Antibiotics Killed ALL the Bacteria in my intestines

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone encountred this ? I was on Ciproflaxin for 10 days for Diverticular attack that I had on Thanksgiving I still had some pain as the 10 days was ending so my GI put me on Metronzidaole for 7 days - 3 days in I was sicker then with the Diverticulitis- My intestines were on fire and I loose stool in large amounts - I went back to the Dr he said the mecicine had wiped all the good and bad bacteria from my intestines and now we had to rebuild it - that was tuesday he told me to take Probiotics and 2 yogurts a day . Poops are now normal and my pain is starting to subside but it goes in spurts - I definitley feel like i am on the mend but hoping to feel better soon - i was owndering if anyone else had any expeince with this ?

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was put on Augmentin following surgery for an abscess behind my jaw bone. On th 4th day of taking this, I told the nurse that I was not going to take this anymore, it was burning my mouth. I ended up with blisters in my mouth, young, throat, and south of the boarder if you know what I mean. I could not see inside my intestines but I'm sure the blisters were There also because I had pain and diarea that did not start getting better for 5 weeks. Because of the massive blisters in my throat, I could not swollen and in those 5 weeks, I lost about 35 lbs. dropping below 100lbs. I have had a kidney transplant and I was not even able to swollen my anti-rejection medications. I was taken to the E.R and hospitalized for many days and was given an I.v which helped get some fluids in but then I went back home only to end up in the same condition because I could not eat. I one day I'd be in the bathroom every hour with diahrea and heaving, then the next day I'd be in bed and not moving. My potassium dropped way below the level, so low, they said it may have damaged my heart. I have pictures of my mouth and tounge but no one will want to see them because they are hidious to look at. I have never been that sick in my life and as close to death as I was then. I can honestly say, I would rather die as to go through that again. I was so bad, my husband could not leave me by myself, luckily he could work out of home. there is a lot of May that I don't even remember, my sons birthday being one of them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.