Anterior/posterior repair - really fed up !!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there

I am 5 weeks post op for anterior/posterior repair and had both ovaries/tubes removed by laparoscopy.

I think it would be fair to say I had focused more on the laparoscopy and had just agreed to have the prolapse repair done whilst I was there so to speak. This lead to me not being prepared at all for the last 5 weeks ! Laparoscopy !? What laparoscopy !? All I have been aware of has been the aftermath of the repair surgery which I now understand to be counted as 'major' surgery !!!

So how is everyone else after 5 weeks !? I did see my consultant last week who says everything is absolutely how it should be but I am still sooooo sore !! If my husband takes me out for a coffee I have to choose the place based on their chairs !! Can't sit normally for too long but equally can't stand for too long and find my walking capacit is about 20-30 minutes before it gets too uncomfortable or I get a dragging feeling. Also still getting very tired ! And bowels - still don't feel in control ! On movicol and lactulose just to keep everything moving but still think I have a bit to go with that side of things ! Just hoping it's because of the soreness and swelling !!

Going to try and drive this week - consultant said to leave it another week when I saw him because of how swollen I still was but can't see me doing any harm with the repair driving more a comfort thing.

I know we all have restrictions on lifting and certain housework chores but how about walking a dog !? He is a 7 month old puppy who does pull on the lead but would that cause me any damage !?

Any advice would be fantastic.

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well, I had a full hysterectomy, vaginal suspension and rectocele repair I dreaded having this surgery for 28 years. I am 62 yrs old. and very active. I live in the US and had it all done robotically. It's sad to hear how hard it has been for many of you. I was very lucky as I had not one issue. No pain but a little tenderness in the 5 incisions in my belly. All sealed with glue, no stitches. I had no constipation, I took one pain pill for cramps on day 2. I am having a hard time not doing too much. I can walk a mile right now and could do more but it's frigid cold outside and a bit icy. I don't want to fall. I have no trouble sitting,walking or sleeping. I felt as though I hadn't even had surgery at week 2.

I suggest you do not walk the dog. Take this time to relax. Everyone of us is different. I'm lucky as I was born with an incredible pain tolerance apparently.

I had foot surgery 2 weeks before female surgery, no pain pills needed then either.

I'm posting my recovery for that one person that may be scared to have this surgery. We are all different.

I'm glad I had it done. Now will I have the courage this summer to start running again? I'm

Not sure I want to risk having my rectocele come back. Doc was worried my bladder may need to be fixed. I have had a little leakage, so it could be next. They wouldn't fix it as they would need to use mesh and I'm on 5mg of Prednizone for POLYMYALGIA. Prednizone causes my tissues to heal slowly. Perhaps that helped me get thru the pain a bit too.

• Posted

Hi Pam

Sounds like you have done fantastic in your recovery. And even though I'm moaning like mad I'm have faith that it will completely worth it and won't have any regrets having had the surgery.

As for walking the dog - it seems I should wait from everyone's advice !! Weather is helping out with that at the moment haha !!

I would love to start running again ! I actually had to stop because of pain either from pro lapse or endo - who knows ! I have read a big article on it recently though and it made it very clear that high impact sport/exercise was a risk to the pro lapse returning - I'm not decided yet whether I want to take that risk :-(

• Posted

I'm really worried running will bring the prolapse back. I got to run for 5 good years. When I hit menopause at 57 my prolapse got much worse. No pain, just that nagging vaginal lump. If I ran it caused me to lose stool the first 1/2 mi in not to mention causing my internal hemmoroids to bleed. I do cycle which is really easy for me and I swim across the lake I live on a few days a week in the summer. In the winter I enjoy snowshoeing.

This winter I doubt I'll do that just to be safe.

I have my 7-8 weeks check up in 2 weeks. Time will tell on me, I do see bladder surgery someday if I ever get off the 5 mg of Prednizone I'm on for POLYMYALGIA

Mesh can't be used if I'm on Prednizone as it makes my tissues weak so they didn't mess with it. So now if I try to run I'll likely pee my pants. It never ends.

• Posted

It is rubbish isn't it !! I will be upset if the decision is that I shouldn't return to running but I guess if the recovery proves the surgery a success and that is the only thing I have to give up on order for it not to return it may actually be worth it.

How lovely to have a lake to swim across ! Not that I'm great with open water swimming ! Always concerned what is swimming with me ! Haha !!

I do believe cycling is supposed to be great and do plan to start that up as soon as I get the go ahead xx

• Posted

Hi sorry to butt into this post but its about the stockings .I was only told to wear them till I was moving around .So I wore them for 3 days and havent worn them sincs. I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow. Any advice do you think I should start again I am on sofa most of day walking round the house every hour or so .
    • Posted

I truly can't remember how long I was told to wear them but talking to my husband we think it was a week or something like that.  Did you have the anti clotting injections Pam?  I was also on baby Aspirin - don't know if that made any difference though.  That was another interesting one - before the op for the biopsy of the uterus I was told to stop the Aspirin, but then when they did the hysterectomy and anterior repair they said the guidelines had changed and people were told not to stop Aspirin any more.....
    • Posted

Hi Chris yes I had the injections but no asprin I hope its ok they made my legs itch something chronic. I have the swollen undercarrige symptom at the moment  feels worse than before .  
    • Posted

pam I recommend you follow the advice you were given. I never over rule any consultants advice as I'm sure most ladies know.
    • Posted

After reading lots on these forums and my own experience ! The swollen undercarriage is far from pleasant but appears completely normal part of the recovery for this type of surgery ! I guess it gets quite a beating when you realise exactly what has been done :-(
    • Posted

You're absolutely right Bunky. A lot of women complain of backache, leg pain and general aches and pains for weeks after surgery and that's because your legs have been strapped in lithotomy poles
    • Posted

I only had the Aspirin because I was already taking it Pam.  But before I had the first op they told me to stop it, whereas when I had the second one they said they'd changed the recommendations and were then telling people to continue to take it.
    • Posted

I don't know what to say to that !! Haha !!
    • Posted

Found it on boots website gonna get some tommorow 😊👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.