another crappy day on fluoxetine

Posted , 10 users are following.

beginning to wonder if indeed fluoxetine is for me, or not. the bad days are still outweighing the good days by something like 4 to 1, not good odds. and  im on day37 or 38 of 40mgs, plus 8 wks of 20 mgs. today rubbish again with pounding head this time, nervous twitchy agitated type of day which in turn makes me further agitated. patience is a virtue they say, do they sell it in tescos or what. so apart from grumpy old me i hope everybody else is coping with life a wee bit better.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When I initially took meds it took a good 6 months to a year before these setbacks / blips stopped.  At first they came back to haunt me quite regular, and as time went on they got less and less.  Each time I'd feel down it just seemed worse than the last one, but I think it was just that I'd forget how they felt, and every time they came back it was woah!  When I felt good I felt on top of the world, then when a blip came it felt like I'd never get out of it.  It's strange how they make you quickly forget how well you felt a few weeks or so before.

Theyre a pain is the ass, but it seems they're a normal part of recovery.  Some blips can last a few days, some weeks.

Walking on the beach sounds a great way to blow some cobwebs away.  Carry on getting out each day if you can, try and get to bed early, even just to read - it'll make all the difference.

We're all routing for you David xxxx

• Posted

wow so the blips can potentialy be around for quite a while, that is a pain! but it's a pain worth living with if they become less frequent in time smile as you say when you've felt good for a few days it catches you unawares when a bad day sneaks up and bites yer bum! Yes I really must try and get out every day for a wander, when I do get there I always enjoy it. Thankyou so much for your support Kate cheesygrin xx
    • Posted

Yes they can be around for a while, but don't forget by that time (6 months onwards) you might only get 1 in months.  That was my experience anyway - some people might not get any after a while.

Getting out in the fresh air, doing things, getting to bed early won't make you feel great immediately, but continuing like that should help to start to life you again.  Such a pain when all we want to do is hide under the duvet when we feel like that.

• Posted

.... lift you again, not life you ;-)
    • Posted

oh please, do'nt mention the duvet, I love my duvet, we are getting married next week hahahaha cheesygrin
  • Posted

Beginning to wonder the same!... Today I walked out of work for the first time ever!

cos of a panic attack that went on over an hour...what's the point..but what's the alternative? X

• Posted

oh my goodness panic attacks are just so scarey, the 1st one I had years ago I thought I was having a heart attack with all the hyperventilating etc, thankfully it's rare I get a full blown one now. as to the alternative? is their one? before the start of my fluoxetine I was heading for a dark place almost every day, some bizzare thoughts about ending my "life" because I did'nt have one basically. that has changed for the better, I no longer have these thoughts, so the side effects whilst they are soul destroying sometimes, they are nothing compared to the crazy path I was treading. I'm feeling more rational today, perhaps the cold fresh air helped me refocus! so tomorrow another day, hope you have a better one Helen smile X
  • Posted

Hi David,

I think I started on 40 mg about the same time as you, and overall this doseage increase has really been beneficial.  However from last Sunday to Wednesday the anxiety suddenly reared again.  Having started a new job in the New Year I felt that I could not afford to take time off sick.  I think having a focus on work helped, and my anxiety lifted as quickly as it came.  At present I feel "normal" and looking forward to a night away in a hotel for my Birthday.  I think the further you are down the road on this higher dose, any setback is harder and more frustrating to deal with.  I think after this time you are pinning your hopes on feeling good.  As Vix replied to one of my posts, this 'really is a cruel illness' and it doesn't seem to have any logic.  On good days you feel as if you can cope with pretty much anything, but on bad days your confidence in anything is back to zero.  Earlier this week I started googling 'serotonin syndrome' as I though may be my doseage was too high, and the way I was feeling was down to this.  I'm not sure how long you go before trying another med, but personally I'd give it longer.  Not sure if this helps but it is really meant as encouragement.  Regards, Chris.

• Posted

how are you doing today david? xx
    • Posted

hello Karen, I'm doing fine thankyou! My main problem is still the lightheadedness that seems to be with me every day, the headaches are less frequent thank god. Great to here your daughters progress, and new car! Remember the waist long hair that I was neglecting so much earlier on? it's gone, short hair again! Trying to re-invent myself and make a fresh start after quite a traumatic year in 2014, here's hoping 
    • Posted

eeeek, you cut your hair off!! brilliant, bet your head feels much lighter! could it be other medication making you light headed? blood pressure meds can, and flux can lower blood pressure too, as my daughters go too low now sometimes. im glad your doing fine, and hope it continues, if you go for a walk near the sea, chuck some stones in for me, used to love doing that as a kid! big hugs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.