Anterior rectocele help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

just had a defecating proctogram today I have anterior rectocele I get obstructed defecation and rectal pain I don’t want repair with any mesh I am 12 weeks post hysterectomy my Urogynecolog has referred me to colorectal and I also have inguinal hernia...any success out there please I am due to go in next Thursday but have to meet up with consultant again on Tuesday help needed 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lovely

I am 14 wks tvh and anterior repair. The op was straight forward with no issues really.

Little pain and a text book surgery thanks to my fab professor😋

With rectocele you will have more discomfort but I would definitely go for it if I had to get mine done. I think I will need too one dsyx

• Posted

Hi welshgirl did you have your repair vaginally. Like you I had previous repairs vaginally think we had them at similar time last time. I had cystocele and rectocele done vaginally when I see colorectal consultant next week I will have to see how he plans on repairing x
    • Posted

Hi Karen

Yes I had my tvh vaginal and anterior repair.No mesh only stitches.

I refuse to have any foreign stuff in my body..never ever!!

I have a brilliant consultant who knows his stuff,infact he is a professor so I have ever faith in his knowledge and his word.

He won't do back wall repairs only if it's absolutely necessary and the older the patient as he doesn't like to do these repairs on younger women .

My back wall seems okay but who knows what happens.. All I say is I'm sick of thinking of my vagina lol.

I'm 14 wks after hyster and it's be all fine.x

• Posted

As you have only recently had a hysterectomy I wouldn’t think they would want to do anything too soon.

I had an anterior repair & hysterectomy in 2013. I had a rectoenterocele repair in November 2017. They also had to do a sacrospinous fixation because having had my cervix removed there was nothing for the vagina to ‘hold on to’  - I hadn’t given this any consideration when I had the hysterectomy! 

You might want to ask your consultant if you will need any vaginal vault fixation? I also saw the colorectal people but the urogynaecologist did all my surgery. I too wanted to avoid mesh so it was all done with stitches.

• Posted

Hi hun

I have just had my tvh and anterior 14 wkscago.

Did you experience any feeling in the front between urethra and vagina. It's like a spongy area just by entrance? I have a check up again Monday but I thinking this normal with this op.any advicexx

• Posted

I believe when they do anterior they don't cut down to entrance as it will affect working of urethra etc.

I'm thinking I may have to have back wall done some time.did you have yours done hun?x

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply they have checked my vault all is ok with that. I’m having my hernia repaired next Thursday and will be seeing him on Tuesday to discuss rectal prolapse hope he will do that on the same day 
    • Posted

Good luck with your op, hope all goes well. Rectal prolapse is not the same thing as rectocele, I think I may have misunderstood what you’re having done. Colorectal would be the right department for that. X 
    • Posted

I don’t remember any odd feelings in that area other than the usual swelling etc. To be honest I can’t really remember what it looked like down there before the prolapses! It all seems a long time ago but there are ridges which I assume is where the stitches were. 

I was told to only have the back wall repaired if you are really having difficulties. If it’s only a small prolapse you won’t notice a difference. I know you trust your surgeon so go by his advice.  It’s a big operation but I don’t regret it. X 

• Posted

Yes I agree. My consultant won't do back wall unless it's absolutely necessary.

He also won't do them in younger women either only in extreme circumstances.

I am going to buy a squatty potty as they are meant to be wonderful.

He said my back wall is fine but always think what if my repair left a weakness. Off I go to do pelvic floor,proff emery swears by them🙏🙏🙏😋

• Posted

Thank you I am not sure how they repair it any information would be appreciated ie pain and recovery 
    • Posted

Thank you any info on how the operation is done and regarding post op pain and success rates 
    • Posted

Anterior repair is done through vagina. They cut the front wall separate the skin and repair the prolapse and stitch up the insion.

I had no pain with my repair,but you must not do any lifting of housework for at least 6 weeks but contour having a rectal repair is say 12 weeks of really being careful. I think a rectal repair is done through and not vagina as it's not a rectocele.. I'm sorry I can't help you with this.

Recovery for anterior is really quite simple...rest rest and more rest🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

For a rectocele (posterior repair) a urogynaecologist will operate via the vagina. I took 9 weeks off from my part-time office job, you would need at least 12 weeks for a physical job. I didn’t have too much pain the SSF was the most uncomfortable but that was only a few days. 

A colorectal surgeon would obviously operate via the rectum or possibly abdominally but not if your prolapse was low. Not an option I fancied at all I’m afraid! 

Everyone is different, ask them lots of questions. X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.