ANKLE SWELLING

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Hippies!  I had surgery to replace my left hip two weeks ago today.  I am so pleased to say I am walking without the walker (although too soon to ditch it, much as I'd like to) and am thrilled after 4 months of conservative treatment I am now able to walk again.  However, maybe I did too much my first day, yesterday, but I am having a lot of swelling in my left ankle.  Is this likely to go away with time, or do I need to go back to the surgeon and ask him to see what's going on with my ankle?  Thank you all, this forum has helped me through some dark days, and am happy to say I am recuperating nicely.  Janet

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Janet, I think you have answered your own question: you probably overdid it - you are in good company! 

Don't panic, just take it easy for a day or so, keep your leg elevated, the swelling should go down very soon.

• Posted

Thank you, Nan.  My logical brain won't override my mechanical hip at this point, saying well I can walk so why am I having reactions to "just" walking?  I think it is HUGE I am able to walk normally less than two weeks after surgery, just concerned because the ankle swelled and stayed swelled.  I've had an ultrasound to r/o any possible blood clot so I just need to take it easy and keep it up when I can.  I appreciate your response.

• Edited

hi janet, 

I agree --- very early in recovery and yes, swelling is normal 

It is a major invasive surgery where your leg was twisted and pulled to dislocate the hip joint -

Swelling post-op 1st THR started upper thigh and went down to ankle where it stayed for 2 weeks - red, swollen and rigid, but I had no fever ... it went down gradually ..

Are you on blood-thinners?  

I am happy for you that you are happy ... amazing feeling right ? Now just don't get cocky ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee - thank you for the smile - I DID get cocky once I was walking on Tuesday and was ready to throw away the walker!  My body let me know otherwise - swollen ankle and knee and I broke my knee and my foot 3 years ago, so the swelling in those areas now makes sense to me.  My knee was so sore yesterday I could hardly walk even WITH the walker.  No worries, obviously I just need to listen to my body and mentally, work on some patience!  Thank you for the big hug - back atcha!  Janet
  • Posted

Janet, I would call the surgeon to see what he or she says, but I think this is pretty normal. This was major surgery after all, and your whole body was traumatized. I had a lot of post-op swelling in various places, especially if I overdid the exercise. Elevate your left leg and see if that helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Mama.  It occurred to me today that I have  broken my knee cap and a bone in my foot, and those breaks, while 3 years old, apparently are somewhat more traumatized than the rest of me as they are both swollen and today my knee is very sore.  A chiropractor friend said my lymphatic system has been messed with, and that is why I am swelling.  In any event, taking it easy today with my feet up.  Thank you for your message. 
  • Posted

Hi Janet, sounds like your doing great, you might want to just call your Dr too check that this is normal after 4 months.

l had my Total Hip Replacement 7 days ago, I've been out the hospital 4 days now, and feeling good, walking great, l can even get in and out of bed myself With a robe belt that l use to lift my leg up on to the bed.

Everything is great except my leg is still a bit numb and tingling, l had the spinal block for anesthesia. The ankle swelling seems to be getting worse l have an adjustable bed so that has really helped with elevation and l ice it a lot, but it is very hot and tight when l lay down, did any one else have this tightness like a vice gripping my ankle and hotness?

• Posted

hi my lovely I am 12 days post surgery.. walking around the house without crutches.. only using one in the stairs, but two outside. How are you coping having to lie on your back to sleep? Its driving me nuts as i have a back problem.... so cant wait until i can lie on my side again.I see your having problems with your ankles swelling. Mine were fine until about 4 days ago and now they are so swollen and sore. I was told we cant elevate our legs... so makes it harder to drain away the fluid.

I have tried all the usual rotating the ankles .. drinking more fluids etc but nothing helps. Im at the hospital on Tuesday for a wound check so i'll ask about them and what we can do about it... I will let you know if I find a solution. Its so annoying when you've not had much pain from the site of surgery ... but have pain from swollen ankles. I read that putting an ice pack on helps .. but as you will know its a little difficult with your legs down

speedy recovery my lovely xxx

• Posted

hi my lovely I am 12 days post surgery.. walking around the house without crutches.. only using one in the stairs, but two outside. How are you coping having to lie on your back to sleep? Its driving me nuts as i have a back problem.... so cant wait until i can lie on my side again.I see your having problems with your ankles swelling. Mine were fine until about 4 days ago and now they are so swollen and sore. I was told we cant elevate our legs... so makes it harder to drain away the fluid.

I have tried all the usual rotating the ankles .. drinking more fluids etc but nothing helps. Im at the hospital on Tuesday for a wound check so i'll ask about them and what we can do about it... I will let you know if I find a solution. Its so annoying when you've not had much pain from the site of surgery ... but have pain from swollen ankles. I read that putting an ice pack on helps .. but as you will know its a little difficult with your legs down

speedy recovery my lovely xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.