Anti Depressants for Peri?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I, like you all need a little help & support - I'm a mess with this peri-meno stuff & I have an appointment to see my GP today - I feel like I need anti-depressants - but is this the answer? Will they help? Appreciate any advice or words of wisdom.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bev, you're not the only one who's a bit of a mess smile

Anti-depressants may help and I took them for about 2 years until I decided that they weren't really working for me. Since then I've started taking B6 (100mg) and Evening Primrose tablets and they seem to be working and I'm more comfortable taking them. Have a good chat with your Doc, mine even got me on a counselling list and that also helped - especially as the counseller had had similar issues! Makes you feel better. These threads have been a life line, knowing you aren't the only one who feels like they're loosing their marbles when you used to be so capable.

Have a hug and be kind to yourself! x

• Posted

Thanks SoopyLoopy - I'm just totally at a loss - not sure which way is up anymore, but I am sure I can't stay like this - I think they are putting my name on a padded cell as we speak! Never felt so helpless (or hopeless!) I already take B6 & 12 as I have under active thyroid, but appreciate the advice - just need fixing as quickly as possible - think I have already alienated by hubby of over 20 years - poor sod doesn't recognise me anymore, but neither do I. Glad to hear something working for you, I can only imagine what a relief it must be to get even the slightest answer. Thank you.x
  • Posted

Oh dear, then perhaps it is the right route for you - even just for a little while to help get back to 'you'.

My other half treats me like a lunatic and thinks I'm making it all up and can't understand why I've changed so much. Even the ladies I work with and have known for years don't recognise the menopause me. They're not far behind though.

My doc did say it was common for ladies of a certain age to need the pills as the changes are pretty traumatic.

In the end it's what works for you. I was on citalopram which seems OK and a couple of friends are / were also on it after taking other ones to start with which didn't agree with them. Don't dismiss anything and personally, if I could take HRT I probably would (family history means they won't prescribe it).

Good luck with the Doc.x

• Posted

Oh dear indeed - it really has escalated to all time lows.

Didn't think they did HRT anymore! I should be OK - no family history etc - does that work better? Will take anything - all of it to feel better than this.

Thanks SoopyLoopy - you are right it does help to talk, never been on a forum before., but glad I decided to today. xx

• Posted

Bev66, You definitely are not the only one. I had no idea that all the symptoms I was having including anxiety attacks were because of peri-menopause. I have been taking Evening Primrose for several years. 500 mg per day although I believe my OBGYN told me to take 1000 mg lol. I also starting taking B12 2500mg pr day for energy. I just started that a month ago but it is helping. I think the first step is acknowledging this as a normal change in the body. Once I knew then I was able to work through the anxiety attacks. One think I don't like is I'm always hungry! Good Luck!
    • Posted

Funnily enough I'm craving sugary things & have put weight on, which of course does not help with self esteem!

Have to say though I find nothing 'normal' about this - its like Ive been taken over by aliens & they are being mean! When I read the posts that this will be around for years it fills me with real dread.

Will certainly try evening primrose though, thank you Nancy.

• Posted

Bev66 since I've always had a sweet tooth, I find myself craving carbs and salty things. I lost 25 lbs on weight watchers last year only to have put it back on. I can't seem to get under control with my appetite! I feel disappointed in myself about my weight...ugh I need to do something though!
    • Posted

Hi Nancy, seems like another nasty Peri tax! Know what you mean, I think I need chocolate & really need salty instead - very strange, but sadly all fattening. If you've lost the weight before (& I have to say that is impressive - 25lbs) you can do it again - you just have to wait for a gap in hormones to take back control - I'm sure you will. x
  • Posted

Hi Bev,

I discovered this forum last year when I was in a state, too, and seeing so many fellow peri symptom sufferers has really helped.

I always got PMT about a week before my period - the worst being 1 day of either weepyness or rage. Last September I had been too busy to notice anything until the day my period started, the same day we came home from a busy working weekend. I woke up Monday morning and just burst into tears and that was me for the rest of the day (luckily I work from home). For no reason I could see I just kept on bursting into tears, often sobbing as if my heart would break! This lasted all week, though I somehow kept it hidden from my husband. A friend urged me to see a doc so I went along on Friday and, after a few questions about periods (regular as clockwork still at 49) he prescribed Fluoxetene to be taken before and during a period for about 10 days each time.

I made the mistake of reading everything about them and all the possible but rare side effects! Hadn't realised they were Prozac! I only took them for 3 days then stopped coz I felt better and my period had ended. I also felt a bit woozy on them. As soon as I felt depression coming on, for the next 2 periods, I started taking them again, but only for about 3 or 4 days at a time. They helped with the moods but not the brain fog and confusion / lack of concentration.

I haven't actually taken any of them this year as, with my brother getting married last weekend for one thing, there just seems to have been so much new stuff to occupy my poor addled brain! Maybe, now that's over, I will become aan emotional wreck again next month and will need the antedepressants again!

Everybody is different and will react differently to drugs, but it certainly sounds as if you are in desperate need of something now, if only just for a short while as your hormones have gone haywire. I'm lucky in the fact that I seem to be going through phases of things. Since my periods started coming either a few days early or a few days late recently, and lasting for about 10 days now (though only 2 / 3 days are bad ones with severe pain and flooding), I've noticed my PMT moods have stabilised. My short term memory is still shot to pieces though!

I'm sending you a big sympathetic hug with best wishes you get sorted and on an even keel soon x

• Posted

Thank you Madcow (I feel that name!) I'm 50 & found out about 4 months ago that I was Peri-meno - I had thought I was, but had it confirmed with blood test, thought oh OK then, lets get on with it. I have been getting very heavy periods/flooding/pain etc (not normal for me before Peri) and erratic & lasting for a couple of weeks etc. But over past few weeks I've gone to hell in a hand basket! Feels like I have fallen off the Peri cliff! Prozac sounds good! In fact anything that can/might/will help! Please please tell me it gets easier, as I can't cope feeling like this long term. My husband thinks I'm a bitch (we had big fight 2 weeks ago) and we are not speaking or sleeping in the same bed even, after over 30 years together this is the worst ever - he was horrid & caused the fight, but think my Peri has over reacted big style - so I need to deal with him or divorce too! Need your hug & luck Madcow! x
    • Posted

Hmmmm.....'fraid I'm not the one to tell you it gets easier coz I'm at the beggining too! I had "the" blood test about 18 months ago, when I was seeing my doctor about a totally unrelated pain in the foot! Had all the tests for diabetes, thyroid probs, liver & kidney functions and peri, etc, and all came back as normal.

However, reading through the peri forums the signs have been there for a while. For a couple of years, on and off, I seemed to be getting minor hot flushes. Haven't really had any since early last year but now getting the odd night sweat...waking in the night with very soggy boobs is most disconcerting, especially if I fall asleep til morning then wake up bone dry as if I dreamt it! The brain fog, confusion, memory loss, aching joints, fatigue and sudden grumpy episodes are still there, but it's as if my body is just giving me tasters of the more serious and alarming symptoms of peri now and then...

I fear that one of these days the whole range of symptoms is going to attack me in one go and I won't know what's hit me! I'll be left as a complete gibbering mess, once more unable to remeber my password for this site!

• Posted

Hi Madcow, even though I was 'officially' diagnosed as peri only a few month ago, it had been going on for at least a year that I was aware of - so we are probably not that far off each other. Maybe I should have tried to get control earlier?, you seem to be well on the ball and in control/aware. I had thought I was going to be fine apart from heavy periods/night sweats (yes soggy boobs too!), but as I have said in previos posts I feel like I have fallen off a cliff in the last few weeks, & haven't hit the bottom yet either! Maybe if its more severe its shorter?!!! God I need something to make me believe everythings going to be OK & soon! Just make sure if you see a cliff (or even think you see a cliff) on the horizon you take action Madcow! I sincerely hope you do not feel like me in any way shape or form; ever.
    • Posted

Hi Bev, it's very good of you to say so but if you saw my life and my home you wouldn't think I was in control! I certainly don't feel it! My periods are so regular that I don't think I have properly started peri yet and I'm sure there's a lot worse to come. I only recently found out that my mum was put on antedepressants in her early 50's (I will hit 50 later this year) and was never offered HRT. She started her periods at 11 and I was 13, but I don't know if heredity has anything to do with how peri will affect us. I had a real downer yesterday, very weepy, but I guess that could have been the after effects of such a high over the weekend following on from several disastrous days when it looked like none of us would get to the wedding! I was driving our car the day before we were due to go and its brakes seized, which could have been catastrophic, and I went completely to pieces!

I do find that I am a lot more emotional than I ever used to be, and I also react much more strongly to unjust circumstances. If my husband is grumpy with me after a long and stressful day at work I take it as a personal affront and get snappy with him, ans yes, sometimes I am a complete bitch - generally around PMT time. As a child I was always the peacemaker and my brother and I never fell out . I hate disharmony and if I get bitchy I hate myself for it and try and keep myself in check until the next period...but the monster within is always lurking in the background.

Your description about the aliens taking over is so apt, but try not to be too hard on yourself. You'll see we are all at various different stages and all having similar but different symptoms. Look out for Jayneejay - she always has good advice and a sympathetic ear.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Madcow - really appreciate your insight and take on the joys that are Peri - you may not think you are in control, but you are defo watching the horizon for trouble which is good - really hope your fears of alien invaders is just that; a fear.Just goes to show how much of these 'womens problems' remain hidden, even in this day & age, I consider myself to be a sensible reasonably well educated woman, but didn't have a clue about this little lot being out there! My Mum never told me, maybe she thought it best I didn't know?!! God rest her. Who knows how & why we are affected, knowing what it is & why helps a little, but this forum has been a revelation to me & I'm sure a great suport to you too. Thanks for the advice regarding Jayneejay, appreciate. Take care & watch the horizon! Good luck to you too, and warmest thanks, I really mean that. x
  • Posted

hello There

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. Don't rush for the quickest solution until you have had a good chat with your GP. and read some of the suggestions others here on the forum have written. I found them very helpful and knowing that I wasn't the only one makes a huge difference.                

I hope you have a good GP. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Crosspatch, yes I don't feel quite so desolate now after joining this forum, I just think I have got to the end of my tether with myself & my patience has ran out! I'm usually so self assured & afraid of nothing - I'm the rock that all my friends turn to in times of crisis & I don't even want to see my friends let alone tell them how I feel!! I know this is the Peri talking, but I feel like they won't get it - they are all at least 6-8 years younger than me - so not there yet! But it is great to know there is a place (here) where you can come & be yourself, not be judged & even supported, I've never been on a forum before, but am so glad I felt desperate enough to sign up - it has helped and I am very grateful & humbled that others want to help. I'm a very private person & it is hard for me to open up & admit to problems, and my GP is good thankfully - really hope I get some answers. Many genuine grateful thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.