ANKLE SWELLING

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Hippies!  I had surgery to replace my left hip two weeks ago today.  I am so pleased to say I am walking without the walker (although too soon to ditch it, much as I'd like to) and am thrilled after 4 months of conservative treatment I am now able to walk again.  However, maybe I did too much my first day, yesterday, but I am having a lot of swelling in my left ankle.  Is this likely to go away with time, or do I need to go back to the surgeon and ask him to see what's going on with my ankle?  Thank you all, this forum has helped me through some dark days, and am happy to say I am recuperating nicely.  Janet

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Dear Janet

It's very early days really so don't panic! I would be inclined to pat yourself on the back and take it very easy and continue to use both crutches until you have built up really good strength in your muscles so that you do not have any hint of limping.

To be free of walking aids too fast is pointless as I've discovered! When I stepped back and picked up the crutches for a while my progress was much more solid and fast.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thank you, Richard.  I believe you are correct - I was so excited to walk yesterday after not walking for 4+ months that I probably overdid it.  But the swelling came right back immediately today as soon as I put my foot down, so it has me worried.  I will work on being patient! and thank you for your kind advice.
  • Posted

Janet,

Nothing to worry about at this point. I'm at over 8 weeks and my ankle still swells on occasion. It did quite a bit during the first few weeks. Keep elevating it as much as possible and icing it. So, give it some time and great news that you're losing your walking props! I got rid of my walker in the first few days and my cane after about 4-5 weeks so you're doing great! Don't push it though. Let it happen as it's supposed to. 

Cormac

• Posted

Thank you, Cormac.  I rely on the sound advice I find here in this forum and your suggestions are no different.  I will slow it down and work on my patience!  Best, Janet
  • Posted

Get that leg up above your pelvis if possible, bed is a good place, and don;t forget to stretch your ankle out, toes out as far and you can go, and then toes back towards shins as far as you can go, repeat and repeat, when I am sitting down, i now drive husband nuts, with wobbling my ankles, has become second nature, and stretch out feet, gives your shins a good workout and pumps your blood up into your torso.  Another exercise to try is on the bed, and push the back of you knees into the bed as hard as you can, and repeat and repeat, again good for pumping blood, also butt crunches, using those big muscles in your backside to move blood about.
    • Posted

Thank you, Lyn.  I've had it propped up on a pillow with a ice pack on top for most of the day.  Probably did too much yesterday.  Thank you for the reminder about the exercises.  Best, Janet

• Posted

were you not told you couldn't elevate the operated leg? I was told i couldn't. xx

• Posted

Hi Janet,

I had a total hip replacement also 2 weeks ago,and also have swelling on my ankle and foot of my operated leg.

Had a routine check with my consultant on the 19th who said this is normal and to carry on doing the exercises and to walk.

Glad your recovery is going well.

Gail

• Posted

Thank you, Gail.  Hope your recuperation continues well.  Janet

• Posted

Usually does swell but I would get your blood pressure checked too. Best thing if you can is to go to bed every afternoon for two hours. Is great for getting rid of excess fluid. X
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I lost a lot of blood during surgery, had to be transfused, and now have low blood volume and pressure, causing lightheadedness.  Thank goodness I understand this will correct itself as well eventually.  Thanks for your comment Auntie B.
  • Posted

My RTHR was 2 weeks ago tomorrow and I have knee pain and swelling. After speaking to the physio at the hospital it is all perfectly normal. Your body is getting used to waking again and walking in a different way. You’re using muscles that may not have been used for a long time.  There’s lots of internal swelling too that needs to settle down. Getting balance between exerercise and rest is crucial. Elevate and ice is key too. I was also advised not to ditch the walking aids too soon, using both of my crutches will ensure I remain balanced and ensure I have a good gait going forward and correct the bad posture I had unavoidable created due to pain pre op. 

Best of luck and take things steady. 

• Posted

Hi Kimberley:  My ice pack is my best friend!  Thank you for the reminder that this is all new to my (old) body and it's true I haven't used those muscles in months, just troubled because of stiffness and now swelling in the ankle.  I'll be patient smile

• Posted

As others have said it's normal to get ankle swelling. Get plenty of rest and it'll go away as you heal. 👣

• Posted

Hi janet

Take each day as it comes 4 months is no time.  It's 20 months since I had the hip replacement and I'm still having problems with my ankle.  I still use a crutch for support because last May I dislocated my hip bending down in the garden.  When I first had my hip replacement I keep seeking advice on my foot and ankle and all they kept telling me was it was too soon to tell.  Just think on the positive side you are thrilled to be able to walk again and you are recuperating nicely.

All the best Brenda

• Posted

Hi Brenda:  I was so excited on Tuesday that I was walking I told everyone I spoke to!  Some didn't get what the big deal was; on the flip side, I thought my sister-in-law was going to cry with me because I was just so very grateful to feel somewhat "normal" walking again.  Thanks for your comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.