Ankle surgery repair

Posted , 9 users are following.

I broke my ankle and wrist am 6 weeks after surgery for ankle pins screws and plate was told do not need physical therapy but I am so afraid to try to bear weight on it does anyone know of a website to help me??? Frustrated beyond belief!

0 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I broke my left ankle (broken fibula and torn ligament) 7Feb ... Surgery on 16Feb (1 plate with 6 screws, also repair of the ligament.

I have now been NWB for 9 weeks 2days, until today, my doctor released me to walk in the boot, unassisted. He did say I could use crutches or a walker depending on how I feel balance wise. He told me to do range of motion exercises 2x's a day, but otherwise I would not need PT unless there was a problem with my own progress.

I was very surprised! I have had posterior tibialis tendonitis - tendon transfer surgery in that same foot 11 years ago and I had to have PT to return to walking... and my doctor agreed when I discussed that because he said that is a much harder thing to recover to walking from.

So I'm on boot walking for 2 weeks and then he wants even regular shoe walking after that!!! We will see how that goes... Next appointment in 4 weeks!

But THANKS GOODNESS!! FINALLY I'M WALKING 🙌😊

• Posted

Interesting.  I also broke my fibula and have a torn ligament from a skiing accident in February. Plates/screws, the usual. I was 8 weeks NWB, into my first week now of 25% WB with crutches, which will increase this Saturday to 50%, a week later 75% and then finally total WB on May 7.  I also have a syndesmosis injury (tendon) and the long screw for that will be removed May 13.  Also do range of motion exercises daily.  So very similar experiences here.  However, I am surprised he isn't ordering PT for you.  I would think that's a must.  I have someone come to the house (insurance thankfully pays) twice a week for the next month and then more outside facility PT sessions.  And I am doing very well.  I just think they want you using the foot in the correct way.  Seems each doctor has their own method but am a little surprised at how quickly he's returning you to walking.  Ron
    • Posted

Ron.....I had no tendon damage I had a lateral fibula plate and screws done and the medial malleoius had 2 screws put in on the ankle along with a broken wrist that was casted my healing on my ankle at six weeks was normal with minimal swelling I actually got around quite well with a boot and cane today even was able to navigate stairs with railing help ....I still hope I am doing things properly was told to let pain be my guide so far pain is the normal tingly and soreness I had before weight bearing stretching and massaging and soaking and icing has helped the last two days I actually was pretty immobile before two days ago my accident was on 2/25/2016 Trying to go by Drs orders if I don't make progress or feel something is really wrong I will insist on PT my insurance does cover it just not my Drs protocol for recovery from this surgery keeping my fingers crossed he is right
    • Posted

Ok, Lisa, I understand more clearly now.  Fingers crossed that you heal quickly!
    • Posted

Ron did you have your tendon injury at the same time as your ankle break & torn ligament in February?

Mine were 2 separate incidents, 11 years apart. I still have the long screw in my heel also. The recovery period, to return to walking, from the tendon transfer surgery was difficult for me. At HAD to have PT and for years didn't trust my left foot after.

My orthopedist says the recovery for my ligament tear and fibula break are easier to recover from than Posterior tibial tendon dysfunction -tendon transfer surgery . Unless I need PT and cannot progress as I should would he really need to proceed with physical therapy.

Believe me, I thought I'd be like everyone else and start a 25%, 50%.... Progression until fully walking without anything... But I'm taking everything slow and easy... Using my walker or a crutch by me just in case. 👍

• Posted

Wow I have some typos ...
    • Posted

Yay! You went straight to walking unassisted? That's amazing! So happy for you! 
    • Posted

Yeah!!! But very scary! On a scooter & not walking since 7Feb, to walking in a big boot!?!? I think not! So I'm using my Grandaddy scooter (or a crutch).

My foot on top is almost completely numb still. Doctor says few places on the edge MAY not get the feeling back 😳 !

But my first night I'm going to sleep with nothing on my foot ... This should be nice.

I am still elevating my foot though. Maybe I should have asked about that, I guess I can lay it down normal...? I've not stopped elevating it since I broke my ankle, I'm sure that's why I have no swelling at all. Couldn't be a bad thing since I'm going to start using it?

• Posted

Hi Pix! I have exactly that same numb feeling on top of my foot and it hurts too, right?  I noticed it as soon as I got my cast off about 2 weeks ago, and wonder if it is irritation and pressure from having the cast on for so long. I haven't heard anyone else talking about this issue. Glad you brought it up. It seems especially strange to me to have that pain on top of the foot, and no pain on my three broken ankle bones. To work on it, I have been rubbing it with cream 3x a day, soaking it in warm water, and then icing it. It has gotten better every day and now is 50% better after about two weeks. Try massaging it....I think you may slowly get feeling back if you do. I can't believe your doctor is saying so early that you may not get feeling back in some places. I would work it and see if you can reverse this!

I also wondered about whether I should sleep with my foot elevated, since the cast came off. They gave me a soft sleeping boot, which I really like, so I don't hurt my foot in the night, and to keep it in a good healing position. I can send you info if you want. I think it has a label on it, if I recall correctly. What I like is I can finally sleep on my side with my leg up in the air, instead of being on my back all the time, as I really got tired of that! What a relief to have the foot out of the cast! I feel it's better to sleep with the foot elevated, if you can stand it. 7-8 hours without it elevated may make you wake up in the middle of the night with it pounding, which would be horrible.

• Posted

I found a cane to be the easiest to use less bulky than the crutch or walker hold it on your good side and lead with the good leg it has worked well for me. For the numbness get some comfrey salve/lotion it was suggested to me ...seems to help
    • Posted

Pix, just seeing this this morning.  Yes, I had my tendon injury at same time as my broken fibula.  Screw scheduled to be removed on May 13, 12 weeks from surgery.  One forum poster said his doctor did not remove that particular screw but that eventually it would break in two pieces but that would be fine as well!  Oh well, each doctor is different, I guess.  I must say, the team at Hospital for Special Surgery here in NYC has been amazing.  Considered one of the best hospitals in the country for any orthopaedic work, and they do a lot of the major athletes.  So I totally trust their way of going about surgery/recovery.  I'm attaching a pic here of my xray so you can see what I have.  (Sorry I can't rotate it properly.)  You can clearly see the long screw that will be removed.  The other hardware will remain in unless it bothers me at some point.  Ron
    • Posted

Yes, I agree, every Dr is different and every injury is different also so indeed trust in your Dr! Especially if they are at one of the best hospitals in the country! 👍 My long screw is in a completely different place though. You must have needed more support for that break.(?)

I can understand why you needed PT since you're dealing with 3 injuries at the same time. Hopefully your going to make/making it up those stairs to your bedroom soon!

• Posted

I will look into your suggestions, thank you so much!
    • Posted

Yes!!! The top of my foot (and curve of the top of my foot going to my ankle) has been about the most pain I have endured this entire time!! 😡😫 Excruciating at times and started after I had surgery.

I only realized it was numb below by toenails while in the cast but when my cast came off 3 weeks ago I knew it was all numb. I have been rubbing it and hoping the feeling will come back like after any surgery. I wasn't too surprised when my Dr said there were a couple of spots on the side that may not have feeling come back, I realize that can happen in surgery.

I am so happy you have your cast off, and have a sleeping boot so you can sleep on your side - I know how much you wanted that! 😴 Yes, I agree elevation is the key, I'm going to keep it up... See what I did there, lol!

I don't think I'm going to need the sleeping boot information, I did pretty good last night. I guess after 10 1/2 weeks elevated, my leg is pretty trained now.

My mother brought my dog back to me this week so I have to, again, get used to being woken up 3x's or more a night to let her go outside. And I can't sleep late anymore she wake me up early too ... I can't believe I missed her so much ❤️🐶

• Posted

Yay!  So glad you got your dog back! My two little dogs who stay with me in the daytime, get taken care of at night and I am looking forward to having them back with me permanently starting next week too. The up and down to let them out I thought was just going to be too much for me too. Now it's just great exercise!

One more thing to try on the top and on the side of your foot, if you want to try something else: I bought an aloe vera plant from a garden shop nearby (and planted it in an easily accessible place, where it could have afternoon sun). Every day for the last 2 days, I have cut one large leaf off, and refrigerated it. Then I slice the leaf down on each side and get to this clear meat of the aloe vera plant. Then I place it on my scar and on the more desensitized area of my foot, then I wrap it very loosely with one or two ace bandages, so I can keep it in place and yet still wear it under my boot without getting my boot dirty. I change it at night with new pieces. When I replace it, a lot of the meat has soaked into my foot, and it's more like a thick leaf that is left. The cold feels so darn good on the foot and it is really helping loosen up my foot. Every day it gets better and my scar is looking great. I think it is helping for that too. If you don't want to use the plant itself, which is the freshest, maybe there is a good alternaive at a health food store near you as well. Just an idea. 

Be well- Patti

• Posted

Well having our dog's near is just what we need! She helps my brighten my mood so much! She will not get as much exercise and running as she did in the country with my parents dog (she lost at least 10 lbs!!). She stays inside more and stares at me all day!! LOL, but I will get her to the dog park now that I'm trying to walk!

My mother has a gigantic aloe vera plant... Biggest I've ever seen, maybe I'll get some of it next week. I did purchase rose hip oil and lavender oil as I heard they are great in healing scars. I'm not super concerned about the scars though... I already have scars on both sides of the same foot from my tendon transfer surgery. This surgery has only left me with the scar from the ligament repair which is above the long tendon repair scar. Where I had the plate with screws put on the fibula I had a tattoo, so my Dr did a great job not to damage that and used inside & outside stitches that dissolved.

• Posted

You are tough! That's a lot of repairs! Soon you'll be good as new! Be sure to massage the area well when you can, because it's good to break down the scar tissue which can build up and get in your way leter.  I never thought about a tattoo and how that could get in the way of surgeries. He sounds like a thoughtful surgeon. Keep hugging that doggie of yours...love is the greatest healer! My doggies are very little and very old, but I love them dearly and they love just lying next to me when I am resting and following me around as I hobble through the house. They don't hear well anymore and there were a few times I thought I was going to take a tumble on my knee scooter when they would run aside me and cut in in front of me...thank goodness for brakes!
    • Posted

My dog is turning 6 in June and is a handful... But she definitely doesn't get in the way of the scooter/walker/crutches she is scared of them!
    • Posted

Hear what you mean, Pix.  Dogs bark at me when I'm walking outside on my knee scooter!
    • Posted

Pix2020,

I have a puppy been afraid to get her back from my sisters but going to do a trial run with her this weekend I hope the scooter/cane scares her I have missed my little baby! Luckily I don't think there will be any more ice here so I think I will be able to let her out!

• Posted

Yeah! Neighbors dog's never liked my scooter either!! LOL!
    • Posted

Getting your baby back even for a trial run will lift your spirits! Just seeing pictures of my pup when she was away was helpful. Now that she's home I have someone to talk to hahaha!!
    • Posted

At six she must be very energetic! Sounds like she had a great vacation with your folks. Mine are so small and old, running around the house is a big workout for them.  it's good she's afraid of the scooter/walker/crutches! Ever feel like you are in the geriatric ward with all this stuff? I do! On top of all that, I also had a wheel chair I used for the first 3 weeks to keep my leg up, because the crutches were hurting my palms. I was so glad several weeks ago when I put that down in the garage. Can't wait to give it back to my dad....he's been running around overseas on a boat cruise for the last month with my mom and they are 80....made me feel kind of weird when I was here using his wheelchair, while they were out doing all that at their age- they were probably dancing onboard too! Sometimes you have to laugh! 
    • Posted

I definitely feel like I'm a geriatric and helpless using all this equipment to help me get around! It is funny weird that your older parents are out enjoying the good life cruising when you were home in a wheelchair for a time. The things in life we have to endure. It is great though that your parents able to do those thing's!!! In time we will too 😀
    • Posted

We will enjoy it more than the others when we do smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.