Ankle pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke my ankle 3 weeks ago and am non weight bearing.My"good"ankle which was stiff in the mornings before my injury has become so painful that I cannot hop more than 10 times without sitting down.I use a frame not crutches because I am clumsy.Has anyone else had this problem?I am over 60.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that you're having pain with your good ankle. Have u made an apt with your dr to see what can b done to help u. 60 us the new 40 u have a lot of life to live so b proactive, keep fighting.

Karran

• Posted

Laughing at 60 is the new 40!

I just wish my nearly 60 had the same energy as when I was 40!

Always feel tired since BA now into my 12th week & can hobble unaided for short walks so pleased with my progress but am shattered in no time & sweaty from trying. Could be because of atrial fibrillation (AF) but hopefully I will feel normal again someday & have more energy.

Hope you're all progressing well out there?

• Posted

I am 71 and in the last 6 months I have a new hip, a new shoulder and now fused bones in my foot. I've been an avid golfer & I want to play again. I take my vitamins everyday, I eat balanced meals with lots of vegetables & fruit as snacks. I do exactly what my dr says eventhough he is very conservative. I'm now 14 weeks since my surgery. Two more weeks & hopefully I can put my whole foot on the ground. Hate the boot. I see improvement every day. It can easily get depressing but there is an end in sight. B good to yourself.

Karran

• Posted

Hi Karran- At 14 weeks you are about to turn a major corner. Hang in there. You will find 16 weeks is a lot better than 14 weeks!
    • Posted

Thank u Patti, I hope 16 weeks is a dramatic turn because two days later we travel to see our twin two year old grandsons. I want to b able to play with them. We're u able to get into a sneaker or slip on shoe at 16 weeks. Of course all will depend on my XRay showing that my bones r completely fused & now r one.

Karran

• Posted

karran, your post op 14 weeks? Iam 13 1/2 weeks post op, and already walking on my foot, and doing soo much better everyday. When I was at my dr a month ago, he said to use my boot when i felt it necessary, and walk on my foot when i could, mostly around the house. i have been out and about walking on my foot, and starting to walk normally, and going up and down the stairs normally again. im loving it!!!! i go back to the dr on friday, and cant wait to find out what he has to say. 

everyday gets better, and you will notice significant improvement everyday and week. 

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Maeve,

I found when I was NWB that my good leg the ankle would ache and be stiff. Try exercising by pointing toe and pulling back 10 times side to side 10 times and rotating round 1 way and then rotate the other way 10 times. Google ankle exercises for pictures hope it helps.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah

I'm surprised at the number of ankle exercises there are.They should help to pass the time...

M70

• Posted

The ankle exercises are key to your recovery!
  • Posted

Hi Maeve!

I broke mine about 6 weeks ago, and I know how frustrating it is to have pain in your good leg/ankle. I found for me it was almost impossible to get around in crutches, so I found a used wheelchair online (craigslist) for 50 dlls.

My wheelchair has been a lifesaver especially because even at 24 I have terrible balance. You should look into purchasing one.

Hang in there!! At 6 weeks i'm still non weight bearing, but I'm off the cast and am able to start stretching my ankle.

Hope you feel better soon!! Find a TV show you enjoy, or get a bunch of books! That and painting has helped distract me a lot!

• Posted

I used a wheelchair for the first 3 weeks, and then a knee scooter for the rest until it was time for WB. Then I used the walker and crutches to get me walking. I agree re. the crutches feeling really unstable, and I avoided them altogether for months, but with WB they can really help. 
    • Posted

Yeah i've heard that with weight bearing i'll feel more stable in them so hopefully that'll be the case for me. As for now i got really bad blisters and callouses on the palms of my hands from using them. So i stick to the wheelchair for the most part. I was looking into a knee walker but i figured I'm (hopefully) almost going to start weight bearing so I'll stick it out.

• Posted

I got those same sore hands. I ended up buying some gel pads for the handles and that solved most of my problem. I could not have lived without my knee scooter, but if you are that close, I see why you don't want to get one now. Good luck with the WB. It took me about 5 weeks to walk on my own, if I recall correctly, after I started it all. I was 25% in week one, jumped from 50-75% by 2-1/2 weeks in, and I think it took me another 2-1/2 weeks before I could walk 100% WB. I had the most trouble with 75-100%, but now that feels like a distant memory at this point. Funny how that works. 

• Posted

I grip with fingers and don't rest hands. Never had a blister in 9 months.

Give it a go.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Thanks for your advice,Karla.I was told to start putting weight on my ankle after 4 weeks although the cast doesn't come off for 6 weeks.Good luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.