Anti histamine, I have the proof it works

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last month I was on a course of anti histamine for my constantly playing up miserable blepharitis and the symptoms disappeared after taking just one tablet and eyes stayed more or less completely clear for the whole month, it was heaven, now I have run out and only just got my doc to put them on repeat prescription and the symptoms are back with a vengeance, they are really burning red hot and stinging and weeping, usual carry on, so I only have a few days to go before the repeat antihistamine arrive in the post, thank heavens for that, have you tried this remedy?  Works for me.  Fiona

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fiona

thanks for the info and delighted to hear anti-histamine worked for ye, Id suspect your bleph is connected more to an allergy then ??? unfortunately mine developed as a result of damn chronic dry eye syndrome so I couldnt go near an anti histamine...Do you wear eye makeup or is it too risky???

• Posted

Hi, I never imagined in all the three years I had it that it could be allergy related and that the antihistamines would work, although I do have an occasional cat allergy so should have put two and two together really, re the make up, I have to go on stage to read my poetry once every two months and various other similar capers I get up to so feel I need the make up on those occasions, with taking these tablets I find I am able to as long as its all straight off soon as i get in the door again, so problem solved.  At the moment though I am waiting to get to the chemist to renew my supply and my poor eyes have been red, sore and streaming all day yesterday and this morning, so glad when i pick them up!!  Lol Fiona
    • Posted

Well, thats good to hear Fiona, stick with whatever works for you, I have heard of people with cat allergies.....so maybe avoid being around them if you can.....
  • Posted

happy that it's working for you fiona . You wouldn't want to be where i live at present as I'm surrounded by thousands of acres of the yellow flowering oil-seed rape crop. Dry doesn't describe my eyes at present , more like close to being welded up ! The smell is "dank" as well and a croaky voice is the norm for the next few MONTHS . " Oh to live in England ".......etc , etc

• Posted

Hi David, have you been diagnosed with chronic dry eye or do they just flare up due to environmental issues? have you found anything that works....
    • Posted

Diagnosed initially with the messy anterior blepth , which went of it's own accord ,since developing into posterior blepth which leaves you with the usual MGD dry eyes etc . I had 4 weeks clear of symptoms around end jan early feb but was trying many things all at the same time so couldn't pinpoint what helped . However , i know what made it return .......the use of the red packaged wet wipes . My thoughts here being that if you temporarily wipe out all bacteria , good and bad , then the bigger , nastier bacteria get the chance to "rule the roost " or glands all over again . Wipes for the messy anterior blepth but not posterior me-thinks . Gland expression tweezers and a kinder cleansing routine will be the next thing to try .
    • Posted

Thanks David. Ive had the odd "good" day where I felt things were improving, nothing near 4 Weeks though....and then the likes of today is a living nightmare, Im putn hylo in every hour, evaporating so quickly. Am back with my consultant in a week so will ask him bout the tweezers etc...Am washing eyelids with warm water and baby shampoo but doesent seem to be making an impact....Ive heard many say the "Bleph wipes" are good....
    • Posted

I found that blepthasol wipes , and their liquid to be too harsh for my eyes , but found their gel very good and didn't sting . Drops last foe seconds with myself and really need to go under the eyelids . Viscotears GEL is pretty good and dispearses well unlike lacrilube that you can only use overnight . Even with the lacrilube , once you hit the REM part of your sleep pattern , it too "welds up " . Great for naps though . Will be intereting to hear how you get on with the gland probing , was watching it just now .

• Posted

Hi Fiona, similar for me. I hake Fexofenadine antihistamine all year round for rhinitis and it helps with the blepharitis . I have found lately that using wet ones all the time can inflame my eyelids so also use ordinary facial wipes when I think appropriate. The issue I'm ta king at the moment is light sensitivity: in theatres, concerts, some shops, the tube and late at night trains.The light that seems to affect me most is white light . Think I'll start a discussion on it to see what experiences and remedies other folk have. Good luck with your blepharitis . Regards
    • Posted

Pamela , have you tried viscotears GEL (rather than drops ) ? It's inexpensive and works better than eyedrops during really dry periods . I bet that like me you tend to not blink enough ( concentrating on a subject for too long ) . I put a good blob of gel on each eyeball then pull the top eyelid up and over it to capture it under the eyelid . Very slowly move the eyeball around under the closed lid and it will dissolve /melt so much quicker than the prescribed Lacrilube . The light sensitivety , I'm told , is due to an insufficient thickness of naturaly produced gland lubrication .
    • Posted

Hi Pamela, similarly I found wet ones, which so many people on here recommend after I think it was about two months they actually ceased working so conclude they only worked for a time, the blephagel I find very effective, its so lovely and thick and soothing but I do need the tablets as well as without the anti histamine and even with the blephagel they are in a state all the time, it only minimalises it on its own, good luck x
  • Posted

Hi Fiona, I've been suffering a couple of years, what's the anti histamine called you take? Do you get it off go or buy in chemist? Thanks kelly
    • Posted

Mine are cetirizine hydrocloride, Kelly, they are a very good make I find, the best I've tried, Boots do them for about £3.47 I think for a months supply, one daily, but I generally get them from my GP as my prescriptions are free being an older sickly lady these days lol take care, Fiona
    • Posted

As I understand it if your bleph is allergy based, as many peoples are, these should help, its only if its to do with "dry eye" or so I hear that they wouldn't make any impact, but I would think worth a try, I had no idea there were different types of bleph but I suppose there must be.
    • Posted

My mistake, Kelly, they are just £2.99 for 30 tabs.
    • Posted

Thanks Fiona, I am taking asda own make at the mo, I'll give anything a go, so will try. I'm also taking cod liver oil capsules daily. Kelly

• Posted

Hi, well good luck with the anti histamine, all I can say is they work for me, I can't take cod liver oil tablets, they always burst on me and then I end up being sick I am so adverse to the taste of it.
    • Posted

Thanks, I've even been researching if there is an operation or something I can have as been so down with blepharitis. Oh I bet the taste not nice with them bursting 
    • Posted

Hi Kelly, well there is and there isn't, theres a very new procedure called "mebomian gland probiing" but sadly where its so new a postcode lottery exists as to where its available and obviously the NHS will not fund travel to where it may be, i have heard its effective but also that symptoms can return afterwards in the long run, but may be worth you looking into
    • Posted

I have a very adverse reaction to cod liver oil, and can't bear to as much as smell the stuff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.