Antiarythmic medication and Another cardioversion

Posted , 10 users are following.

I would like to know more about having a cardioversion that will require being inpatient 2-3 days to start a new medication that help my heart stay in rythym after the cardioversion. I will be changed from meds to keep my heart rate low while in afib to this medication to keep my heart in rythym. Who has had this experience?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Earlier this year I spent three days in the hospital for the purpose of changing to Sotolol to correct my heart rhythm. I had previously been on Metropolol, then then they added Flecconide which was not successful. If you have any specific questions about the experience, I will be happy to address them. 
    • Posted

Thank you, maryjane, for your response. Have you done well since changing medication to sotolol? What, if any, medication side effects?
    • Posted

How have you felt since starting sotolol? Are you in afib or normal rythym? Have you had side effects from the sotolol?
  • Posted

Hello I was due a cardioversion on the 7th of august 2015,on the 6th I had a ha and 4 cardiac arrests I now have a icd fitted,I can feel when my af try,s to kick in but the pacemaker doe,s it,s job .when I was diagnosed in 2014 with af my hospital never put me on the proper meds.I am now tablet ed up if the poxy af,seems to be behaving itself.it,s your health get all the right treatment I still say af is worse than a ha trust me I know get the right treatment it,s surprising how much af knocks it out of you .the very best of luck after your cardioversion ,enjoy a nice long walk as we all know impossible with af.
  • Posted

I did this and have had great success ! The drug I am taking is Tikosyn . Hope you have success ! Best , Didi

Ps if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

• Posted

They were going to put me on tikisyn, but it was VERY expensive so I went on amiordone and it seems to be doing the trick for me.  
    • Posted

It also did the trick for me, but long term usage is very risky and potentially fatal! Be careful
    • Posted

I am going to make sure I'm monitored on a regular basis -- and I pray my second ablation works and I won't have to be on it for a long time. Thanks for your concern. 

• Posted

I Simon when I started with af they put me on 2.5mg of bisopradol,nothing else .I'm on many meds including amiodrone apart from not going in full sun.I will take 10 years of what might be as to last year what really did happen.I made the mistake once of reading side effects of one of my meds needless to say don't read anymore.in my view ignorance is bliss

• Posted

In the case of afib, I totally disagree with u that ignorance is bliss.  I believe the more pro-active and knowledge u r about this disease, the better off u r.  
    • Posted

Absolutely agree ! The only way to beat this AFIB curse is to arm yourself with all the knowledge you can ! You must be your own advocate ! Question everything - do not be afraid to go for other opinions etc . The more you learn about AFIB - the better prepared you will be to deal with it .
    • Posted

I was on Amioderone for six months by long term I mean years.

But it is a very effective antiarrythmia, just a pity about the very nasty potential side effects.

Cardiologists thought Amioderone was the 'magic bulltthey had been hoping for to fix AF.....until a significant number of patients starated dying from it's side effects!

• Posted

Sorry about the typos, that that should read 'magic bullet'

• Posted

Knowledge is power. I hate to think where I'd be right now if I had adopted an 'ignorance is bliss' type of approach to my AF?

• Posted

Think about Tikosyn . It has worked for me and has less potentially fatal side effects.
    • Posted

Was on Amiodarone for six months last year. It helped me get my ejection fraction up from 25% to 65%(along with addressing all my other risk factors.

swa my EP  yesterday for a six month post ablation check-up and am now off Apixaban. Am only on 4mg of perindopril/day. So life is pretty good ATM.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.