Anterior/posterior repair - really fed up !!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there

I am 5 weeks post op for anterior/posterior repair and had both ovaries/tubes removed by laparoscopy.

I think it would be fair to say I had focused more on the laparoscopy and had just agreed to have the prolapse repair done whilst I was there so to speak. This lead to me not being prepared at all for the last 5 weeks ! Laparoscopy !? What laparoscopy !? All I have been aware of has been the aftermath of the repair surgery which I now understand to be counted as 'major' surgery !!!

So how is everyone else after 5 weeks !? I did see my consultant last week who says everything is absolutely how it should be but I am still sooooo sore !! If my husband takes me out for a coffee I have to choose the place based on their chairs !! Can't sit normally for too long but equally can't stand for too long and find my walking capacit is about 20-30 minutes before it gets too uncomfortable or I get a dragging feeling. Also still getting very tired ! And bowels - still don't feel in control ! On movicol and lactulose just to keep everything moving but still think I have a bit to go with that side of things ! Just hoping it's because of the soreness and swelling !!

Going to try and drive this week - consultant said to leave it another week when I saw him because of how swollen I still was but can't see me doing any harm with the repair driving more a comfort thing.

I know we all have restrictions on lifting and certain housework chores but how about walking a dog !? He is a 7 month old puppy who does pull on the lead but would that cause me any damage !?

Any advice would be fantastic.

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Bunky. Me and many other ladies know just how you feel and I can assure you at 5 weeks I felt exactly the same and thought I would never get better even though I had nursed hundreds of ladies after the same surgery! All you can do is rest, that is the very best advice anyone can give you. You're right about your bowels, the swelling and soreness doesn't help but as for puppy walking, I think another 3-4 weeks at the earliest before you'll be able to keep up with him/her.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I think I am guilty of thinking i should be up to way more than I need to be.

I am just so surprised by how slow the healing process is but that's when I got the lecture from the consultant - just desperate to get back to normal :-(

• Posted

Bunky you wouldn't be the first lady to think that way. Convalescence is slow with this surgery but as I always say, listen to your body.
  • Posted

Hi Bunky,  Firstly I wouldn't dream of walking the dog yet!  I had a hysterectomy and anterior repair done on 20th November 2014, and can remember waiting for Aldi to open 5 days before Christmas because I wanted one of their turkeys and we had to wait for about 10 minutes in the queue until they opened, and I was aware of slight discomfort standing waiting but only just slight and I did walk around a bit while I waited.  I'm pretty sure I wasn't walking for 20-30 minutes at that point though and was very careful not to lift much at all.  I found travelling by car a little uncomfortable because everything seemed to bounce around inside a bit and do remember there was quite considerable air inside me still - I was a bit worried at being so bloated quite a while after and a GP checked my stomach and told me it was full of air LOL!  But from what I've read, I think it's the posterior repair that causes the most discomfort, which I didn't have.  I hope you're better soon and I'd try to amuse the puppy in a less strenuous way for a few weeks yet.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I know what you mean about travelling in the car - I'm a bit better on that score now but it did feel like things had come unattached and we're just bouncing around !! Lol !

How long do you think it took you Chris to recover fully ?

• Posted

It's difficult to put a time on it but I'd guess about 3 months.  But 'recovery' affects different aspects.  I think I was still a bit bloated after three months, although I felt fine but it took me longer to get fit again.  I actually imagined the whole thing was going to be MUCH worse than it was, because I'd read so much online where people had talked of bad pain etc. either from 'just' a hysterectomy or 'just' a prolapse repair, and having both, I expected it to be bad, but it was much easier than I expected, but I did do exactly as I was told and rested a lot etc. although never felt the need to sleep during the day as I'd  been told I would.
    • Posted

Hi I also thought it would be a lot worse,I had a posterior repair Dec 22nd I'm getting there..I don't sleep very well tossing and turning and having hot flushes 😡 But I do go for a walk every day..got no interest in driving. yet ..
    • Posted

Hi Debra

I think I was ill prepared as far as the repairs were concerned and on hindsight really should have done a bit of research but hey ho !!

I am too not sleeping very well but that is a combination of comfort and needing to go for a wee all the time which the consultant has assured me will settle down !! I am on HRT with having my ovaries removed so thankfully seem to be avoiding the hot flushes !

I am trying to get out for a walk everyday but really struggling for energy so haven't been today - prob not the right thing to do really but was so down this morning really didn't care !!

Just takes time I guess x

• Posted

Hi when did you have surgery and what did you have done x
    • Posted

I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow so it has been a challenging Christmas lol but hubby and 2 teenage lads have been amazing ! I had a laparoscopy to remove both ovaries and tubes due to endometriosis and they removed some endo and adhesions aswell. At same time I had posterior/anterior and whatever the top one is called repair !! When I saw the consultant last week I was in there for about 20 minutes before he asked if I would like to now discuss the oophorectomy !! I swear I keep forgetting I've had one - that's how hard I seem to have been hit by this particular surgery !! Madness !!
  • Posted

How strict where you all on wearing the surgical stockings !? I was told to wear them for 6 weeks !!!
    • Posted

6 Weeks!  That sounds an awfully long time!    I can't remember how long I was told to wear them but mine kept rolling down into a tight band around the calf, despite trying to stretch the tops, or even snipping the tops so in the end I thought they might do more harm than good so ditched them anyway after a few days but I'm guessing you've had the anti clotting injections?
    • Posted

Guidance in most hospitals state 6 weeks for any pelvic floor surgery is advisable 
    • Posted

Had a feeling you would say that !! I guess it's only 7 more days but then I'm burning them lol
    • Posted

Had the injections daily whilst in hospital !! 6 weeks is a very long time - thank goodness it's winter !!
    • Posted

I kept mine and wear them if I go on a long haul flight 
    • Posted

Sorry didn't mean to send that pic of wine lol 😳
    • Posted

When I saw the picture of the wine I was going to say it's good for your circulation. 

Not all consultants recommend the stockings for 6 weeks but more are starting to think it's better to just be cautious because women are at more risk of thrombosis following pelvic surgery which you probably know. 🍷🍹

• Posted

Ok thank you..oh wine I hate the stuff 😊😊
    • Posted

Ah I had injections after I came home, for several days (got husband to do them and while I'd been dreading it, I can honestly say I didn't even feel them!).  Matron, interesting about the 6 weeks!  I DEFINITELY wasn't told to wear them for that long, but because mine kept rolling down and were too tight across the calf, I didn't wear them for as long as I was supposed to because I felt they were restricting the blood flow.  But I did make sure I got up for a little walk about every hour and sat with feet up on the sofa WITHOUT ANKLES CROSSED!:-))))  But yes, I'd suggest to anyone to wear the stockings for as long as they're told to, unless they're cutting off circulation like mine were:-) I was just googling about how long to wear compression stockings for and while I couldn't find much for hysterectomy etc. I found quite a bit of c sections and that seemed to vary hugely.  Something else that got me wondering - I wore my stockings overnight as well but some sites seem to suggest that you don't need them overnight but just during the day???  Are you supposed to wear them overnight too?
    • Posted

Ah, I reckon mine must have been one who didn't suggest them for so long then.  It's like she told me I could bath or shower the day after the op, whereas I know yours told you no baths?
    • Posted

Yes Chris the advice is to wear them in bed. As I said not all consultants give this advice but more and more are and the work I'm currently doing with my local health trust (advice following gynaecology surgery) will include the stockings for 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Chris no mention of stockings to me..and I was told showers no baths untill end of this week 😳
    • Posted

Oh that's certainly interesting about the stockings.  Are they still doing the injections for several days after people go home?  Also Debra, what you were told about showers and no baths.  I was quite surprised to be told I could bath the next day or shower, but since I can't get in a bath because of knee arthritis it didn't actually make any difference to me:-)  It was a case of showers or showers:-)
    • Posted

Injections at home only if previous history of DVT (thinking of including smokers) or strong family history. No baths only showers for 6 weeks. Baths can cause internal stitches to become soggy
    • Posted

Hi Matron I had 2 injections I think,,the hospital didn't say no baths..I had a bath on the morning before I went in I was told to..they asked if I wanted a shower before I go home,.i said I would wait until I got home ,,so I had a shower the following morning,,I then just fancied a nice soak in the bath so I rang the hospital for advice she said just showers untill this week don't want everything getting soaked so I've bin having showers
    • Posted

Sorry I had a bath on the morning I went in 👍
    • Posted

I must admit a nice soak following surgery seems the obvious thing but it does affect the stitches.
    • Posted

Ah, so it's changed a bit over the last year then.  Everyone had injections when I had mine done (I had no previous DVT or anything like that), and was told baths or showers.  I must admit I was a bit surprised about the baths, but then they used to say soak in a bath after having babies when you'd had stitches too.  Do they not advice baths for that now as well?
    • Posted

I just wondered how people get on if they haven't got a shower..😳
    • Posted

A bucket with holes in, in the garden? LOL!  No, seriously, no idea!
    • Posted

We haven't been giving injections for a long time chris. The reason behind the no baths is because of the risk to the internal stitches which you don't have after childbirth. They are all external.
    • Posted

You're advised to to stand in the bath and wash yourself down.
    • Posted

Ah, so I guess then, since I had them and it was 'usual' to have them in the hospital I went to (it mentioned the injections in the leaflet I was given) it varies from hospital to hospital.  Probably like the stockings too.  I've no idea why I was told I could bath the next day then LOL!  The stitches I had wouldn't have been internal, for an anterior repair, would they?
    • Posted

Every hospital/consultant has their own way in every type of surgery not just pelvic floor/gynaecology. It is rare to find 2 hospitals the same. Consultants can be very set in their ways as well.
    • Posted

Sorry Chris just to answer your last question. You would have had some internal stitches at either side of your bladder.
    • Posted

Yes, that makes sense.  Do they all say to keep taking Aspirin now?
    • Posted

So no external ones?  Not with the anterior repair?
    • Posted

I did have stitches coming down for a while and remember them telling me that they could appear for a couple of months.  So they'd have been external, wouldn't they?
    • Posted

The Urogynaecologists I worked with put stitches in the vaginal wall to tighten it if necessary and these would be classed as external so these could be seen when they fall out.
    • Posted

I feel as though I'm being examined for my masters degree again
    • Posted

LOL!  That's what happens when we find someone who knows what they're talking about and we can ask all the questions LOL!
    • Posted

Matron your a true star..😘😘😊 keep up the good work..😳👏
    • Posted

Bless ya..if I'm worried about anything..all I do is ask you 😘😘
    • Posted

Morning I'm just starting to think about when I'm goin to go back to work.i had surgery 3 weeks todsy...I don't think I have the energy at the moment,,I'm 54 my job involves standing for 7 1/2 hours a day ??
    • Posted

It's much much too early even if you were sitting down all day debra. You're looking at about another 7 weeks off work. Don't undo all the good work your consultant did but even so you won't have the energy.
    • Posted

Hi Matron is it normal to be a little sore after a shower 😊
    • Posted

It is debra. Even water can cause a little bit of irritation.
    • Posted

Hi and thank you..I no this is silly question but will it be clean up there..I just wash gently with a little baby soap 😊
    • Posted

The vaginal area is self cleaning because it cleans itself with it's secretions but you can use a gentle unperfumed soap
    • Posted

Hi is it normal to go back to feeling shattered 3 weeks after my opp..I go to bed takes me ages to get to sleep..then I'm shattered all day 🙁
    • Posted

To be honest debra pelvic floor surgery very often causes ladies to feel worse around the 3-4 week time and because of this it makes you feel a bit "down". Tiredness and often more pain is extremely likely and unfortunately can last until around 6 weeks. The tiredness is Mother Natures way of making you rest more so as I always say listen to your body and do not push yourself at this stage. 
    • Posted

I will send you a personal message Debra because fore some reason my posts have been removed.......I don't know why though
    • Posted

Hi Debra

I am 5 weeks post op and I struggle to get off to sleep at the moment - don't know why but I am struggling for energy at the mo but I guess everyone reacts differently and the healing process does use up our resources that's why it's important to listen to our bodies I guess xx

• Posted

Hi Bunky I'm 3 weeks post opp yesterday,it does my head in. becsuse I'm shattered but can't get to sleep.,
    • Posted

Hi Bunky. My response to debra was removed twice so I can't see the point of responding to you and now I see debra's post has been removed. I don't know what's going on but just to say sleeplessness is common after any operation.
    • Posted

Oh no ! I wonder what's going on there. But thank you it is reassuring to know it's all part of the course ! X
    • Posted

I'm hoping the moderator will approve my totally innocent post and then you'll read my full response.
    • Posted

Have you tried the usual remedies debra such as a warm caffeine free drink before bed, not looking at a computer/tablet/your mobile an hour before bed? I know it's difficult but it will get better........honestly 
    • Posted

Hi thank you again..that's true because I feel more emotional now than I have in ages..🙁
    • Posted

I think also, all the resting that your body isn't used to, makes you need less sleep.  But as you gradually do more that might help too.  Hope so:-)
    • Posted

Your body needs time to recover and this emotional feeling is so very common, I felt the same after my surgery. Just to add that when I was a ward sister I told ladies to expect to feel emotional and a little "down" and assured them that it will get better and just try to keep occupied without tiring themselves of course. Knitting, sewing, reading, watching DVD's anything that helps take your mind off this. 
    • Posted

I have heard that this feeling is normal after a general anaesthetic too.  It didn't affect me like that but then I think my situation was different - I'd had a cancer removed so it was huge relief to have that taken out, so it might well have made the difference emotionally, if that makes sense.  I couldn't WAIT to get to theatre.  I was last on the list for the day, and despite really bad knee arthritis I almost ran there when they called me to get changed.
    • Posted

I think some of it is frustration and or disappointment. With a lot of surgery you feel better after a few weeks but that's not the case with prolapse surgery. The pain can get worse when the sutures start to become tighter and pull. Then there's all this sitting around and resting which you have to do more of in the first six weeks. If you have heart surgery you're advised to build up your exercise every day and go for walks where as that's not the case here. Yes go for short walks but it exhausts you and the next day you feel as though you're back to square one.
    • Posted

Ok I understand and once again thank you,.i took your advice and read my book for an hour before I went to bed last night .,it helped .😊
    • Posted

I'm pleased. It's horrible lying awake at night watching the clock!
    • Posted

Hi matron, I had rectocele, cystocele bladder sling, vaginoplasty and labiaplasty on Dec. 14th. I went back to work this week for 3 days and my labia majora are very swollen now. At work I pretty much just sit and get up to use the restroom only. Is that normal to swell up because of sitting, you think?
    • Posted

I wouldn't have thought you would experience this from sitting but it could be a sign that your internal areas are also swollen so sitting with your feet up could help. If it doesn't see your doctor. If there's any itchiness is is usually dermatitis.
    • Posted

Hi sorry to bother you I'm a bit concerned about this cough..scared in case I cause any damage 😳
    • Posted

Why don't you ring your GP and ask for advice or failing that speak to a pharmacist and ask him to recommend something. Codeine is the best thing to subdue the cough. The medicine I told you about is Pulmo Bailly Cough Suppressant. Did you ask for that? It contains a small amount of codeine 
    • Posted

I did sit with my feet up and still got very swollen. I just get very frustrated because just when I think I'm healing, I go to the restroom pat dry and see a little spot of light blood. At what point will the sutures be completely healed? Is it taking long because of the rectocele and other stuff they did inside? Sorry to bother you with my worries, Matron. I actually finally have a Dr apt later today and have a ton of questions for him.
    • Posted

Forgot to mention that from time to time, urinating sometimes stings a little.
    • Posted

Sounds like you have a urine infection. I've just been reading a very interesting article written by Urogynaecologists where they say if any women have symptoms of a UTI they should seek medical help asap. If you can't get an appointment with a GP go to a walk in centre and in the meantime drink water like it's going out if fashion. These Urogynaecologists are becoming increasingly concerned about women treating themselves, thinking they have cured themselves and all the while causing damage to their urinary tract. I've read this sort of thing on this website and it's always made me worry that this isn't the correct advice so seek medical help paula and just to add if I get a UTI my labia swells as well.
    • Posted

Sorry paula I read your 2nd post first and didn't see the first one. I'm pleased you've got an appointment. It's difficult to know when your sutures heal because everyone is different but they should be healed by 10 weeks but you may never know 
    • Posted

I was reading the other day that often a UTI responds to a course of antibiotics but it doesn't clear it completely from the system so it keeps recurring - e coli was mentioned.
    • Posted

Ecoli is the most common. Ladies should make sure the wipe from front to back especially after having her bowels opened. I have seen problems first hand when ladies have tried to treat a UTI themselves 
    • Posted

Hi ok will do..I only got that Benyln stuff it's phelm that I'm spitting out..I keeping spitting it out..🙁
    • Posted

I remember being taught that from a child, about wiping.  It sounded as though it was a common problem when antibiotics just 'buried' the problem without really clearing it though.
    • Posted

Thank you, I've been going crazy thinking something could be horribly wrong with me since every story I read women are back to some type of normal a week or 2 after labiaplasty. But, I guess I also have to take into consideration all the other stuff that has been done as well. Guess, is going to be a long road and even though I'm trying to be a good employee going back to work, I just need to take a few to maybe another 6 weeks off to rest and heal completely. Again, thank you for your words xoxo
    • Posted

You have to think about yourself paula so take things easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.