ant depressants

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have all the symptoms but the worse are the flushes every 20 to 30 mins.

I've tried 5 different types of hrt all causing headaches so I was given venlaflaxine by that doctor I took 1 and had every side effect you can imagine felling sick yawning shakes them all

The doctor suggested I break the tablets in half or quarter as i seem very susceptible to tablets and take a bit before bed so I don't notice the side effects but I'm now frightened to take any cause I've read so many bad stories about these but I need something the flushes are becoming unbearable

HELP !!!!

Rose

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you have no luck with them I wonder if you've tried oestrogel as your HRT.

It's possible to increase gradually with it as you are trying with the tablets you are taking.

You could with oestrogel use one pump and dispose of say two thirds of it so starting out with a very small dose until you get used to it.

I get a headache with 4 pumps but fine with 3.

• Posted

Thanks for that I'll ask the doctor when I next see him this may be a good option for me

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rose. I am on oestrogel - 1pump nightly the lowest dose. it works well for me with no side effects. I don't think you would benefit from any less than this dose, as some people have 2,3, or even 4 pumps! But my doc recommended i start on 1pump & see how i go (along with "opposing" progesterone capsules days 15-26 of a 28day cycle). I am doing fine since april on 1 pump, & it's alleviated my worst symptoms so no need to have more than this. XXX

• Posted

Hi Rose

I'm on ADs and it's the best thing I could have done. I spent 6 months suffering the worst peri has to offer, it was affecting my whole life and work.

After not sleeping at all for 4 days, I got desperate and the doc said it was time to go on ADs, I had resisted it until then.

I wish I had taken the docs advice earlier.

Going on them was a week from Hell. I wanted to stop but the doc encouraged me to keep going. The first 3 days were hideous, I just lay in bed and sweated, slept, dizzy, burning skin, jittery, could eat. I got very close to giving up.

On the 4 day I began to feel a bit better, made myself get up and go to the shops. Each day after that I felt a bit better and after a week, I went back to work.

After 2 weeks I felt great, back to my old self, life, body and work under control.

Sometimes we need help.

• Posted

Hi fiona,

I've been on ad's since 2001 when I was 33. They worked for many yrs until I feel perimenopause made its appearance. However, I wasn't diagnosed with this until Apr 2015. It was late 2013 when I became very depressed and began to change my medication and began counseling. So far, no relief. I'm thinking of hormones at this stage because I'm tired of living like this. Glad the ADs are working for you

• Posted

I have been taking maca. Its a powdered supplement I ordered from Amazon. I got the red maca which is suppose to be better for menopausal symptoms. I ordered from "The Maca Team". I take a teaspoon per day. I noticed it helped with the hot flashes after about 4 days. I think the taste is awful! I mix it with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon or two of honey to mask the taste. I hope this will help you! I know it is miserable! I am getting ready to try turmeric, black pepper & black cumim in a mixture that is suppose to be great for inflammation & alot of other things.

• Posted

It's important to be cautious about natural medicine, they can have bad side effects and are not monitored by your doctor.

Like most natural remedies, their main power is the placebo effect. Nothing wrong with that, it works, but be careful about what you are taking and check with your doctor.

• Posted

Macca was recommended to me by my doctor which worked to stave off my hot flushes, after the black cohosh apparently did nothing for me.  I also took flax seed oil which later helped with hot flushes after i was out of macca. Not all natural medicine is harmful unless of course you're allergic to it. St. John's wort works wonders to calm anxiety, no placebo effect there, you can fake anxiety attacks or pretend they don't exist. But as with all herbs just listen to your body, if you react to it stop taking it immediately.

• Posted

I'm reading all these posts and although it's not funny. What we go through, I'm thinking how men prob have a forum about football and how lucky they are not have to go through all thid BS women do!!

• Posted

Don't be so quick to think they don't go through something either. My s.o was suffering from hot flashes for a while there, and some emotional bouts of I don't know what, but he was sensitive and could cry easily. I believe he was going through hormonal issues as well. I've heard other men have it too, just a little differently. Except for them it's not as long as it is for women but they still suffer a little from it.

• Posted

Yup, he had it bad for a bit there too. He was having male issues too, like sensitivity in that area, and sometimes just off balance. But he didn't know what it was, he thought it was coming from his ear, such that he would move a little slower and go to bed early. So yes, they definitely suffer from hormonal imbalance as well.

• Posted

My hot flushes has been regular for the past 2 years now and Meno came early for me at the age of 40. HRT not a good recommendation for me because of the risk of Cancer which i have a family history of. The doctor put me on anti depressant and the Headaches was very bad after 3 weeks of using it. 

I have therefore decided to take natural measures. 

I drink water a lot, wear light clothing, drink more herbal tea than my normal English Tea, take icy Smoothies to cool me down and the best one that has worked for some older women i know is eating boiled Yam. I'm now a fan of Yam and i found that to be helpful as the Hot flushes arn't as bad as it use to.

Boiled Yam can be eaten with different sauces or fried Egg. 

i keep myself busy and positive. Comedies are good to keep me out of moods. I talk about how i'm feeling and go out when i feel i need to. i 've also started jugging at least 4 times weekly in the mornings and take time to get some Vitamin D from the sun.

All this means i'm not trying to take control of my life and body and not the other way round.

I'm now very careful of conventional medcines in tackling this meno symptoms or problems. Its a natural process and i believe now that we need to deal with it naturally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.