ankle pain after tkr

Posted , 26 users are following.

Had a right tkr 10 weeks ago and things are moving on well, have the usual stiffness, numbness and other things people talk about but hey I'm mobile and mainly pain free....except for my lower shin and ankle which hurts like hell if i've rested for a while..anyone else got this problem after tkr? Didn't have it before but they say the surgeons are pretty brutal when it comes to immobilising your leg during the op!

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a TKR  5 years ago.Needed a revision. As soon as  I came out of surgery I knew it was a success. HOWEVER, I felt like I had a sprained ankle. After numerous ankle braces, heel inserts, podiatrists, injections, etc, I finally had an MRI done. Turns out I have a TORN Peroneal Tendon. Its the tendon that runs otside the anklebone and splits to the brevis and longus.

I think the surgeon did it while in surgery.

Update: Just had my right knee TKR, I am post op 6 weeks. My main complaint is severe pain in outer thigh and knee. I thought it was Sciatica. Turns out it is a severly swollen Iliotibial Band. Turns out this band(tendon) eventually connects down the leg to the PERONEAL TENDON. Wow...something is not right!!

• Posted

6 weeks post TKR op. Today for some reason or other I have a pain in my foot. It's so bad it's hampering me walking. Later today my foot is swollen once again!

I had a chat with the pharmacist with regard to my medication - I understand how it works... so helpful.

If any TKR mates having trouble with pain management speak to a pharmacist.

• Posted

Did you ever get any help with your ankle?  The pain in my ankle and shin is twice as bad as my knee.  If I could get any help with this I would really appreciate it.  
    • Posted

Have you found anything to help?  My TKR was a year ago. My foot pain started 9 months Ago. My physician thought it was a nerve in my back and I underwent a lumbar steroid injection. Now I have foot AND back pain.  This seems to be a mystery to my physicians. 
    • Posted

Shelly,

I am going to a podiatrist two days from now.  This surgery seems to have destroyed my feet.  Having to put so much stress on my "good" knee has almost finished destroying it.  I am so tired of it all.  I just want it to go away.  

• Posted

Yes. I am 5 week out from a tkr. Issue with ankle is due to the clamp which is put on to position the leg. Also the majority of the big muscles are cut and re- attached. Plus other muscles are stretched. So yes, your knee is going thru a lot. Plus your ankle and hip muscles. Are also involved. I too, experience a lot of ankle and medial( inside) muscle pain. I would assume time will heal. But again, every surgeon has there own methods. I would talk to your surgeon and feel comfortable enough to ask specific questions. I hope this helps a bit. You are not alone.
  • Posted

Hi geofg1944.

I had a rt tkr 6 weeks ago. Ever since I have had pain when resting in my shin and ankle as you had. Does it eventually go as I am having a hard job sleeping. Knee is fine just been discharged for knee but now have to have physio for ankle.

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks after tkr on my left knee. Ankle and shin painful but gets worse as the evening creeps in. Often sleep with foot outside bed resting on duvet seems to help. Ankle feels tight probably still swollen inside so I go away in August it'll be 20 weeks so praying it'll have subsided by then also will be able to walk OK. I have no stick and according to my husband walk straight but occasionally don't bend my knee much.

• Posted

hi therei had both knees replaced one year ago both my ankles and feet still kill me Pain is none stop and worse at night . Doctors dont have a clueDid you ever find out the cause of your ankle pain ?thank you jim

• Posted

How awful. I'm sorry you're in pain. I'm 30 days post-op for left for. Everything has been going well until 3 days ago. Out of nowhere I'm having severe pain in my ankle/foot. If I move it a certain way without thinking the pain will take my breath away. I can't imagine what I've gone. I've not tripped or twisted it. Woke up 3 mornings ago and it's there. Feels like it's getting worse. I tell myself it's all part of the healing process and PT but I've not had any problems with PT. I'm lost as to what the problem is. I hate running to the doctor for every little pain but this is new and it's a terrible pain. Any ideas?

• Posted

I am in the same boat. I put off having a tkr for 10 years. In that time, my ankle took the brunt of my bad knee, by not lining up properly which made my leg almost a 1/2 inch shorter than the other. Once the tkr was done, (over 2 years ago), my legs were the same length for a long time, and my ankle pain was still there, but not as bad. Recently, it has gotten MUCH worse and to the point that my leg is now shorter again and the pain can be excruciating at times. I have seen a podiatrist, (who did x-rays and a CT scan) and a chiropractor. Podiatrist said my foot is full of arthritis and my options are injections, orthotics and bone fusion! I have said all along that my shin bone seems "off", as it looks off-center as it connects to my ankle. I don't know where to turn now, and am to the point of just having the darn thing amputated so I don't hurt anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Posted

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm 30 days post-op and it's been going fine. About a week after I noticed my shin was very tender to touch. Fast forward to 3 days ago and out of nowhere my ankle and foot are causing terrible pain. Just moving it is extremely painful. I can't imagine what the problem is. I've not fallen or twisted it. No problems with PT. It's waking me up at night because if I move my foot the awful pain wakes me up. Any ideas?

• Posted

Its been 9 yrs since my dtkr and the past 2 yearsim experiencing real bad pains in my ankles and heelswhere i am no longer able to walk.

• Posted

Omigosh! I am so sorry for your pain! It is so hard when we think we are doing something to make our lives better and down the road it ends up being worse. I pray you find relief!!

• Posted

I had a tkr 17 days ago and hopefully have gone through the worst. Can't believe how painful the outside of my shin is to touch and cannot reduce the swelling in my ankle. I have severe bruising under my foot and around the back of my heel, cannot stand any pressure on it. Has anyone else had this experience??

• Posted

My sister was severely bruised after her tkr, but I was not. Hopefully, you are better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.