anti depressant for hot flushes

Posted , 11 users are following.

Be interested to know if any one else has been taking anti depressants for hot flushes (venlaflaxine) and have they helped ? I've been prescribed but am reluctant to take them , I've tried 5 different hrt but suffer severe head aches with them all , I'm getting to the end of my tether with these hot flushes

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi rose i went on an anxiety med during menopause. Funny after I started it,hardly ever a hot flash. Xx
    • Posted

Are you off of it now? Benzodiazepine as of recent has a bad rap considered a dangerous drug. 
    • Posted

Nope i have geralized anxiety disorder. Just happened to help menopause symptoms. I take it with the full blessing of my doc.
    • Posted

Hi everyone.

I experianced nasty uncomfortable hot flushes for sometime. 

This past 2 years I have taken RED CLOVER a good food supplement one at night and it works for me.

Plus I eat a organic healthy diet and drink loads of water a day... No coffee or booze which  I am convinced helps a great deal.

• Posted

So if he gave rat poison you would take it with a full blessing? Benzodiazapines have recently come under fire for leading causes of death in antidepressants. Just be forewarned that opiates are dangerous.
    • Posted

I tried red clover, I'm allergic to it so I went for the flax seed oil. That worked for me. How I  miss drinking coffee!

• Posted

It gave me back my life. So i could sit at home and have no life or take a med. By the way my doctor is the head of an addiction center. Many people need medication. I dont need a lecture on something that lets me live a fairly normal life. Xx
    • Posted

And its not an antidepresant. I dont over take my med. Heck for years i was scared of medication so i suffered. Finally i took the med after seeing a counselor after a very tramatic event. It only hurts you if you abuse it.
    • Posted

Its also not an opiate. Opiates are pain meds. Whole different class of drugs.
    • Posted

Hey Pat....i switched to decaf...i don't notice the difference. ..its way better than the old days when decaf was disgusting. There are still minute traces of caffeine but not enough to feel it. So I still feel like I am having a coffee.....and I only have one occasionally.

• Posted

It's not in a pill, it's a liquid so I just take 1-2 tablespoons.

• Posted

Oh ok thanks I brought tablet form 1000 mg each 2 a day because I don't think I'd be able to take liquid without being sick

Thanks for your help x

• Posted

I would suggest you start with 6 a day then reduced it to 4 as you get better. My girlfriend was taking 6 a day to start then reduced it to 4 after her symptoms started to calm.
    • Posted

If it gave you back your life then you really need this medicine. More power to you for taking it and living the life you're suppose to lead. I didn't mean to pry I certainly had no idea the reason for you taking it, and my general concern was that you were taking it without being monitored but I see you are concious person. My apologies if I offended you. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.