Another day of misery!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

One thing is for sure no matter how many times you have your knee replaced it never gets any easier nor does the pain get any less, I think the opposite is true. Each time you have surgery on the same knee its a little bit more involved then the last each time the pain is a little more intense and no it does not make the recovery any less it just adds. Today I have done just about nothing walked around the house pulled a few weeds turned on the sprinkler ( it is very hot in Va Here in Richmond Va the highs are pushing 105  so I was not out long minutes as in 10? Now I am laying on my sofa and saying I am miserable is putting it mildly and what stinks the only thing that gets easier with each revision is you know beyond a shadow of a doubt for a good while every day is going to hurt some worse then others you go to bed in pain you do not sleep well due to pain you wake up in pain when the therapist comes it is going to be more pain. Yes hopefully in the end it will be worth it for the majority of everyone it will be for me its the unknown I hope so but there are no guarantees.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry you feel so low. Surgery is not a foolproof, exact fix. I've just had a pneumonia shot and the doc damaged my arm by injecting too high. I can't swim or dress myself without intense pain. Try to keep calm and see the positives. You're still alive and you will improve. Believe it! xx

• Posted

Oh my gosh.  The doctor gave you a shot too high!!  Unbelievable.  So sorry.  Usually the nurses do that bad deed....
    • Posted

Yes the pain is quite bad. Will see the silly man again next week when I return to Sydney. I'm in Thailand so at least I can paddle.xx

• Posted

Oh how I know what you are talking about with the pain, but why revisions?   And it's hot as hell down here in NC also!!

• Posted

Im in Annapolis, M.D.. Hot as Hades here too. I have had a total of 18 knee surgeries now between both knees, including a partial and full replacement on the same knee, three years apart.

I made a total recovery from each surgery until the total replacement. The same surgeon did 15 of those surgeries, including the partial. I moved back to Annapolis an had to start over with an orthopedic, who in my opinion, is to cut happy.

Every time I try to bring up the fact I am still having pain, a lot of pain, I get told I have tendonitis. Well, if that is true, then I have had tendonitis since he replaced my knee. The pain is unbelievable at times. I can barely walk at times.

I make a living working with animals. Walking dogs, riding horses, etc. If I don't work, bills don't get paid - like my car payment. I never expected to be pain free, but I said before I agreed to the surgery, that I want to walk and ride relatively pain free.

And he wants to replace my other knee too now. Won't give me cortisone, etc. Just replace it. I saw my old surgeon, who said 1) you don't have tendonitis, 2) pointed out a couple things he didn't like about the way my replacement is sitting in my knee 3) your other knee is bad, but still plenty of space between bones 4) don't understand thinking behind no steroids bc the Dr is concerned about damaging cartilage, but he wants to replace your knee, which removes it all anyway. He then gave me a cortisone injection n said any Tim you need one, come see me.

Years of knowing a Dr and having a good relationship is key. I will never have that with this Dr if only time I see him and not his assistant is in the operating room. I feel if I let him replace my other knee, I'll end up in a wheel chair and he won't give a damn.

I am sorry your going through2 all you are, but it is in hearing stories like hours that make me more determined to keep my original knee. Wishing you better days, Terri

• Posted

I do not think hot even describes it outside this is nuts!! Unless your going somewhere what is the point of being outside!! Well at least according to our fearless leader there is no such thing as Global Warming ( right !!! ) !8 surgeries is a lot and I know it stinks and I am not down playing your knee issues either but I have had 18 surgeries all on the same knee which really makes it fun. Based on what I have been thru some Dr.s are worthless but tell them that. My 5th revision was May 9th 2016 and the end of June 2017 the Dr. I had retired he referred me to another, after a year the pain in my knee was getting worse. Numerous calls, emails thru a patient portal he refused to do anything. He told me Labs were fine and xrays were fine nothing he could do. In fact he thought I was nuts and wanted me to see a neurologist. I got sick of this started looking found another Dr. he took one look and said something is wrong I sent me to have a bone scan and more xrays. The bone scan came back blah it looked like a glow in the dark toy except it was my knee glowing. I ended up getting referred to my present Dr. the last implant was not put in correctly if you look at a bilateral view of both knees the middle part of the joint is supposed to be in alignment with each other my L knee was off by a good amount. So here I am 2 weeks and 2 days from the 6th revision. The good part ( if you can call it good ) it feels more solid but considering it still hurts from the surgery it is being optimistic. Now the not so good, I was told the more times you get operated on ( in my case the L knee ) the more it will hurt and the longer the recovery time will be. As far as hurting well they got that one correct, recovery no idea yet. If anyone should be skeptical on having a knee surgery it should be me this whole mess started with a torn meniscus back in 03 how the heck did it get to this point??????????. This is not meant as a horror story and I really truly hope no one has to go thru this. If your Dr. is a POS then take your time and do some research and find a better one. The dr. I have now specializes in reconstruction of cancer and tumor patients that have had bone loss. When he saw me he really did not think mine was going to be that bad to fix. My only beef with him he does not believe in pain meds in fact when he had his first TKR when he left the hospital he refused to take any pain meds. I could not even begin to imagine how that would feel?? I was released on the 21st the Dr. had his other knee replaced the 22nd. Currently he has me on dilaudid 4mg and along with that I take 2 xtra strength Tylenol no its not perfect for pain but it helps. Tomorrow is my first follow up appointment so hopefully all is well.
    • Posted

Sorry, it took me a few days to respond How did your appointment go? Is he (surgeon) pleased with results at this point? More importantly, are you? Except for surgery pain I mean.

My knee got destroyed in 1982, playing softball. A girl landed on it. However, I tagged her out before I thru my glove off. They wanted to replace it then.i was young, thin, a beach lifeguard and vain!! No way was I going to have that kind of scar!! The fact that I put any replacements off for an additional 33 years, and I was able to start out with a partial, makes me happy.

The fact that I am still able to ride my horses, etc makes me happy. The amount of pain I am as a result when I get off a horse or when I'm walking the dog around 7 acres of hilly pastures looking for something, infuriates me.

But my personality is the madder I get, the more I do. In therapy, in life. RICE does not work for me and my personality. When I get told I can resume my normal life 4 weeks post op by the surgeon, I believe tbey set us up for failire. I have learned to double the time they give you.

I got back in the saddle at 9 weeks and said no way in Hades will that surgeon ever touch my other knee. Well, never say never...but he sure as he'll won't operate on it.

I wish you a total, uncomplicated and complete recovery this time. You have much more tolerance and persistence than I think I could muster up at this point and most importantly, much more courage!!!

• Posted

I really thought the Dr. was not going to be sympathetic and would pretty much tell me to suck it up pain wise, thankfully that was not the case. He does not believe in narcotics and he said the longer I stay on pain meds the longer I will be in pain and he told me to look up Opiod Induced Hyper?? it means your body gets addicted to the meds and in order to get more meds your body will make you hurt to feed the addiction. Well besides that pain wise yes its better not even remotely close to gone but it is better. No signs of infection he took out 120cc's of fluid had that checked everything is fine. The biggest issue with me I have had 18 surgeries 6 of those were replacements based on that my recovery time is going to be double of what someone that has just had one replacement. I ended getting another script and next Wednesday I start PT. It may seem I am patient on here but trust me patience is something that has escaped me I was sending the Dr. messages almost daily because of the pain but like I said it is better instead of 6 Hydromorphone 4mg a day now its between 2 and 3. Still using a cane without my walking is pretty bad.

• Posted

I still can't get my head wrapped around how many surgeries and what you have endured. I say anything to my Dr and I get told I have tendonitis. Well, either I hot it as a result of his surgery or I had it all along and he missed it.

Any way around it, I can't imagine going through what you have endured. It doesn't help matters that I don't trust the surgeon, but unless I go out of network, which I have done, and pay it all out of pocket, I am stuck with him.

I only have another 600.00 to go and my medical bills are paid off. Not a huge amount by any means, and much better than it was, but on disability income, may as well be 6,000.00 still.

Such is life...

I am glad you persisted though and it sounds like you are slowly getting better. Best wishes in therapy and may your ordeal be over!

• Posted

Slow does not even began to describe getting better slow motion maybe?? Sleeping stinks I have to use a cane around the house its fair constantly limp w/o the cane. Disability stinks as well I already filed for financial assistance where I had the surgery and now outpatient Therapy starts tomorrow. Its just one bill after another, maybe I would feel better about the bills if my knee felt great but it fells like garbage. Pain is better but instead of solid 7's now I am at high 6's low 7's hopefully one day??

• Posted

How many have you had? And how long was your last one? I pray that you find comfort in this recovery and that the pain process eases up daily for you!! I am having a partial taking out and a full put in and I can't imagine but I know there is a GOD. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! Good luck

• Posted

If you click on my initials nwf477 and look at about me you will get an idea. Instead of 17 now I am at 18 this one being the 6th revision. What is bad for me unlike those that have never been thru a replacement before I know what to expect how its going to hurt the first month is the worst after 3 months you starting feeling semi normal and this does not mean your pain free Chico has a picture that sums the recovery perfectly. The way I look at it is like a roller coaster ride lots of hills and valleys. No matter how hard you push complain etc etc your knee is going to heal at it's own pace and no one else's. In my case due to the amount of revisions / surgeries I have had there is a real possibility it might take over a year before it fully recovered time will tell. Even though I have been there done that ( hate that saying ) I am human I have days were I hurt and I am so miserable I am in tears this surgery will test your patience nerves everything but thru it all patience and exercises along with ice and elevation will get you thru it.

• Posted

OMG! I feel so terrible for you who have had more then 1 surgery!  I would never do this again, thank god my other knee is good. I am at 7 weeks post tkr, my scar is almost invisible, but the swelling behind knee is unbearable even with pain meds, (cannot take narcotics get violently ill).  Ice and rehab and massage, and time, lots and lots of time.  When I went to 6 week check he walked in and said “ I know you hate me, but another month and it will be better, I promise.”  He better not have lied to me.  I am so sorry for those of you who are having problems or multiple surgeries, I pray you will find some comfort.
    • Posted

after having been thru and going thru this yet again until you get to the 3 month mark it is going to hurt however it is not going to as bad as it is now even after 3 months sorry your still going to have pain. By the time your at the 5-6 month mark you can start seeing the light of the long tunnel. After about one year is where for the most part is where you will be from then on. If you have only had 1 replacement you will pretty much be 100% but there is no guarantee either. I will say your chances of a great recovery are far better then mine. As far as the Dr. attempting to be honest well lets just say in a perfect world maybe in reality going by my past revisions there are times even after 3 months it hurts pretty bad. No one heals the same there is no document that says you will feel better on this date. You have to take control do your exercises. I have not been doing mine the reason right or wrong I am in pain everyday its at bare min. a high 6 the majority its a solid 7 I will only give my pain an 8 or 9 after surgery and the pain meds from surgery wear off. I hate being in pain if I am already at a 7 and I do my exercises it is only going to make it worse pain wise now if my pain was less in the 6 area not an issue right now at a couple days past 2 weeks PO this pain stinks.
  • Posted

Brutally hot here in the sunshine state (FL) too. I hate it! Makes me feel worse than I do. It's like walking into a blast furnace whenever I go outside.

So true about the pain. I have had 3 surgeries on.my knee thus far (another one coming up on Friday) and the pain only gets worse. I can't imagine how you feel nwf with all you have had. But I can definitely emphasize.

Hope the weather cools somewhat and you start to feel a little bit better. My thoughts are with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.