Antibiotics Killed ALL the Bacteria in my intestines

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone encountred this ? I was on Ciproflaxin for 10 days for Diverticular attack that I had on Thanksgiving I still had some pain as the 10 days was ending so my GI put me on Metronzidaole for 7 days - 3 days in I was sicker then with the Diverticulitis- My intestines were on fire and I loose stool in large amounts - I went back to the Dr he said the mecicine had wiped all the good and bad bacteria from my intestines and now we had to rebuild it - that was tuesday he told me to take Probiotics and 2 yogurts a day . Poops are now normal and my pain is starting to subside but it goes in spurts - I definitley feel like i am on the mend but hoping to feel better soon - i was owndering if anyone else had any expeince with this ?

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Orange juice is a very bad idea if you already have loose stools. It can cause diarrhea. Avoid it until you have solid matters again. I take youghurt drinks at least two hours when I had diarrhea. If your loose stalls persist of you spot green or mucous in it tell your doctor. Unfortunately the excessive use of antibiotics can cause closer idiom difficiles which surprisingly needs another type of antibiotics to combat it! Infection caused by antibiotics resolved with yes, more antibiotics.
  • Posted

Clostridium difficile thats meant to read. Auto correct text predicted not working
  • Posted

Yes. It doesn't take long to replace the good bacteria however. You can also buy capsules OTC to have on hand in case this ever happens again. I think they're called Acidolphillis or something like that. Unfortunately to treat Diverticulitis , it cannot be helped.
    • Posted

How long do you know ? My diahrea is gone but still have pain I'm taking probiotic and yogurt do I need the acidiliphous ?
    • Posted

I am the very same Brenda, got home from hospital 2weeks ago and been off the antibiotics since then but my diarrhoea has cleared up but the pain is still there and I am assuming the bowel is still inflamed maybe due to a combination of things ie. Trying to eat more solid foods to try and get things working as normal as possible. Its just difficult now with process of elimination as to what foods I can tolerate. But I still take Actimel in the morning and also take one Acidophilus in the afternoon. I do think the probiotics help with friendly bacteria and can only be doing me good. But i know how you feel, its very frustrating.
    • Posted

I have found aloe vera juice helpful. I have not had a flare up for nearly six months but get twinges on the left side often in the morning. Mine are complicated by horrendous adhesions after a hysterectomy which my gastroenterologist says are pulling on my intestines. I find it hard to tell if the pain is coming from that or the divi.
    • Posted

I have read that aloe juice helps I may try it - have you had any colon spasms on the road to recovery ? I have then since this antibiotic nonsense startedĀ 
    • Posted

Thank you Madge. Need to try that. I also had hysterectomy 30yrs ago so thats interesting!
    • Posted

Not quite sure what you mean by colon spasms. I get sharp pain quite often in the morning but this goes away after going to the loo. My flare ups have been resolved by rest, liquid diet for a few days then the low fibre diet for a week though this does tend to give constipation. I up my magnesium intake but since I have been more disciplined about taking the probiotic and aloe vera I have been better. I have a few twinges at the moment but am putting that down to the festive season! I have tried not to overeat as I find this brings on flares.
    • Posted

I am getting "twingy" pains on the sides of my hips my Dr said that was Spastic ColonĀ 
    • Posted

I too have the spasms when I'm having a flare up. never thought to link it to the anti's.
  • Posted

I always take a probiotic while I am on an antibiotic of any kind. It is a must! My doctor recommended Align, which has different ingredients than acidiliphous
  • Posted

The pain can linger for weeks unfortunately. I have that experience. Try eating sloppy food. Lots of soups. Make sure you do not get constipation at all costs. Even now a year after my last bout of diverticulitis I have daily pains. I know high sugar intake spurs it on. Keeps hehe inflammation going in the guts. Unfortunately it's just been Christmas with all chocolate you can eat. I'm no different. I eat all that sugary rubbish and pay the price now with the pain. Hope you feel better soon!
    • Posted

Thanks for that reply! I think constipation could be my next hurdle as I am no longer eating all the fruits I used to eat..ie.grapes,blueberries, tangerines n oranges etc. So i am finding its more difficult trying to eat foods the bowel can tolerate but not make me constipated! Lol! Its a vicious circle at the moment. Although I did eat half a dozen soft centred chocs yesterday! First choc in weeks so cud be that thats pained me this morning. I have been told i have extensive diverticular disease and will prob need surgery at some point but I am absolutely terrified to opt for elective surgery which I know is far better than emergency but I think its just getting my head round it all. Really dont think I can go on much longer the way Im going just now. It just gets you down..it does sound ungrateful I know, but its just wondering....do i carryon with trial and error and hope for the best or do I opt for elective surgery.
    • Posted

Yes it is Brenda, and can easily lead to infection too. But it is like everyone says....trial and error with foods and taking things easy. With me lately its been recognising oops i was fine this morning but now a bit sore so lets backtrack n see what cudda caused it. Lol!! But hey with perseverance i am getting better. And so will you as you realise quite quickly what foods you can eat and what you cant. But this forum is defo a God Send for tips and advice. Xx
    • Posted

Thanks this place is a God Send !!! Yeah I guess clam chowder was a bad idea last night !! I'm also going to start using some teas like Ginger, Chamile and Cats Claw to help - have you tried any herbs ?
    • Posted

Not tried any herbs or spices yet Brenda and feel im defo missing out as I am used to cooking all my own curries and stuff but think spices might be a no go from now on. Need others advice on this too! Lol!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.