Ankle and foot aches

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a tkr 4 months ago and though knee is great my ankle and foot is uncomfortable especially in the evening. I often sleep with my foot out of bed. I realise during the op they're pretty brutal but has anyone else had this and does it get better. My foot feels hot but isnt on touch. Thanks everyone

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hiya

Well in my medical history l was totally normal and healthy and not overweight and enjoyed walking a lot to keep fit. Then l would say about 3 years ago l started with a pain in one side of my top leg. It felt like a pulled muscle in my groin. I never though anything of it l was 42 years old and never guessed what was in front of me. The pain got worse over time to the point that getting dressed for work l was in tears. I went to GP and he gave me a quick check and agreed it was most probably muscle related or a torn ligament. He gave me a script for painkillers and said if it does not get better come back. I was back within 2 weeks and he sent me for xrays. A few days later l was called to go back and was shocked when he told me l had ostioarthritis in both hips to the point that they both needed replaced asap. I was lucky enough to have private medical insurance as a benifit from my job and got both hips replaced within 8 months of each other. To cut a really long story short it's spread to most of my joints and have since had 7 operations in 3 years. I had hips done first then the pain moved to my knee and l had it replaced and then on the same leg it moved to my ankle so l had an ankle fusion then my other knee and then my foot is just had surgery to fuse a few of the bones and then l have my other ankle that needs done. Needless to say l had to give my job up and my life changed. But you just have to work through it and make the most of what you have. I hope this is not what you have got but l would get it checked just incase. I have came to terms with the fact l am like terminator l have more than 6lbs of metal inside me but l am fine.

Good luck l am sure you will not be like me. But get it checked

Laura x

• Posted

I had one 7 mths ago and have all sorts of other aches after , especially my lower back which I’m worried is my hips , I think this is normal , my ankle is sore sometimes , and even my knee that I had replaced 7 years ago has been feeling odd . I think we just move differently and also pain seems to move , some days I’m fine others I feel a hundred , my last knee op I got over much quicker , not the actual  knee , but in general this time still feel tired even though I had op just before Christmas. Have an X-ray if you are worried 
  • Posted

I had bilateral knee replacements and woke with pain and numbness (neurothopy) on the bottom of my right foot and ankle. Pins and needles under numbness that cups back of ankle and heal. Also shooting pain off an on. Foot was bruised and tourniquet area on that thigh was also bruised. This foot looks normal but is soooo not. Feels cold most of the time but not to the touch. It is aweful and overshadowed any knee discomfort. I am 10 weeks out. I have been able to tell that it becomes more profound when pressure.of laying the knee against anything is on some areas and not others. It is just beginning to lessen slightly. I am taking 4 ibuprofen every 8 hrs (800mg) during my awake hours (so twice @day) and 2 extra strengthTylenol every 4 hrs. I had been taking a smaller dose but PA suggested this regiment. It truly is the the only thing that makes this tolerable for me. Pressure point therapy on my legs and maßage has also given some relief. I have been very sceptical that it whatever go away however as i said before it seems to be listening i hope in your case it is the same my doctors were telling me that never heard of such a thing however as healing progresses I have better hope that my feeling will return and the pain will diminish. My PT believes that there was some nerve trauma that will repair itself over time some of the studies that I have read that was done by the Mayo Clinic suggest that vitamin B12 can be helpful they also suggested immunotherapy drugs. I bite vitamin b12 in figured it care heard anything period however i just a on my regular regiment and hope for the best and tell i see my doctor again at my 12 week visit. I truly sympathize with what you're going through but I do believe it will get better. Chin up! The last week has truly been my best so far. Give it time. Maybe the same regiment would help you too.

• Posted

Ankle and foot aches are common and it is one of the signs of early aging. My brother also face a similar health issue and tried different medicines. But yoga really helped him. He told me about 21 Yoga Poses for Anti Aging. That actually helped him. I have also started yoga. And I would recommend this to everyone because yoga turns the clock back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.