Ankle fracture

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had surgery 13 weeks ago to repair ankle fracture, my injured leg is always a different colour than my other leg, usually red or purple, anyone else have this? The swelling isn't too bad as I elevate it most of the time.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Yes my ankle was always mauve when i put it down , but its ok now, can you walk without aid yet

• Posted

I was forcing myself to walk without aid for about 5 weeks as i was told that is the fastest way to recover, but I had lots of swelling and sharp pains, found out about 2 weeks ago that the bone at the back of my ankle is still completely fractured and not healing, so back to non weight bearing and using a bone stimulator daily to promote healing. It's very depressing, I can't do anything

• Posted

I tried to put weight into mine too early in Physical Thereapy as well. I now have been told that from the MRI results of foot/ankle, I have bone edema (stress fractures of my foot) is the diagnosis I presume. I am currently using the pain gel and using a boot/shoe for the pain with crutches. It has helped pain a little. I had ORIF surgery on my ankle March 4, 2019 from falling in the snow in Feb. Have been swimming every day, with no relief to put full weight on my right foot. So frustrating, I'll eventually get to walking again. GOD Speed for us.

• Posted

Hya

what exactly did you do to your ankle , as I feel that something is wrong as im still struggling i did mine feb 1st, broke 3 bones had to have it manipulated, was in hospital 11 days had operation, pins and plate and 20 stitches im 69.

• Posted

i slipped on black ice and broke it in 3 places and disclocated it as well. they pit 2 screws on the inside ankle and a plate with 6 screws on the outside ankle but they did not out hardware on the back which was also a large fracture. I think they made a mistake. The fracture was 5mm displaced. My operation was Mar 27, April 30 they took the cast off and said I was fully healed and could and should put as much weight on as I could handle, the faster I start walking the better. I went to physio and was walking on it but had a lot of pain and swelling , at my next checkup they said I shouldnt be limping and should not have pain so the did a CT scan and found that the bone at the back had mot healed at all. i dont see how a bone stimulator can fix it. I am 51

• Posted

Oh dear

Very nasty they took the cast off soon, mine was changed and altogether i had the plaster casts on 8 weeks and then I had a boot with no weight bearing for 6 weeks .

I feel very frustrated all this time and still depending on crutches the muscle in my leg is wasted trying to strengthen it.

I hope you get the back bone sorted out , take care

Joan

• Posted

I'm 15 weeks out. My foot doesnt turn colors anymore but it did for a while. I went back to work on April 1st. I am a medical assistant and Im on my feet 8+ hours a day and I feel like that really helped me recover. The first couple of week were rough. I would come home and my ankle would be SO swollen, but I wasnt in a ton of pain. My doctor said it was normal and as long as I wasn't in pain that it was ok. As the weeks went by it started to get better and better. Now it doesnt swell at all. My doctor told me the best thing I did was jump right back into life. The more you walk on it stregthens the bone and encourages it to heal. So as long as youre not in pain try not to baby it! I feel great! There are a very limited number of times when Im reminded I was ever injured! Life is pretty much back to normal 😃

• Posted

Glad you are recovering quickly, I tried that method too, but found out recently that the bone at the back is still completely fractured, so back to non weight bearing. 😦

• Posted

Yes my foot was going black when put my foot down not more them 2 minutes and when going for shower its worst and i have a dizzy spell so stopped having a shower till it gets a better so it a full wash with a bowl on the sofa only till i feel better in my self . So hopefully we both get there soon take care every one says have patients and do not rush or you can make it worse . So am resting foot up ice peas .

• Posted

its just so hard to know what is normal and what isn't some people seem to have life back to somewhat normal at 12 weeks. I talked to the surgeons office today, they said I am suppose to be back to zero weight bearing, would have been good if he told me that 2 weeks ago when I saw him. All he said then was stop physio and take a step back. This seems never ending. I got one of those slip proof stools for the shower, works pretty good.

• Posted

yes its very hard to know what normal is for you . my surgery was january 3rd. i read on internet different things, doctor said 8-10 weeks for me its been longer. I'm 280 lbs when I went out in public I USED A WHEELCHAIR. Hard to do not weght-bearing for distance. I was told to stop crutches at 10 weeks. But I couldnt walk without limping because of pain i spoke to nurse and she told me to keep wearing boot as needed and i discovered that with one crutch it was WONDERFUL! I did that for two weeks and started therapy again they told me I didn't need boot or crutch; i called nurse again and told her that and how I felt she told me to keep using boot and crutch about week later i got out of boot but kept using crutch as needed. i did therapy twice a week for 6 weeks, exercised at home too.I can say NOW I FEEL MUCH BETTER. I use a cane occassionally (afraid of falling on unsteady ground). I still have some pain and swelling but I can see myself wearing a low heel soon. So it took me about 4-5 months to feel relief still not 100% but still on my way.

i wish you the very best...DON'T listen to what other people say! People told me they didn't need wheelchair, walker, stayed on crutches too long....I aggravated ankle by doing that moving too fast. Thats why I called nurse.....

• Posted

sounds like you are doing great! I am anxious for my next check up to see if I have made any progress.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your comments. I like hearing that I am not the only one in this agony of pain and fear. My ORIF surgery was on March 4, 2019 for a trimalular fracture of right ankle. Four months now. The pain is still pretty bad. I have this gel medicine which helps. I've been swimming and doing flexibility stretches and Physical Therapy twice a week. Still using two crutches. I got MRI results showing I have bone edema. Which means my healing may take a few more months according to my Doc. Has anyone else have these results or is it that I really over did it by putting too much weight on it way too soon (May 23, 2019)???? I am scared I won't walk without some sort of help in the future. I am only 53 years old, 137lbs. I love that I can share my story here for others that have the same sort of pain and fear. Thanks for listening and happy healing to EVERYONE. God Speed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.