Ankle Surgery-Screw Removal-Anyone had this done?

Posted , 18 users are following.

My first surgery for my ankle was July 8th when I had to get a rod and ten screws on my fibula about halfway up, two screws in my ankle, one at the very bottom of my tibia going up at an angle for a hairline fracture and another long screw in my fibula going straight through and into my tibia. I'm getting the last screw removed and am not sure what to expect.. Anyone experienced something like this? I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but I'm still learning how to walk from the hardware being put in so I'm really not looking forward to this. Experience? How long is recovery? Walking after?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Laken,

When my screws were removed, the doc made an incision just large enough to use a screw driver to reverse the screw. One stitch. No pain. Just am inconvenience having to keeo it dry.

Being a curious person. I requested that the screws be returned to me...they are nothing like what you purchase from the hardware. Theu are so light weight...and hollow!

I hope your screw removal is easy.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Shantell, I have to have my (2) screws removed early next year.  Everything else, stays in.  Just curious:  Did they put you to sleep or just block that area?  My doctor told me, I would be put to sleep, but that it woudln't take 15-20 minutes.  I'm sorry you're in a lot of pain. I hope they gave you something to take.  Thinking of you!  Beth

• Posted

One more questoin:  How long after they did your fist surgery (Shantell), before they removed your screws?  I had my surgery on Friday, May 13th and my doctor said it would be 10-12 months, before he removed the screws.  Thanks!  Beth
    • Posted

Hey beth i had all of the hardware removed because it was causing a infection and i initially had my first surgery july 27 ,2016 so its been three month and i had to be put to sleep..the pain is okay ..my doctor said o can do parcial weight bearing but right now im scared sp maybe in the next couple days but my bones are all healed...wish u the best
    • Posted

Hi Shantell, I definitely understand that scared part!  It is scary when you haven't put weight down and then it's time to start trying to do so.  I know for me, I was (honestly) terrified.  I was just scared to death!  LOL  Thank God I was able to finally do it, but it's just one of those steps (no pun intended - hee hee) that we all have to take.  And I wish you the best too!  biggrin

• Posted

Thanks i think i will start weight bearing because before surgery yesturday i was walkin fine..my doctor said its okay so i guess u should start
    • Posted

hi, thank you for sharing. i am thinking about getting my hardware removed from my ankle pretty soon, i was wondering since you have removed yours already, if the swelling has gone completely down? mine swells up even after 6 months and it bothers me.
  • Posted

I had 1 plate and 8 long screws removed from my left ankle at 6.5 months He left 1 long plate on thevtibia and 8 short screws in on same foot due to no pain with that one. What I want to share with everyone is 1 I am 57 2 the hardware did hurt .3 after screws r removed at least atg my age but I am healthy and only 120lbs ,u need time to get back on your feet My doctor even has me on 1 crutch but i CANslowly put my foot down and walk in sneaskers So do not beat yourself up when you read these posts like oh the screws came out and they were walking around the next dat IT IS SORE AND IT IS NORMAL give yourself at least 3 weeks. U will get an xray at 6 weeks to tell u the holes healed and then slowly get your motion back but that pain will be gone .the incision and nerves is the big part I would baby myself for 2 months beca use itvis the test of your life to be happy ok I hope that helps
  • Posted

I had left ankle surgery 2-2017  created an arch, repaired completely torn tendon and repaired heel. 7 screws. Then in 11-2017 my right ankle needed an arch repair, broke and moved big toe. I have 13 screws and 1 plate. My right foot has healed nicely but my left foot has never been un swollen. It’s been 13 months and my left foot bones have healed. When the dr pushed on the screws which was in my swollen area I about hit the roof. I’m having 3 removed in April. I have literally tried everything to get the swelling down in this foot short of suspending it from the ceiling!!  I’m thinking I used it too much pushing myself around on the scooter when I couldn’t put weight on my right foot. Who knows. I was hoping more people had swelling issues and what they did besides surgery. Although I’ve heard it’s a quick easy surgery - there’s always that one problem surgery 🙋???

• Posted

Why are they taking the screw out? Are you having problems with it? I have a plate and 6 screws on my fibula, and the other two just like yours.None of mine are going to be removed. 
    • Posted

Because the swelling has never gone down. In fact it’s been getting worse- I can stand/walk on it for maybe 30 min at a time. I’m having the screws that bother me removed on the 23rd then I wear the wonderful boot for 3 weeks 24/7. 
  • Posted

Hi I know the original post was over a year ago but I was wondering how it all turned out for you I had my first op 3 years ago in August I broke my ankle in 3 places and currently have 3 plates and 15 screws I have been getting a lot of swelling and pain recently so had my ankle X-rayed and they noticed one of the screws have come loose so they want to operate this week to remove one plate and a few screws I was just wondering how long it took to recover from this and how bad the pain was after ?
    • Posted

Yikes!!  I’m not having my surgery till the 23rd. I was told I’ll be wearing the boot for 3 weeks 24/7.   Let us know how you do!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.