ankle pain after tkr

Posted , 26 users are following.

Had a right tkr 10 weeks ago and things are moving on well, have the usual stiffness, numbness and other things people talk about but hey I'm mobile and mainly pain free....except for my lower shin and ankle which hurts like hell if i've rested for a while..anyone else got this problem after tkr? Didn't have it before but they say the surgeons are pretty brutal when it comes to immobilising your leg during the op!

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have the same problem.  

additionally, I just slipped on the stairs, hope I had not damaged anything, outside part of my knee is very painful.

• Edited

I had TKR 8 months ago and have the same problem. It happens at night and wakes me up but don't know why it happens. Things aren't going too well and I am considering going to see GP as the consultant discharged me at 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Nicky, I am having the same ankle pain that wakes me in the middle of the night after have a tkr 6 weeks ago.  Did your pain ever go away?  Thanks!
    • Edited

Hi . I am having same problem they say it's because my knee wasn't ventral and now it is it's putting ankle in different position. Did yours go or did you have to have physio for ankle

• Posted

Hi Geoff I had the same problem after my second TKR on my left knee, can't remember the term that was used but it was something muscle stress syndrome & I was referred to a podiatrist who provided me with built up insoles for my shoes, this actually helped after a few days & the pain practically disappeared, I would usually havethe pain in the evening after I'd been walking around during the day, the insoles really helped me so it might be worth giving them a go? Hope your able to get something sorted out?
    • Posted

Thanks Tom (and the other folks), I'll certainly follow that up I can vaguelly (how the hell do you spell that?!) remember seeing my leg stuck up during the op and i'll swear it was back to front!One of the feelings I get from this forum is that the medics tend to say after a few weeks "get on with it" and dont give enough importance to telling you what  to expect.This forum has been a great reassurance vehicle for me and I guess a lot of people.Bottom line is I'm better off than I was!!
    • Posted

Your welcome Geoff, I agree exactly with what your saying about aftercare as well as the production like system of getting you up & out as soon as they can, before signing in to this site I thought for some reason that I was the only one encountering all these problems after surgery, as all the people I've known that have had replacement surgery swear bt it & say it's the best decision they ever made? Truly amazes me just how many people actually suffer so much after surgery, & being able to learn about problems other people have encountered makes me feel better (in a wharped sense) as I know now it's just not me that's having all this trouble, please don't take this the wrong way people as it's not meant like that? If you really want to scare yourself Geoff, have a look @ a few clips on you tube & see what you actually go through when your having your knee replaced? I'm one of these people that likes to know what I'm going to be going through beforehand, I've already watched the hip replacement as I'm in on August 1st to have my left hip replaced & there's already hints that I may have to undergo shoulder replacement as well, again I've checked this out also, my partner thinks I'm slightly loopy but hey it's me that's in there & I think it's fascinating that they can actually do all this for you to hopefully improve your quality of life? Take care Geoff & as always, good luck 😉
  • Posted

i would have to go with tom , they do do some strange things with your knees and legs putting them in all sorts of angles you would never think you could do , but do ask your gp ,

• Posted

Unfortunately I am experiencing ankle pain and swelling following my TKR which was 02/23/2015. I have gone thru PT and been released by Surgeon also-he said that it is soft tissue irritation to get some support hose-which given that the temperature is 105 here; I am not about to wear them outside. Any new suggestions, I am actually taking pain med's some of the time. Help-this pain is worse than prior to TKR.
    • Posted

Hi Totalknee, has your ankle pain ever subsided?  I had a tkr on July 9 and the ankle pain is still waking me in the middle of the night.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Jeoff, I had tkr on my right knee in December and a tkr on my left knee in July.  I am having the same ankle pain you are in the middle of the night.  I didn't have the ankle pain in my right knee tkr.  How is your pain doing now?  Did it eventually go away?  Thanks!
  • Posted

Me too. Had TKR seven weeks ago. Still have pain on inside of ankle. I can't wear a shoe comfortably. The pain is not constant but area is sensitive to touch and every so often it will begin to painfully tingle, buzz, throb, burn, simultaneously. In addition to the pain I have on the inside of my knee this is the most painful area on my leg after surgery. I suspect they did something that injured my ankle but the surgen just kind of blew it off saying it looked like varicose vains to him. No. I never had this pain before surgery. Something is not right. Still need pain meds to get through the day. 5 mg norco.
    • Posted

I had my TKR 8 weeks ago and like you have a nagging pain in my ankle and lower shin I can walk ok .the problem is at night keeps me awake on my 6 week check up they said it's the way I'm walking and it will take time .How is your ankle now .?
    • Posted

Hi . I had tkr surgery 6wk ago now .I am having same problem they say it's because my knee wasn't ventral and now it is it's putting ankle in different position. Did yours go or did you have to have physio for ankle

• Posted

I have the same problem with my foot and ankle and lower shin how long I did it last ? I have no problem walking its at night time wakes me up several times . I had my TKR 8 weeks ago .
    • Posted

I'm about 18 weeks since surgery. Ankle pain finally went away. Hope yours will soon.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Gary. Glad your free of your ankle pain I'm getting there with my pain but as they say no pain no gain .
    • Posted

Thank you for the positive hope that this ankle pain will eventually go away. Had tkr left knee 6 days ago. The ankle pain is interfering with my pt. Ugh! Need relief - desparate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.