anti depressant for hot flushes

Posted , 11 users are following.

Be interested to know if any one else has been taking anti depressants for hot flushes (venlaflaxine) and have they helped ? I've been prescribed but am reluctant to take them , I've tried 5 different hrt but suffer severe head aches with them all , I'm getting to the end of my tether with these hot flushes

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

venlaflaxine is what my husband was on before he delevopled ALS he was given it for pain management and all I can say is we wished he had never swallowed that first pill! Coming off of it was impossible I strongly strongly strongly suggest you research that. I know all people are different and react different to medications. We later found out it was a bad drug and lots of lawsuits out on it. Talk to your doctoir about it.
    • Posted

Thank you

I've read up on it and decided not to take it

Thanks for your feedback it's greatly appreciated

• Posted

I was given gabapentin, it helped with hot flushes but you won't be walking around being razor sharp, it dumbs you down a bit where you won't be thinking super fast. I decided to come off of it because i needed to stay sharp for work. I was also given given Paxil, but I couldn't take it, it made me nervous so I never took it. Do the research on whatever pill they give you. Carolrd has experience with the one you're asking about, be very careful.

• Posted

Oh, I just looked it up on the net, it's effexor. Horrible drug, it made me sleep for  2 days, my head went into a spin, just horrible. It works on people who have had breast cancer surgery, and only for a short while. It works differently on different people but I would not recommend it, it's a scary drug.

• Posted

Hi I too was prescribed this drug 5 weeks ago for surgical menopause after doing some research on it and most of it being really negative and lots of talk of people struggling to come off it, I've decided that I won't take it.

• Posted

Hi Rose. My doctor was reluctant to give me hrt because of clotting risk. She also gave me an AD to try which is meant to help the mood swings and hot flushes. I haven't taken them yet as I have found since I stopped caffeine and cut back sugars my sweats have gone and my moods are more stable. I am still having palpitations occasionally but can cope at the moment. I am 48 and only about 8 months of symptoms getting more noticeable so I am thinking things are going to get worse before they get better. I will try them if it gets worse though because I found the flushing drenched me all the time. I haven't had any of the jolting awake at night with sweats too. So far so good. If you are having caffeine in coffee or tea try stopping. If I even have one coffee now it really affects me.

• Posted

Ps the one my doc prescribed was effexor. After reading whats been written about it I won't be trying it either!

• Posted

I ended up taking flax seed oil, which really helped with the hot flashes. I, too, was drenched at night until I took the oil.  Like you caffeine was one of the culprits along with sugar or anything with soy in it. Good you don't try effexor it is a horrible drug from my experience.

• Posted

Hi Janine Sorry i accidentally hit reply before finishing. I ended up taking flax seed oil, which really helped with the hot flashes. I, too, was drenched at night until I took the oil.  Like you caffeine was one of the culprits along with sugar or anything with soy in it. Good you don't try effexor it is a horrible drug from my experience. Things will get better with time but I see you're at the beginning. Maybe look in alternative herbal remedies like Macca, Flax seed oil, St. Johns' worts for palps, and Macca. All which worked for me to keep me stable and cool at night. I also took Vitamin D3 to help with my mood. I have been through the ringer but wish I could have started on these herbs sooner not that my doctor had me tried a bunch of harmful drugs that I couldn't handle as I had too many side effects. I hope this helps you a little. Take care.

• Posted

Does oilve oil work just as good for health and hot flashes as Flax seed oil? I love oilve oil but have never tried flax seed oil and how do you take that flax seed oil like straight or mix with something?
    • Posted

Hi Carol, No, Olive oil is not the same composition as flax seed. In fact you can eat the flax seeds, or boil them which I used to do till it became somewhat sticky, add your favorite flavor, refrigerate or add ice and that too would work to stave off hot flashes but it's too much work.  I just bought a bottle of the oil lemon flavor and would take a tablespoon at night before bed.

• Posted

You was able to stomach by taking it straight? Where's the best place to order the best quailty flax seed?

• Posted

Yes, I was able to handle it, it isn't strong. I would buy it at my health food store in the cold section because it needs to be refrigerated. You can even put in on your salads but I never did that just took it straight for better effect.

• Posted

oaky so they blocked it, let me see, spectrum should work.
    • Posted

You can buy it at amazon.
    • Posted

Tip: dont use the whole name or use caps.
    • Posted

Hi Pat...thanks for the info. In past experience drugs and I don't do well. Penicillin gives me anaphylaxis too for goodness sake lol.

I definitely think the diet contributed to my symptoms. My mum had a horrendous time in meno....but she was finished by 50. I have noticed things going on since about 45 but last october it ramped up....hot sweats anxiety and mood swings. Its taken about 3 months off caffeine to really notice. I had a real one about a month ago and boy it really affected me....i had sweats and anxiety until 2am.I am still fairly regular although different each month so i know i am just starting so will definitely try the things you mentioned. Its all trial and error I think....but if I can avoid drugs I will.

Thanks again smile

• Posted

Okay, just look at your mum, and you can pretty much sum up your symptoms being close to what she had. But of course, with so many alternatives now you don't need to suffer like she did. Yes, avoiding drugs is best. Good luck hope you try some of what I mention, especially flax seed oil. Take care.

• Posted

In reading what you said I just brought some flaxseed I'll capsules 1000 mg 2 a day it says . Is that enough do you think ? cause I don't think I'd be able to stomach the liquid

• Posted

I would start with 6 pills 3 morning 3 at night, for one week then 4 after that. I recall there aren't enough milligrams in the pills to get any effect. That's why I chose the liquid to get all the 6mg of flaxseed oil into my system which is the amount you need to have it take any effect. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.