Ankylosing Spondylitis in remission in 3 weeks

Posted , 31 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Long story short I have been fighting AS for more than a decade. I couldnt walk without the feeling of pins and needle, I couldn't sleep because I was sleeping on pins and needles, my stomach hurt constantly, heart burn all the time, my neck felt like one piece, lock jaw all the time and if I layed down for a while I would get stuck in that position.

after years on embrel and indomethacin I stopped taking all medication two months ago and changed my diet to one that fit me. I can confidently say my AS is in remission and I just had my first burger since starting he diet 30 days ago and had no effect from the burger

i will still continue to stay on the diet becuase I just feel better

i lost 15 lbs in the last three weeks. 138 to 123 and now I'm slowly gaining it back as muscle mass because I can finally work out. 

I spring out of Bed,sleep throug the nite, starting to become more flexible everyday.  I will update every month to keep you guys up to date on how long I can go cured and what limits I can push on food

believe it or not week one two and three of my diet was a rotation or beef bone soup and chicken feet bone soup.  I will continue to update as I go. Cheers

6 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elias

I have been gluten / corn and restrict cows milk much of time.

I went from bent double in pain, limping with sore hips, lethargy, headaches, stiff neck / sore shoulder blades and rotator cuff.  By 30 I was running half marathons - and still beat my 14 year old in a sprint today at 48

I started my diet changes 22 years ago at age 26 - I am now 48.

I am so glad that you too have found that diet change has helped you!  Keep us updated and happy to discuss more - as I am a real bore on the subject!

Best wishes

• Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

My temporary remission is now 22 years.  I'm not 100% cured but I don't need drugs.

Dr. Gail Darlington (a rheumatologist) that used an elimination diet to treat successfully many people - was challenged by her colleagues that her patients were experiencing a placebo effect.  Her reply was a classic "to suggest that all these patients happened to go in to spontaneous and sustained remission at the same time as they started the elimination diet, is stretching coincidence to the point of incredulity".

She goes on to say in her book.. Some patients treated with elimination diets in the early 1980s where still drug free after 12 years (when her book was written) - but others  relapsed because they did not sustain their commitment to the diet.

It is my assertion that autoimmune diseases are rarely just the body attacking oneself - but is a misdirected attack on self based on the presence of something that the immune system has decided to create antibodies to - it is not an over reactive immune system - it is a week immune system that is unable to remove the "self" antibodies that are always created when the body is under attack from something (this happens in healthy people too)

- bacteria (klebsiella, proteus / mycoplasma)

- viruses (Epstein Barr implicated in MS)

- Foods

Google "Dr. Allesio Fasano, gluten" on YouTube and watch the 57 minutes talk that he gave just last year and you will see the the interplay between intestinal permeability caused by bacteria and foods is not the main research area for so called "autoimmune" diseases  

• Posted

My treatment for my AS was also to treat my Leaky gut and hence the diet helped a ton.  It's funny that sometimes everything clicks and you understand.  12 years ago I had a hurrible tooth ache. I didn't want to go the dentist so instead I ate 4 to 5 ibuprofen a day for 2 years until I finally had it fixed. I'm convinced this is what triggered my AS and cause my body to feel like a fused bamboo stick.  I have been deathly afraid of my bones fusing because I didn't want to be like that the rest of my life. Apperently it wasn't fused because my mobility is returning every morning I have woke up the last 10 days saying the same thing "wow I feel way better than yesterday morning"I documented everyday how I felt and what I ate.  Before starting up my morning I would grade myself on how I felt. With AS it does get better as you move so waking up with little or no pain/inflammation is all new to be.  

I started with a grade 0 now I'm up to a 9 out of 10.. My new diet I started 4 weeks ago consisted in beef knuckle Bone broth only for two weeks. I'm no scientist but I know what my body feels.  All sorts of stuff came out of me and I later learned that it's a strong detox soup. Week 3 and four I added rice but in between meals I'm drinking chicken feet broth. There is a difference in soups.  Beef soup or knuckle soup seems to detoxify my system extremely fast while chicken feet soup seems to relief my arthritis type symptoms. For me I can care less about a cure for AS. I just want two things.  No stiffness and no pain. I keep this diet up and just recently added wheat and starch back. Before the diet any starch and I would paralyzed for the rest of the day and the same went with dairy. I would instantly flare up. I can now drink milk with no diarhea but can also eat white bread without flare ups. I've never had full relief in the past decade like I do today.  Don't listen to people like CA-Lynn is how I get better everyday. People that think they know without asking question or people who are too stubborn to take other peoples experiences and opinions. I do think the gaps diet is right though or at least the concept. I don't think they are right in every way but one thing is for sure. "All disease begins in the gut" that's one of the greats "Hippocrates".  

• Posted

Bone broth was the answer for my AS and leaky Gut. Bone broth is rich in collagen and glucosamine and is well documented to help with leaky gut and lower inflammation and treating arthritis! I read that there was a case of a knee injury and bone broth ended up healing and building cartilage and bone.

I prefer chicken feet for the arthritis and beef knuckle soup for detox and leaky gut. The broth is cooked on a pressure cooker for 48 hours and pretty much after freezing and taking the fat layer out its nearly an all protein drink and a much safer way to detox than juicing.  for the chicken feet I only use chicken feet,lots of fresh garlic and green onion.  This sounds weird and I can't explain why but the soup seems to be extremely potent if you don't put carrots and celery. it still helps with it but I noticed like instant body relief without the adds of vegetables.  So I jus stopped using those things and yea it doesn't taste better without it. 

i guess three weeks of constant collagen and glucosamine must have been enough to seal it for now.  One of the reason I know its the diet is because the more soup or better soup I made the faster my condition was going away.  Today at noon I tested a chocolate cookie, chocolate cup cake,dairy cake with filling, fried crab in canola oil, and white break amd the usual rice and side dishes.  It's been 8 hours so far and no side effects or any flare ups.  Well have to see how iam tomorrow but I feel good at the moment. 

Tomorrow will be sushi with vinager.  

You know I thought a lot about what CA Lynn said and the more I think about it the more it makes sense.  It was more than just a diet, the diet was I think the single most important thing but I think the way I went about handling my diet helped tons.  At the end of the day Iam cured for the time being. We'll see if it comes back. 

• Posted

So here's my experience with your so called spontaneous remission. 

I know what it feels like when AS is shutdown mainly because every time I took embrel in a matter of 30 minutes I could feet it gone. For me embrel was a miracle drug specially the indomethacin on top of it. After tons of different combos that was the best results with the least amount of side effect.  With the diet though it's hard to explain but I felt my body fixing and repairing and it wasn't instant relief with was steps dy by day.  I agree with you that people new to AS need to go through standard treatment.  There's a stat out there I forgot where I read it but Apperently 30% of patients that under go treatment go into remission. However this is the part you don't understand is that the remaining 70 Those different meds and combinations does a number on your body. While on them I was good but off them I could not survive.  Let me tell you that's horrible way to live. At the same time I'm a firm believer that what works for me doesn't work for everyone. But here's thing there are people it will work for and that is good enough for me. 

I like your last response because there was something to talk about and I enjoy going back and forth as long as it's not negative. I will answer any question you want. I'm convinced that I got leaky gut from all the meds like sulfasalazine, indomethacin, naproxen, ibuprofen and pretty much killed tons of good bacteria at the same time. <<<<< now that is not treatment. 

• Posted

fantastic....u give me hope....I also have AS and have started this diet...but tell me...where you eating the meat also or just taking the broth??? I am not sure weather I should go on to eat the meat but the broth is fantastic...Please let us know how u are getting on.....
  • Posted

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up