Anti Reflux and HH repair surgery next week

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all ,

Its nearly here , my op is on Wednesday 8th June , Im still a bit nervous about it , but reading all the posts on this forum over the past year it has eased my worries a tiny tad ...

My symptoms I would say are livable with but in the long term I am PPI dependant , at the moment Esomeprazole 40mg Ranitadine when required which is most days and Gaviscon .

My symtoms include,

Phlegm 24/7

Sneezing most days

Runny nose

Itchy ears 

Slight chest pain

Nausea if I eat a little too much , most days

Bloated burping and flatulance

Burning sensation in my belly and when stressed burning in my throat

Horrible smell in my nose all the time

Some foods tasteless

I can feel nautiuos one minute then shaking with hunger next

I dont know if this is so but Im putting my lack of wanting to be intamit with my partner down on my symtoms list too whether due to feeling yuck most of the time or due to effects of long term on PPI , I have been taking PPI for about 15 years .

I still get all these symptoms while on the meds so I guess they are not 100% helping my Reflux .

I am 46 years old , Not overweight , Dont smoke , Drink a little .

I have had symtoms since I was a child , when I was a baby I would burp after my bottle feed and bring it all back up , then as i got a bit older I rember sitting up most nights believing I was going to vomit , i never did , into teenage and 20's I discovered Bicarbonated Soda , I used to make up a bottle of it every day and drink it thro the day mostly at night in bed.

Then about 15 years ago I got some chest pain and went to GP , they prescribed PPI , I tried Pantaprazole , Lantaprazole then Omeaprazole which I was on about 10 years , I had and endoscopy about 10 years ago which saw the sphinctor not closing properly and gastritus with tiny ulcers , last year I got fed up taking Omeprazole and went to GP , I asked for Nexium she said they were expensive so at the same time we discussed surgery , I got both Nexium on perscription and referral for surgery , The Nexium does work a little better than the Omeprazole but I still have symtoms .

I had to have endoscopy again which now has found the Hiatus Hernia as well as reflux , I also had 24hr PH test and Manomertry tests , which the hospital ( Royal Berkshire Reading) insist on having before considering surgery . All tests came back conclusive that I am a good candidate for the repair surgery , which happens wednesday next week ...

I will of course keep this forum up to date with proceedings after my op .

Regards to all and thank you everyone who has posted on here and helped me with my decision to have the op .

Margaret.

1 like, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So glad that you are recovering well.

It reassures me so much that all will be well when I eventually get surgery.

It must be wonderful not to have reflux anymore.

I look forward to further updates from you x

• Posted

Hi all,

Today so far has been very good, I haven't had to take many painkillers, although my belly is still tender it's not too painful.

I had a little walk around the block earlier and felt I could have walked a bit further.

At dinner time I had a scrambled egg with a little mash potato, it was actually really yummy and went down well. I'm looking forward to trying some more different soft foods.

Margaret

• Posted

Well done

Glad to hear you are doing OK.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress its very reasuring ,

I was scared how would cope after having the operation and getting back to eating again.

Also how you are coping with the pain and healing side , showering and All that stuff.

Glad that you managed a bit of a walk.

How long did they say before you should be able to go back to work.

Also drive again ( if you Drive that is. )

I know every one is different and still early days but just wounded what they told you.

Also other silly question when do you have to go to be checked all OK.

Keep up with letting us all know how well you are doing as defently helping me not to be so scared about after the operation.

Hope everything is still good with you and you continue to do well

Look forward to you next update.

Zena..

• Posted

Hi Zena,

I haven't been told when I can go back to work but the literature I have from the hospital indicates depending on the job I do, if I did and office job with no lifting etc I could be back in 3 weeks, unfortunately for me I do a physical job with lots of lifting and energy needed so I've given myself 6 weeks to get back starting with light duties.

With the driving which I do it will be OK to start back as soon as I feel I can do am emergency stop with no pain.

I will go back to see my consultant after 6 weeks. They will send me an appointment for that. I will have to go to my GP next week though to get a fitness for work cert to send to the DWP as I'm self employed I'm claiming ESA while I'm off to get national insurance credits and a bit of money to help out which isn't much.

Do feel free to ask any questions I'm glad to help, no questions are silly or small if it's worrying you and someone can answer your worry then it's one less thing on your mind..

Margaret

• Posted

His Mag Glad you are doing OK.

Thanks for the updates as this is helping me emencly.

Answered a lot of questions and worries I had.

The silly question you don't always think to ask at time.

I work for a company but they dot always like to pay more than they have too.

But it's the owners discretion if they are going to pay you or you will only get paid sick pay.

As it's only my wages that have to pay everything

it bit of worry on the money side how you cope.

don't want to have to go back to work before you real should.

Again just know when you should see Dr after.

as at moment it nearly impossible to get appointment with my Dr.

Just if I know the time scales when the should see you can put pressure on them to have to see me.

I work in an office so not as strenuous work as you do .

But need to drive to get to work real as would face a bus journey if not feel normal again.

Glad you scars are OK and nice and small. My surgeon laughed at me when he was tell me what they do

. He said the do 5 small incision and I said 5 my face must told him I was a bit freaked out about there being 5

He said but they are only small ,I said but 5 he laughed he said yes you be OK. I said I thought 1 in 1 out not 5.

He gave information and Web sites to read up on first as he said I wasn't mentality read for operation.

I read up went back as work life steps was making worse and the fact my dad died stomach cancel and I know what he went through helped me make the decision to have operation.

So so nice to have you up dates on most things that I was scared of. But sometimes to proud to admit to anyone how scared I am.

Thank you for all you updates and reasuring comment's as this is helping me get my head around everything.

Answering my fears and questions as you are going along with you treatment and recovery.

Sorry rambling on bit but I have found you update very helpful.

Wishing you well on you recovery.

It also scares me the thought having to take the dressing off and seeing scares as I'm bit sqimish.

Keep up with you good work recovering and keeping us all information.

Thank aging for help getting over my fears about having this operation and coping with the recovery.

Zena

• Posted

I was worried about getting the plasters off but they actually didn't hurt at all, I was braced and ready and I was full of butterflies, when they were all off I had a good look. The biggest one is probably only about 1.5 inch, there was a steri strip too with a tiny cut under so that made 6 cuts, I dunno if it was an afterthought or where they put the gas thro, stitches are all internal so you won't see them or have to worry about having them taken out. I've not worn my bra yet as one of the cuts is right under the middle of my boobs. I will try get it on next week.
  • Posted

Thanks for the up dates you are doing so well..

Definitely a lot of help for me.

Take care

Zena

• Posted

Hi all,

It's almost 2 weeks now since op and as far as I can make out its going well.

My bowels aren't as active as they were were before but I'm putting that down to my diet.

I'm not taking many painkillers now and no anti nausea tabs at all now.

I'm managing to eat well, Readybrek for breakfast, a smoothie after maybe a pot of custard, lunchtime a cup of chicken soup. Maybe some more custard and then for dinner mash potato with a 2 egg scrambled egg and grated cheese on top, later in the evening I will probably have more Readybrek.

I don't feel to full after, I managed to do a few proper burps yesterday after I ate too, I do have a slight feeling of a lump in my throat and bit of phlegm but I'm hoping that is just because I may still have a bit of swelling in my oesophagus after the op.

I've tried laying down properly in bed but I think with gravity my stomach is moving into an odd position so I will sit up a little a bit longer, it's not sore or anything it just feels like it's tugging a bit. I am managing to sleep very well at night.

My partner has gone back to work today so it's my first day home alone, I will try put something in the oven later for my partner when she gets home from work. If the rain clears up I will try walk down to the shop.

The worst part of the recovery bit now is the boredom, trying to occupy myself without overdoing it.

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret it sound like your recovery is going well. I myself and feeling a lot better and starting to think that I may not need surgery. I am able to watch a whole lot more now and I am hardly experiencing any heart burn or gastritis. I figure there is no point having the surgery as I may get even better. Fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Really good to read that you are recovering well. Have you lost a lot of weight?

Good luck with all the day time tele. Im a little addicted to rubbish American daytime shows on Sky!!!

Keep us updated with your progress

• Posted

Hi Hillary,

So far I've only lost a stone in weight, I was expecting to loose a bit more. I'm not overweight and probably don't need to loose weight but a little would be good..

I've got a backlog of DIY SOS recorded to watch I like property programmes all old ones off the Home channel.. Escape to the Country, under the hammer, etc etc.

• Posted

Hi all,

So it was 2 weeks yesterday since op and I can honestly say that I am feeling great ( although a little not very energetic) I have minimum pain now.

Yesterday I branched out and had some poached salmon with my mash and it was lovely, a bit fed up I couldn't manage the whole portion, I did feel a bit full after it but no nausea or pain.

I went to see GP ( who wasn't clued up on fundloplication) she checked my scars and was happy enough with them, I managed to walk to the surgery and back again at a nice slow amble. On return I was tired and got comfy in front of the telly for the afternoon. But nope I had to leap up and deal with a flood coming from underneath the kitchen sink, when I managed to get a neighbour to turn off the water and I had cleared up I flopped on the sofa in floods of tears. Thankfully I didn't do myself any damage, my partner came home from work early to finish clearing up. It didn't take me long to get to sleep last night I was so shattered from my day. Before the op with all that stress I would have probably drank a bottle of gaviscon but not now.

• Posted

Hi all,

Well I'm entering week 3 now and still feeling much better, I still have a little bit of pain which is expected, I'm getting out for a walk every day weather permitting, generally to the shop to get my mash potato and a few bits light enough to carry.

My diet now consists of

Breakfast - bran flakes with hot milk , over the morning a fruit smoothie, horlicks.

Lunchtime - chicken soup, pot of custard. Maybe some scrambled egg.

Dinner - mash potato with either mince beef or poached salmon.

Supper - Readybrek porridge.

Throughout the day random cups of decaf tea also small smooth yoghurt.

It's not really a varied enough diet I know but that's down to myself since a child my diet has been blame and boring..

I'm going to try a bit more exciting food this week being into third week.

I hope you are all keeping well either recovering from your op too or waiting for you day to come.

I've not taken any anti acid or ppi I haven't needed any after taking them for roughly 13 years after many years of taking copious amounts of bicarbonate soda and rennies, and feeling nausea most nights as a child, I'm pleased to say after almost 3 weeks I feel great :-)

• Posted

All good news, Mag. You are doing so well.

Im struggling to say the least and hope that the 6 month waiting list, that I was told is shortened.

We are going on a lovely holiday next week ( meditterranean cruise) and hope that I can enjoy it. There are 4 restaurants on the ship. so I should be able to get lots of fruit and easy to digest food.

On a positive side, even if Im feeling really unwell, I can stay in bed and the lovely ship will take me from country to country.

Am thinking we should have put this trip off a year, but when we booked it before Christmas, I wasnt as bad as I am now.

Please look after yourself and keep us up to date with your recovery.

Hx

• Posted

Hi Hillary,

Go on your cruise and enjoy it, before my op if I knew I would be eating and drinking a bit going out I would bring a couple of sachets of Gaviscon Double Action in my bag have ranitadine and also I found good for the nausea was Stugeron travel pills ( I always had a box handy for when I overindulged a bit not just for traveling) , a couple before bed helped also they help you sleep.

I went on a cruise 2 years ago just round Spain and France and made sure I enjoyed all the food and drink. Travel wrist bands are good too I wore mine for the whole week.

You can't overdose on gaviscon so take plenty with you. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.