anti depressant for hot flushes

Posted , 11 users are following.

Be interested to know if any one else has been taking anti depressants for hot flushes (venlaflaxine) and have they helped ? I've been prescribed but am reluctant to take them , I've tried 5 different hrt but suffer severe head aches with them all , I'm getting to the end of my tether with these hot flushes

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was on this ad many years ago. Whilst I found it quite good for depression,one of the most pronounced side effects was very excessive sweating! so i would not think it would be good for hot flushes. I was suddenly taken off this drug by my doc as it had come to light it can cause heart attacks & strokes, & doc switched me to another ad (cant remember the name of it at the time). I am now on escitalopram & have been for a few years. The best ad I have heard/read helps soften meno symptoms is fluoxetine. In fact a friend in her 50's I used to work with takes it, & says it has really helped her meno symptoms. hope this helps xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.