Antibiotics Killed ALL the Bacteria in my intestines

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone encountred this ? I was on Ciproflaxin for 10 days for Diverticular attack that I had on Thanksgiving I still had some pain as the 10 days was ending so my GI put me on Metronzidaole for 7 days - 3 days in I was sicker then with the Diverticulitis- My intestines were on fire and I loose stool in large amounts - I went back to the Dr he said the mecicine had wiped all the good and bad bacteria from my intestines and now we had to rebuild it - that was tuesday he told me to take Probiotics and 2 yogurts a day . Poops are now normal and my pain is starting to subside but it goes in spurts - I definitley feel like i am on the mend but hoping to feel better soon - i was owndering if anyone else had any expeince with this ?

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I understand. We all been there. Very depressing and difficult. It will get better though. Try stool softener. I thought I cant possibly be constipated as I go every day. Regular like clock work. Xray of my gut showed different. It can go between diarrhea and constipation. It can be hard to tell what's what. Even for me, I work in Healthcare. So keep going toilet. As long as it's not watery, green, or has mucous, undigested good in it which you need to report to your doctor should you notice that. The bowels, guts are very sensitive. Even after bowel surgery you see this inflammatory response. They swell up making them painful. So keep drinking loads, keep regular. Cut out sugar and allow yourselves lots of rest. Don't go for a 3 mile run! But do hi gig gentle walks. It will turn around. Surgery should be very last option as it carries other risks.
  • Posted

My very first flare up was like this.  I was so confused because the doctor had said eat more fibre and I was thinking are you kidding!  Then he put me on the same two pills and by the time I had completed the treatment I was wishing someone would just tear out my rear end.  I got the same advice about the probiotics and started drinking Keifer milk and eating Activia probiotic yogurt.  within days the loose BM's were practically gone. 
    • Posted

Same here but the burning is still hanging on today it is better just in one side - my back is better and less gas each day 
  • Posted

Yeah, the burning didn't go away for me either.  That took almost another week or more.  Where do you find you have the most pain?  Mine goes across my lower abdomen and around to my back on the right side.  Even now when  I don't have a flare up there is still a dull discomfort in the area.  I've just learned to deal with it as it never truely goes away.
    • Posted

Mine goes across my upper abdomen down my right side and my back on the right as well - Its been a week off all of it today 
  • Posted

Your the first person I've come across on here that's had the rightside instead of the typical left. Unless nobody's just not said.  Does yours feel like an appendix attack?
    • Posted

The Diverticulitis attack was pain in my left - once this antibiotic wipe out began the pain burning etc moved to my right- when I went to my GI last week he examined me and felt the Diver was in good shape clean up wise - that was a cake walk compared to this - do you agree ?
    • Posted

totally agree.  sometimes the pains that great it leaves me breathless.  I actually said to my husband labour wasn't this bad!
  • Posted

So I have been doing some research on Cipro Toxicity and I amazed at what I have found !!! There is also some Black Box warning that comes with it - people have been made very ill by this drug - and I am thinking myself included before my Diverticulous attack I had NONE of the problems that I have now after taking these drugs - I thought I was doing better over the weekend and then this morning the pain is back an I feel lousy - there are amnay symptoms to look for like anxiety, loose stool- stomach pain, muscle pain and they can linger for months - most people dont even make the connection between the symptoms and the drug !! 
    • Posted

You must be VERY careful about what you read as some of the stories from those affected are horrifying and it can make one anxious and depressed. There is a site called floxiehope where there are stories of people who were sometimes very badly affected but who got better.

I believe after reading about fluoroquinolones that I was "floxed" many years ago while living in Brum. I had an undiagnosed hypothyroidism for many years which I think might have been brought on by taking one of this class of antibiotics. It has been known by scientists for years that fluoride is a poison for the thyroid and the fluoride component of fluoroquinolones is part of what makes the drugs more powerful. I have had a clutch of symptoms which appear in cycles with varying severity for more than 20 years includkng back pain, tendonitis ( Achilles tendon when in Brum) in all parts of my body, blurred vision especially on waking, nausea and vague abdominal pains and the worst is costochondritis which gives very bad pain in the ribs and now in my sternum as well. For more than 10 years since moving here to France I took no antibiotics at all and treatment for the thyroid and a vit d deficiency hd helped to ameliorate my symptoms a lot but being "refloxed" in the hospital and with the one pill this year has set me back. The worst of it is that the one pill reaction gave me another episode of tachycardia and they said I had atrial fibrillation caused by taking too much thyroid hormone! So they have reduced this which adds insult to injury. Iam going to try to convince my GP that it was the Cipro that caused the heart irregularity and get my thyroid meds put back up as the only two times I have had this wildly racing heart was after the Cipro. If you have been "floxed" you must find out if you have any vit d deficiency (almost a certainty if you live in UK and don't take a supplement or use a UVB lamp) and rectify this as it does help. Magnesium supplements are also recommended on floxie sites. And NEVER take a fluoroquinolone family antibiotic like Cipro (or any of the others) again as each time the reaction is worse. It even says this on the package insert. The trouble is when they give you this poison in the hospital by IV you get no info.

• Posted

I did find that site while researching and it was reassuring to see I wasnt crazy as I was perfectly normal and had none of these ODD symptoms till I started the medicine . My Dr did say I was never to be on this class again - I am lucky compared to some I have read I too have the vague abdominal pains and strange stomach twinges and intestinal pain I am 2 weeks out and getting better so hopefully one day it will all be gone - thank GOd no more anxiety and panic attacks . I will try some vitamin D I have never been deficient in past tests but it cant hurt - i tried magnesium it brought back my diahrea so I stopped it and it went away - i am trying Dandelion tea to as detox - I wish you the best and thanks so much for sharing - I hope you remain on the mend 
    • Posted

Maybe not deficient by UK test standards but these are abyssmally low - I am pretty sure the lowest in Europe which considering the lack of sunshine is a disgrace. You need a level of at least 75 nmol and a level of 125 nmol gives the level of Africans who still wander around without much clothing like the Masai - many researchers think this is the nearest to what evolution resulted in. Taking vit d uses up magnesium so you can get some constipation and jitteriness but then this can be put right with magnesium without getting loose. There are tyoes of magnesium that are less likely to give diarrhoea but I have not tried them.

Being floxed is a drag and you need to look out for any tendon pain. Ruptures of the Achilles can occur months after stopping Cipro.

• Posted

I have never had so many strange pains running through my body and at different times its like the pains runs around to different places - one day what hurt yestrday feels better and now another thing - i have this strange feeling under my ribs on the left side that started 2 weeks ago at the hieght of the reaction it comes and goes but still feels irratiated and looks swollen a liitle - this is def aggravating because i had NONe of this befre the meds so I guess I can only link it to the Cipro - do Drs think you are crazy saying it ?
    • Posted

I have had these strange pains on an off for more than 20!!!! years. When I first read about the symptoms of Fluoroquinolone Toxicity I thought " My God, this is what all this has been about" . I have had some mental symptoms too, panic attacks, morbid thoughts and anxiety but never anything bad enough to drive me to tranqs or anti depressants. My sister has been on the latter for years and came off once with enormous difficulty but then went back on. She has probably been floxed too as she is always going for antibiotics for her chest.

The rib pain could be costo. I have had a similar sensation under the left rib to what you describe on and off for donkeys years. When I first got the costo and I went to my doc in England she was mystified. I also had a bit of pain in what I thought was my stomach so she latched onto that and sent me to see a gastroenterologist. They found nothing wrong with my stomach but the battery of tests DID find that I was hypothyroid and that I had microscopic blood in my urine (Cipro can bugger up the kidney and I have had pain in the kidneys on and off too and a scan here showed nothing but a harmless cyst). I think most docs would probably think one was mad if one attributed all these symptoms to the Cipro but the long and short of it is that for the most part they know next to nothing about the side effects and interaction of the drugs they prescribe and get most of their info from the drug reps. Ha ha! As there is also nothing they can do about floxing and are likely to make things even worse by prescribing NSAIDs or steroids it's better to not bother talking to them about it UNLESS you think there is some chance they will think twice about prescribing these poisonous antibiotics to others. My doc is quite open minded but there is far less info about this in French online and his English is ok but it might be much harder work for him to read scientific papers in English.

• Posted

I've had the same emotional symptoms I've always had mild anxiety but while I was on it and about a week after it was insane !!! So was the depression which I first thought was from being sick so long but now I think the meds made it worse - I really appreciate you sharing with me it makes me feel better and not so alone
    • Posted

I think it helps to know that there are thousands of "floxies". One can help to spread the word that these drugs can be disastrous for some people and should be resisted if proposed for such trivial ailments as minor ear infections or sinusitis. They have actually been shown to be little better than placebo for these conditions including UTIs. Before the first refloxing in hospital I had not taken any antibiotic for more than 10 years and even for a serious divvi infection there are other drugs such as Augmentin. I think too it helps to read stories of those who have improved though it does seem that often they are younger people. I have improved on the whole even though I am 63 but still get setbacks. Last night I slept very badly. I fall asleep then wake up with the idea that I am dying. I had this phenomen a lot last winter but this is the first time for ages. Today I feel achy though the damp weather probably does not help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.