Ankle seems worse now that I'm using it more

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi haven't posted in a bit, hope everyone is getting better. About 2weeks ago my surgeon told me to ditch the boot and the crutches, well still can't walk without nothing and the pain seems worse than ever. I understand it will be bad pain, I'm bearing weight on it, walking down the stairs holding railings of corse, even standing in shower, but it is so stiff still, and I'm doing exercises, can the humidity make it worse? And would I know if I had an infection...just seems to swell more, and today is the first time I have taken advil in about 2months...Oh should say I broke the tib fib and have nail and 5screws happened 5/22/16 sorry for ramblings on. Just worried...as usual. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tracy,

My underdstanding is that this is normal when you start walking. I experienced the same. I was so scared that I went to the ER where they told me this was normal. Then I found this site and found that we all experienced what you are. I am now 20 weeks and walking like a normal person! I still have some swelling at days end and am told to expect that for a long time. Hang in there with your PT and RICE.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I understand how you feel. I am 2 months ahead of you, recovering from a broken fibula that required 1 screw and no plates. I have been doing all that I am suppose to to recover but have not gone one day without swallowing Tylenol, Advil, ALeve, and RICE it to try to limit the swelling and pain. And the skin seems warmer to the touch in the inflamed area... I think that is to be expected along with the swelling. It's all part of the complex inflammatory cascade that help with the healing. I wonder about infection too but it does not make sense unless there was a way for bacteria in. 

• Posted

Make sure if you are takling anti imflammatories that you do it under surpevision and take other meds to protect your stomach..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.