Another PAE Success Story!

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had a Prostatic Artery Embolization (PAE) procedure done by Dr. Shivank Bhatia at the University of Miami on July 21, 2016. I am amazed at how simple and painless the procedure was and how quickly I have seen results. Less than 7 days after the procedure, I am able to sleep through the night and have a strong stream , peeing is no longer on my mind 24/7. I highly recommend Dr. Bhatia, he is a true professional with awesome bedside manners, his office and hospital staffs were fantastic and caring. The procedure was done in the morning, and I walked out early afternoon. I have had more discomfort during root canal than I did with PAE.

I live in Dallas but couldn’t find anyone who performed the procedure in TX, so I choose to go to Miami as I have seen other good feedback on Dr. Bhatia on this forum and he has done more than 120 PAE procedures.

I am 57 years old and have had BPH problems for years. I used to wake up 2-3 times per night and as result hardly got a good night sleep even using Ambien or other sleeping aids. I took natural/herbal supplements to help but they only work so much. My urologist put me on Rapaflo, which helped with urination but as we all know the side effects of dry ejaculation was something I was not willing to deal with long term.

I looked at other options like Urolift or TURP but the thought of having a catheter going through my penis as well as complications/side effects scared the hell out of me.  Thank god for forums like this, as I did not know about PAE and as we all know, no urologist will mention PAE as an option, since PAE is done by Interventional radiologists.

If you are suffering from BPH, you should check PAE, it will change your life, it has mine!

2 likes, 105 replies

105 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

VERY IMPORTANT - Please anwser ASAP...Per Cystoscopy and Bladder Scan by my urologist today, he states I'll need a TURP or TUNA....He states I have a very large TRI-LOBE Prostrate/Urethra Obstruction and, at the same time, a very large Retention of 450ml in my Bladder....Does this Prevent Me from having a PAE?....Please Advise ASAP.....THANKS!....

• Posted

Randy - if you are in the US I suggest you contact Dr. Isaacson or Dr. Bagla right away and ask them about your emergency. Dr. Isaacson is in N. Carolina at UNC and will answer you right away and help you. Good luck to you. Neil
    • Posted

Randy, I would call Dr Bhatia's office and ask. 305-243-1815 or 305-243-4917

• Posted

No, I don't think so, but check it out with one of the Interventional Radiologists who does the procedure. You can leave a message for Dr. Isaacson at UNC, and probably others can be suggested, and he will call you back. Don't let them rush you into anything just so they can make their boat payment.

Neal

• Posted

New Prostate/Bladder Problem - I've been on a direct catheter for 6 weeks and haven't been able to pass urine on my own....Now, in the past few days, I feel like I need to pee almost all the time..It makes me very uncomfortable...My Doc states the Prostate is going through spasms that causing that....Has anyone else experienced this?...Please Respond...

• Posted

It could also be bladder spasms caused by the catheter. There are good medications to stop that, and your urologist should be giving them to you. You may need to get a new urologist if yours can't / won't sort this.

Neal

• Posted

I will, Thankk You...
    • Posted

Randy, it seems that you are in a hurry. I have Dr. Bhatia's cell phone and direct email, he makes himself available after hours, but I don't want to put the info on the forum. If you like, send me a PM and I will give you his cell # and email.

• Posted

You provided Dr. Bhalia's telephone numbers before. I'll try them tomorrow....I'm not in a hurry since I'm retired, as long as, I'm not endangering my health further by staying on a foley direct catheter for a long time, ie. 5+ weeks so far..

• Posted

Folks it has been over 4 weeks since my PAE. Stream is getting stronger and feels like when I was in my 20-30s. Most nights I am able to slep through the night and if I wake up, it is not beacuse I have the urge to go.

I could not be happier! Now only if I could do something about my thinning hair :-)

• Posted

Great News!....Congratulations!...Now you can lead a normal life again....
  • Posted

2-Month Update

Folks, it has been 2 months since my PAE procedure, although the improvements are not as noticable as they were in the first 2 weeks, I think I am still seeing small improvements in terms of stronger stream and frequency. My PSA went from 5.2 prior to surgery to 3.1 one week after the surgery.

I am back to normal, it has been a huge blessing!

• Posted

Great News!..I hope your recovery progress continues...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.