Ankle Fusion

Posted , 8 users are following.

ive had a double ankle fusion with a cacalneal osteotomy 3 weeks ago. Should I still be in this much pain? I'm still having to take oxycodone especially at night. It doesn't feel like any healing has taken place at all. Is this is?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Barbara, 

Not sure how different it is from a broke, ankle but sound likke tendons and ligaments were involved

and hence more intense healing.

All I can tell you is the pain meds are not good to help the healing process, I stopped mine 3 daus post surgery, even if you have to switch to advil or motrin.

Lots of elevation and ice if allowed.

I had a triple fracture and after 5 weeks I got the green light from dr. that bone is completely healed and perfectly aligned and I can start ot weight bear....He was impreseed usually 6-8 weeks is the norm.

Mind over body... and toughing through the pain my friend. You're body knows how to heal, trust me

hang in there

• Posted

I'm almost 12wks post the same op minus the calc osteotomy which I have already had done a few yrs before. I still take painkillers x4 per day, not as strong as I used to but I still take them.

At 3wks I was still on the slow release zomorph/morphine tablets and I stayed on them until at least 8wks. I would say be kind to yourself, if you need painkillers you need them. What you don't want is to be in pain that you then struggle to get on top of...been there it's a bi*ch!

Also we are all different what one person experiences another will not. Like I said take it easy, from speaking to others the kind of operation we have had is more like a marathon than a sprit...corny I know but it's so true.

Let us know how you get on.

Claire. Xx

• Posted

I would also add that if pain I stopping you from moving i.e. Getting up with your crutches or getting comfortable in bed you should be taking them.

There is a fine line between resting and not moving. I'm a sister on a trauma unit and I have seen what happens to patient when they do not move...chest infections, DVT which can then cause PEs.

I'm not trying to scare you but it does happen and more often than people realise. Xx

• Posted

The reason for my double ankle Fusion is severe arthritis in my ankles. I'm also flat footed hence the reason for my cacaneal osteotomy. My Doctor didn't give me a lot of Oxycodone pills & won't give me anymore. Not allowed to take anything with anti inflammatory sin it (Advil, Aleeve, Celebrex)  because it delays your bones from fusing together. I can only take Tylenol which does nothing. I don't feel like there's any healing that's happened in these three weeks. Sleeping is the worse as I can't sleep on my back so I toss & turn all night trying to prop my feet up enough to lay on my side for awhile. This really sucks. I will be glad when I go on the 16th for X-rays to see if all is okay in there. I'm still in a soft cast so they will also be casting me at that time which might help with the healing. When this is all behind me, I have to turn around & get it done on my other foot as it's also full of arthritis. I'm hoping this will give me back my mobility which has been severly limited the last few years. If I can walk again, this will all be so worth it. 

• Posted

Sounds very similar to my ankle problems too, so I sort of know a little of what you are going through. Did your dr give you a reason for not giving you any more pain meds? 
    • Posted

He's so afraid of his patients getting addicted. Where I live which is New Brunswick Canada, they're starting to cut back on giving out narcotics as Doctors have been prescribing them too freely. That doesn't help me any. 

• Posted

There is over prescribing for trivial things like a sprained ankle but this is a whole lot of difference! I'm in the uk so we don't really have the same problems that you guys have, it's been in our national press a lot lately. Strikes me as crazy! Do you have a Physio yet? Just wondering if they have any weight they could throw in? 

• Posted

I probably won't get to start Physio for another two months but they have absolutely no pull here. 

• Posted

You can do your own gentle movement exersize. Just wiggling toes raising feet. Gently pressing feet into soft pillow or end of soft sofa. Gently turn feet out.  It's a long recovery but worth it.  I agree with getting rid if meds asap they're bad for mind and body. Addictive as all hell cause bladder and bowel problems skin disorders. Get off them as soon as you can. Even the prolonged or over use  of panadol can damage liver and kidney in years to come. 

• Posted

God that really sucks, recovery isn't just physical it's recoverying and being mentally well too. If you have a lack of the correct pain relief then it may hamper both. Xx

• Posted

I agree with Claire, Some people don't handle pain well, and yes the body needs to heel, but if your not sleeping then your not heeling as fast either.  My doctor said take them as needed, and thats what I did for 3 weeks mostly took  my pain pill before bed because my heel would be on fire in the middle of the night and once in awhile late morning.  I had a trimalleour ankle break, at my week 6 check up with xrays my bones were heeled.  If you need to take a pain pill take it, not need to always try and be so tough.I hope you get the relief you need soon. take care.

• Posted

Barb, I had a fusion 7 months ago but I remember being on the pain killers longer than I wanted but you have to get thru it the best you can. I got a cold therapy machine on amazon and it really helped with the pain. The jnee or shoulder pads fit around the ankle fully. It is a very long recovery, so anything that makes you more comfortable, use it!!!

Im just starting to walk short distances without my cane , but I still have a limp. It atill swells but it is more soreness now not that intense pain as the early days. I hope you get thru the tough part soon, it is a journey and its hard to be patient!!!

Take care, 

Margie

• Posted

Thanks Margie & everyone for your replys. I'm definitely asking for more pain killers when I go next Wednesday when I go to see him. I have to be able to sleep at night. I have somewhat good days & a lot of bad days. Yesterday I would of given anything to have a pain killer. You certainly get tired of having your leg elevated & it takes such a toll on the rest of your body. Especially my hips. It's encouraging to see you are somewhat walking after seven months. I'm sure this will be worth it all for all of us.  I'm hoping to be able to go back to work at three months (office admin) but that may not be realistic. That's what the surgeon wrote on my medical note for work. 

• Posted

Hi Margie,

Do .you remember if at three weeks your ankle still had a lot of pain?I don't notice any relief in the pain directly around my ankle where he cut into it. I hate this feeling of my foot always feeling swollen like a balloon. It's awful. 

Hope you see great improvements every day. You gave the worst behind you. 

Barb

• Posted

Hi Barb I definitely had pain at 3 weeks and I know what you mean about the throbbing. It does get better, you are at the hardest part. Really try to distract yourself as much as possible. I hope it gets better for you soon and take the pain killers if you need them, it is a tough surgery to recover from. Try to keep your spirits up because in a few weeks it should improve.

Margie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.