Anti histamine, I have the proof it works

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last month I was on a course of anti histamine for my constantly playing up miserable blepharitis and the symptoms disappeared after taking just one tablet and eyes stayed more or less completely clear for the whole month, it was heaven, now I have run out and only just got my doc to put them on repeat prescription and the symptoms are back with a vengeance, they are really burning red hot and stinging and weeping, usual carry on, so I only have a few days to go before the repeat antihistamine arrive in the post, thank heavens for that, have you tried this remedy?  Works for me.  Fiona

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Fiona , I've been on cetirizine for roughly 14 yrs for an immune system over -reaction problem ( urticaria ) and one of the possible side effects is eye dryness over time , so if ones eye dryness blepth isn't aggrivated by allegies then I'd give it a miss . I believe that there are eyedrops that contain the same "recipe " of active ingrediants for people with allegy dry/itchy eye problems .
    • Posted

Hi David, I understand how you feel but personally I feel much more positive about antihistamine as for me, my symptoms were wiped out 98℅ but as for drops, I've tried about six different types, they don't work for me at all, imay as well put tap water in my eyes, a thick cooling gel like blephagel works pretty well but drops are just too thin in consistency to make any impact, the tablets took the symptoms off after just one and I was delighted that for my 60 day course they continued working, since running out I'm back to discomfort and eye agony so I think I'll take the risk
    • Posted

Certainly , whatever works  ! I was just mentioning that long term things MAY not be so good ( ie.yrs away ) .When i went for my first examination ( privately £190. 2 yrs ago , by the same bloke I would have seen on the NHS evidently ) he asked me to try and cut out my anti-histamine and anti depressents as long term usage of these appeared to become a person with blepth . He asked if I'd had many antibiotics during my life and if you remember during the 80s they were shelling them out for everything ( I'd had alot over the years when in late teens /early twenties .) and they felt there was a connection between long term antibiotic use , the development of blepth and the non effectiveness of trying antibiotics for blepth treatment today .I take it you are on the10mg cetirizine , my doc told me that I could double that when necessary ( for the Hives ) . The viscotears liquid GEL is good and can often give as much as 4 hrs relief overnight . No doubt you were prescribed the usual lacrilube to see you through the night . For me this could "weld" my eyes shut if I overslept , and 4 out of 5 tubes were useless as the gel/cream came out of the tube in "knots" and not as a thin line . ( i believe they shut down production for quite a while to sort out the problem so may be ok now ). My GP is very interested in the different feedbacks so I am sure to pass on your experiences with the use of an antihistermine . Fingers crossed you'll stay "cured" . ( not as in a gammon joint ! )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.