Another PAE Success Story!

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had a Prostatic Artery Embolization (PAE) procedure done by Dr. Shivank Bhatia at the University of Miami on July 21, 2016. I am amazed at how simple and painless the procedure was and how quickly I have seen results. Less than 7 days after the procedure, I am able to sleep through the night and have a strong stream , peeing is no longer on my mind 24/7. I highly recommend Dr. Bhatia, he is a true professional with awesome bedside manners, his office and hospital staffs were fantastic and caring. The procedure was done in the morning, and I walked out early afternoon. I have had more discomfort during root canal than I did with PAE.

I live in Dallas but couldn’t find anyone who performed the procedure in TX, so I choose to go to Miami as I have seen other good feedback on Dr. Bhatia on this forum and he has done more than 120 PAE procedures.

I am 57 years old and have had BPH problems for years. I used to wake up 2-3 times per night and as result hardly got a good night sleep even using Ambien or other sleeping aids. I took natural/herbal supplements to help but they only work so much. My urologist put me on Rapaflo, which helped with urination but as we all know the side effects of dry ejaculation was something I was not willing to deal with long term.

I looked at other options like Urolift or TURP but the thought of having a catheter going through my penis as well as complications/side effects scared the hell out of me.  Thank god for forums like this, as I did not know about PAE and as we all know, no urologist will mention PAE as an option, since PAE is done by Interventional radiologists.

If you are suffering from BPH, you should check PAE, it will change your life, it has mine!

2 likes, 105 replies

105 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mfar, 

you wrote your PSA prior to PAE was 5.2, and 3.1 after, have you been concerned or checked for cancer due to your PSA level prior to PAE?,  or you assumed your PSA was high due to prostate size being 60 cc if I remember correctly.

Have you measured how much your prostate shrunk due to PAE, this would explain your reduced PSA number, now at 3.1. Going forward how are you going to monitor your PSA level for possible cancer, in case when your prostate shrunk and is producing lower level of PSA, what doctor is recommending as a safe level for PSA after PAE? 

thanks,

Andrew

• Posted

I had my PAE done 6 days ago.  Still recovering from the procedure & inflammation.  Still have sudden urges, with urination difficult & painful to start with some buring still left.  The burning is getting better.  I hope that week 2 will have the inflammation down & by week 3 to start to se some improvements.

• Posted

Steve, I'm a little ahead of you, I'm on day 15.  

The inflamation and burning went away in a few days.  But I didn't see any improvement in frequency until day 12.  I was getting depressed.

Then for the last 3 days I've only had to pee every 3 hours, day and night. I don't know what will happen next but for the last 3 days I've been getting 3 hour blocks of sleep and I'm able to do things without planning frequent restroom stops. (I used to walk my dog from gas station to gast station!!).

• Posted

54 days after my PAE, I wake up once, seldon twice a night. Compared to 5 to 6 times prior to the PAE, I am happy.

I feel the bladder empty, although this must be confirmed by the next Ultrasound, as before the PAE I had 300 ml residuum and never noticed it!

• Posted

I had mine done at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.  I was patient #4 for this procedure there, but the doctor has done many other embolizations so I expect good results.
  • Posted

Mfar, I am in Dallas also, please tell me how you are doing. If you could private message me, I would give you my number as I would love to talk to you. I am in the Plano area of town.
    • Posted

I am in Allen, please PM me your phone # and I will call you
  • Posted

11 days after PAE now.  The buring while urinating is gone.  Still have sudden urges and it can still be difficult to start.  I may be peeing a little better once started.  But, yesterday a lilttle blood appeared in some urine.  Semen is almost all blood.  I'm not worried about that, just believe time will heal all.

• Posted

I had an unpleasant and unprofessional experience with Dr. Bhatia.

After reading Mfar's post I emailed Dr. Bhatia.  He responded promptly and we began a discusion of my condition.  

After a few exchanges I was impressed gaining confidence in Dr. Bhatia when he stopped replying.

I wrote to him again thinking perhaps my last email was lost.  Still no response.

Then, on Aug 3, 2016, I contacted his assistant,  Gonzalez, Alina Areas.  She assured me that if I sent her my last email she would forward it to Dr. Bhatia.  

I sent it to her and never heard from them again.

I've just reread my emails, which are all stored on my Google server.  There was nothing on them except mention of my symptoms.

I then contacted Dr. Sandeep Bagla, had a very postiive exchange leading to my PAE on Sept 27.

I'm not writing this for any reason other that to let forum members know about my strange and unprofessional experience with Dr. Bhatia.

I'll be happy to share the email exchange with anyone who is interested.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.