Anti Reflux and HH repair surgery next week

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all ,

Its nearly here , my op is on Wednesday 8th June , Im still a bit nervous about it , but reading all the posts on this forum over the past year it has eased my worries a tiny tad ...

My symptoms I would say are livable with but in the long term I am PPI dependant , at the moment Esomeprazole 40mg Ranitadine when required which is most days and Gaviscon .

My symtoms include,

Phlegm 24/7

Sneezing most days

Runny nose

Itchy ears 

Slight chest pain

Nausea if I eat a little too much , most days

Bloated burping and flatulance

Burning sensation in my belly and when stressed burning in my throat

Horrible smell in my nose all the time

Some foods tasteless

I can feel nautiuos one minute then shaking with hunger next

I dont know if this is so but Im putting my lack of wanting to be intamit with my partner down on my symtoms list too whether due to feeling yuck most of the time or due to effects of long term on PPI , I have been taking PPI for about 15 years .

I still get all these symptoms while on the meds so I guess they are not 100% helping my Reflux .

I am 46 years old , Not overweight , Dont smoke , Drink a little .

I have had symtoms since I was a child , when I was a baby I would burp after my bottle feed and bring it all back up , then as i got a bit older I rember sitting up most nights believing I was going to vomit , i never did , into teenage and 20's I discovered Bicarbonated Soda , I used to make up a bottle of it every day and drink it thro the day mostly at night in bed.

Then about 15 years ago I got some chest pain and went to GP , they prescribed PPI , I tried Pantaprazole , Lantaprazole then Omeaprazole which I was on about 10 years , I had and endoscopy about 10 years ago which saw the sphinctor not closing properly and gastritus with tiny ulcers , last year I got fed up taking Omeprazole and went to GP , I asked for Nexium she said they were expensive so at the same time we discussed surgery , I got both Nexium on perscription and referral for surgery , The Nexium does work a little better than the Omeprazole but I still have symtoms .

I had to have endoscopy again which now has found the Hiatus Hernia as well as reflux , I also had 24hr PH test and Manomertry tests , which the hospital ( Royal Berkshire Reading) insist on having before considering surgery . All tests came back conclusive that I am a good candidate for the repair surgery , which happens wednesday next week ...

I will of course keep this forum up to date with proceedings after my op .

Regards to all and thank you everyone who has posted on here and helped me with my decision to have the op .

Margaret.

1 like, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So glad to hear your doing well. and it gets better by the day.  I can't believe its going on 4 months for me the 4th of july.....Your diet is fine that is what i did for a long while....I now have introduced the gassy vegetables slowly just for change.  It is yes that i still experience gas and expel, but that is going to be a way of life as where else will it go? cant burp as my dr says.  Its nothing like it used to be in the beginning.  Dont rush the heavy foods, meat.  Take your time and experiment .tho i will occasionally take extra strength gas x and drink water if any pain starts stand up  and walk and drink the water you will find it will pass....Time and prayer and patience heals all.....keep up the good work....by the way we even have a glass of wine now and then with dinner.....God Bless Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Yes the wind element is a lot more than used to be, I am actually managing to burp a bit after eating which surprised me.

I weigh myself every couple of days and I lost 1 stone in total and this morning it has creeped up a couple of pounds.

The lump feeling in my throat has gone now but my throat is still a bit sore since the op.

Some days I'm more tired than others, today is a sleepy day.

Regards Margaret.

• Posted

Hi all,

So it's fast approaching 4 weeks now since op. I'm still on sloppy food but starting to try different things, I've managed to have pasta for dinner the last couple of days with frozen mix veg, I've put a teaspoon of pasta sauce which is tomato based as it's the only one I like in it with a glug of olive oil and grated full fat cheese and it was very yummylisous, it was about quarter the size portion I would normally have had before op, I felt quite full after.

I'm going to have my first outing today to the shops I've not driven since op so I will give it a go today.

The night before last I got a mad tickle in my throat and was coughing for what felt like an hour, it was very uncomfortable and made my belly ache, it's still a bit sore today after it, sneezing is a bit uncomfortable too but on the whole the pain isn't too bad now, I'm not taking as many painkillers as I was in the beginning.

I am managing to burp a bit after eating, quite a lot of air going south too.

I'm aiming to get back to work in about 3 weeks time starting off with light duties as my job is physical mostly (housekeeping) I had a couple of visits from some of the ladies I clean for yesterday and lucky me they are very understanding and they can't wait to have me back but they will make sure I take it easy.

Margaret.

• Posted

Evening all,

Hmm had a little too much mash potato and mince for dinner this evening and feeling a little bit bloated and slightly nausea.

I've had some cyclizine anti sickness tab and some Deflatine, I hope it passes soon. .

Margaret xx

• Posted

Morning all,

So today is 4 weeks since operation. I'm still having my sloppy food but slowly I'm going to start introducing chewy food. I've just finished 2 small slices of toast washed down slowly with fruit juice. I'm now only having probably 2 lots of painkillers per day, not for bad pain just for comfort.

There were 2 nights I didn't sleep very well as I was feeling nausea, I think it was because I ate something a bit late. So I'm trying to get any food eaten earlier and just a drink before bed. It's like trail and error looking after my new stomach.

I'm going to try getting back to work on the 25the which will be almost 7 weeks post op. We are going for a little holiday to Hastings on this Sunday, I'm aiming to get a lot of walking done to build up my strength again.

I desperately want to cut my lawn but it might be a bit too much. It's not a big lawn.

Margaret.

• Posted

Hi Mags

Glad you seam to be doing well.

Inspiration to others .

Thanks for the up dates as very helpful.

I got a call from Hospital yesterday.

They said due to the waiting list I could be eligible to go private funded by the NHS.

So now give permission for my information to be given to them and should be contacted in the next two weeks.

The two hospital between is the Runnymead Hospital near St Peters Chertsey and Nuffield Hospital in Woking.

Had be of panic when they called me yesterday as wasn't expecting it..

So looks like getting geating closer.

Thanks for the help you have given by you up dates

I think this will help me emencley. Still scared about the operation.

But you information has helped me not to be so scared about after the operation.

So not sure yet when supposed to start the 14 day liver shrink diet as not real been clear about when will be.

Just told be notified which has first available slot. The first guy said probably by end of the month.

Hope you have a nice trip to Hastings .

good luck getting back to work.

Have you tried driving yet or do you not drive.

Thanks again for keeping us all updated.

Good luck getting back to you normal daily life.

• Posted

Hi Zena,

Wow sounds like your op day is very close now. I'm so glad I am able to help you with my experience. My worst fear was feeling nausea when I woke up from op, the anesthesia doc told me that they now put anti sickness meds into anastasia and after I woke up I felt fine and any time I felt a little dodgy I asked for more and was given it , they gave me cyclizine ( which also helps you to doze off and relax) .

I'm at the 4 week point now which the print out I have tells me I can start eating more varied diet the toast yesterday was very liberating. But I still can't eat big amounts as it makes me feel nausea, and the mash dinner I've decided best eaten earlier in the day.

Has your consultant or nurse given you all the information sheets you need? Mine didn't but I found it online and printed it off. It describes the procedure and the side effects after then all the diet needs and ideas for food over the weeks after op..

Best of luck.

Any further questions do feel free to ask and I will do my best to help with answers :-)

Margaret.

• Posted

Hi Zena,

Forgot to say apparently you are allowed to drive once you feel like you are able to do emergency stop. I have driven only about 2 short 5 minute journeys so far. Our trip to Hastings I hope to do some of the driving but unfortunately as my diet is limited so to is my energy.. I get tired quite quickly..

• Posted

H Mags glad you are doing OK .

Can you please let me have the Web sits that you got your information from as up to now I have not received any information about eating after .

Only was told soft foods like custard and jelly and like. As

Also the low fat diet sheet and liver shrinking one .but still not sure when need to start that as not got date yet.

just that they have my permission to pass information on to privert sector so can be up grade to NHS funded private care in order to get lists down .

I was told should here back from them with in next two weeks as to first available slot they have at two private hospital they told me so all up in air still.

Cat you later a's at work at moment. .

Zena

• Posted

How are you??

We had a fantastic holiday but so so dificult at times. We couldnt do any organised excursion as I couldnt be too far from the ship. I managed to sleep most afternoons and then early to bed. I didnt take full use of the amazing food and drink on board. 

The journey home was a nightmare. We disembarked at 9.30 am and our flight home from Venice wasnt until 10 pm so we left our luggage at the airport and took a taxi boat to an island called The Lido. We spent the day there but escaped early to the airport as it was so hot. By mid afternoon I was feeling really crap and learned that our flight had been delayed. Finally boarded at midnight and spent a 2 hour flight battling with the feelings that we all know well. Luckily we had front row seats so could get to the loo fast. If only I could be sick, im sure I would feel better but all I get is retching and gallons of fluid pouring out of my mouth. Got home finally at 2.45 am and crashed. Slept for most of the next day too. I know it sounds like a lot of negatives, but the inbetween bits were fantastic and we will do it again once I have had surgery and allowed a good recovery... so a couple of years.

I really posted to find out how you were getting on, so excuse my rambling!!

Hx

• Posted

Hi Hillary and all,

Sorry I've not posted anything for a while, I'm doing well I think.

I went to Hastings for a holiday last week and done a lot of walking, along some lovely coastline with lots of big hills through wooded areas.

I had a couple of nights I needed to take my cyclizine as I over did food a tad, but overall was all good, I had my first cream tea scones clotted cream and jam..

It was 6 weeks ago last Wednesday since operation, I've still got excess wind down south, I'm taking Deflatine to try ease it a bit and some paracetamol and ibuprofen a couple of times a day, in the beginning I was taking them every 4 hours for the pain, I have a little bit of pain still but it's not too bad and an odd feeling like I have a bandage wrapped around my belly, I'm sure it will pass eventually.

I'm going back to work on Monday just doing half days to begin with I'm looking forward to getting back as I'm so bored now.

I had half a can of Old Speckled Hen ale tonight, it was lovely but I won't drink the rest of it.

I've had no reflux or acid feelings since operation.

I only lost a stone in weight which I lost in the first week, I don't mind if it stays off, as my stomach is 10% smaller according to the surgeon I guess it will be easy to keep it off.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Margaret x

• Posted

Thats all very good news. Good luck with returning to work.

Keep us posted with your progress.

I will post when I get my Op date through

Hx

• Posted

Hi all,

So I've been back to work done 2 half days so far, I can honestly say it was hard, I crashed out on my bed when I got home, also annoyingly from what I think is from all the moving around I spent a lot of last night feeling very nauseous, I didn't get to sleep till about 3am, this morning I'm very tired and still slightly nausea.

I'm not working today luckily as I have my appointment with consultant at hospital later today.

I'm concerned that they will suggest more time off as my job is physical, I've got a bit of pain and discomfort still around my stomach muscle.

In the scheme of things I guess it is still early days and I may just be running before I can walk kind of thing.

The ale I had at the weekend unfortunately I only drank half the can and had a hangover the next day. I will give it more time on that :-(.

Margaret.

• Posted

Hi Margaret. Im so sorry that going back to work has been difficult. What do you do?

Maybe you do need more time off? 

I hope your appointment went well and that your consultant is happy with your progress, 

Ive come off Caffeine since we got back from holiday and gradually feeling less tired. Im waiting now for my operation appointment to come through...... could take a while!!!

Take good care and listen to your body

Hx

• Posted

Hi Hillary,

The waiting for the date is probably worse than the actual procedure, when I was waiting the stress was just making more acid and reflux.

The job I do is self employed housekeeper, I've got about 10 permanent houses I clean, all my ladies I clean for they all know eachother. I see them as my friends not just employers or customers. They are making sure I don't overdo it and take it easy at work.

Margaret

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.