds 😃

are you taking it to svt?

• Posted

Bisoprolol do not seem, with the multitude of side effects, to suit everyone. For some they do seem to be ok.

I have been on them at 3.75mg for a number of years now. Overall they do control my BP well. They also control some physical aspects of anxiety, in that respect they are good. But that is the only respect where they are good for me.

The side effects are not good at all and have never been that way. Overall I have been somewhat dismissed when it comes to talking to those medically qualified to help.

I have tried at least twice to slowly taper off them, even with a pill cutter and reducing very slowly.

Maybe I should have stuck with that but my goodness it was hell.

Also I do need to recognise that by tapering, told that I could just stop them, my BP will not be under control and so a different medication will be needed.

To be frank I perhaps realise that one day I will need to address this situation but I have not got the mental or physical strength to do so right now. This pandemic situation and the way that doctors appointments are is also not helping at all.

Best wishes to all in their journey with this drug, it is at the very least a roller coaster of a ride when using it, just taking my morning dose now.

meh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.