ant depressants

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have all the symptoms but the worse are the flushes every 20 to 30 mins.

I've tried 5 different types of hrt all causing headaches so I was given venlaflaxine by that doctor I took 1 and had every side effect you can imagine felling sick yawning shakes them all

The doctor suggested I break the tablets in half or quarter as i seem very susceptible to tablets and take a bit before bed so I don't notice the side effects but I'm now frightened to take any cause I've read so many bad stories about these but I need something the flushes are becoming unbearable

HELP !!!!

Rose

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rose

I take 20mg flouextine and I'm on my 3rd week, yes anti depressants do have side effects and yes I did think why am I taking them but I was so low I had too stick with them. I am glad I did as I am in control, I get sweating incidences but no hot flushes. I still haven't got an appetite but I eat little and often, nausea lasted 7 days, jitters lasted 3 - 4 days, stick with them and you will benefit.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I may take them but halve them and build then up slowly

I found the side effects to severe to put up with them and the flushes at the same time

Rose

• Posted

I understand but the flushes will go once you get tablets in your system but it's a good idea to take them a bit at a time. Flushes are controlled by falling hormones they encourage serotonin to flood system, ant depressants control serotonin so effectively stopping them, I only get hot sweats every now and again for few seconds at the most

• Posted

Woo, I'm so glad you are benefiting from fluoxetine. When I talk to ladies on here going through peri/meno, I often suggest trying this particular ad, as i have read many posts on here in the past where ladies have found this one help to "soften peri/meno symptoms when other ad's don't. An old workmate of mine in her 50's takes it for meno & it really helps her symptoms. So pleased it's working for you. I take a different ad that I've been on for 4yrs plus since before my peri symptoms started, but haven't needed to change to fluoxetine as the low dose hrt regimen i am on is working well for me & has eliminated 2yrs of irreg bleeding too, but I would have no hesitation in switching to it in the future if needed if symptoms worsened again , particularly mental ones.Take care, all the very best to you Woo. xxx

• Posted

I tried venalaflaxine and slept for 2days, my head was spinning, it was the worse side effect, so my doctor took me off and she gave me Gabpentin instead which was great. When you get a side effect that happens immediately get something else. Not everyone reacts the same, but when a side effect hits you hard you gotta try something else. I would get a hold of the doctor let him/her know of the side effect. There are so many other drugs out there surely there is one that won't give you a side effect. Good luck xx.

• Posted

I had no idea gabpentin helped with peri. I was on Gabpentin for a cpl yrs for chronic neck pain. I was taking this before peri. I don't even know when this hit because I didn't have medical ins for a yr until I went back to the VA which was when I learned I was in it. It's so weird how some women don't experience the mental part and some of us do

• Posted

It hit me hard, mental wasn't as bad as the anxiety and hot flushes. Gabapentin does work for peri symptoms, and it did give me my life back the only drawback is that you're not quick to think on your feet if you need to. I felt dumb down but it works.

• Posted

I'm not quick to think now anyway. I have severe brain fog and actually thought it was from the gabpentin when I was on it. I haven't taken it for cpl years now

• Posted

It didn't give me brain fog, just not quick to think. But maybe you reacted different to it. You never know with medication nowadays, especially with those of us suffering from peri-menopause symptoms. It's hit or miss. Gabapentin actually stopped all the hot flushes and anxiety, for brain fog I took Gingko biloba.

• Posted

Venaflaxine is terrible for side effects and hard to get off when it's time.

Have you tried bio identical rogesterone?

How old are you? Are you peri or menopausal?

• Posted

Rosemary

I'm not sure at what stage I'm at peri or menopausal my hot flushes started last July I've tried 5 types of hrt pills but all caused a bleed sometimes for 3 weeks and caused severe headaches so not even sure when my last proper period was

I've decided I'm definitely not taking the venaflaxine

I've been taking a herbal tab and flaxseed oil for 3 weeks but no change to symptons I'm so fed up with it all now

• Posted

With herbals it can take up to a month for them to finally get into your system.  Which herbal are you taking? Flax seed oil worked on me but if that doesn't work why not try Sage? I hear that works great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.