antidepressants

Posted , 10 users are following.

My GP has suggested I try antidepressant tablets to help with the pain I get in my back due to IBS but I'm not sure, has anyone else tried this and is there any side effects

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on anti depressants for what 4years and they have not helped my IBS, my IBS started to get worse when I went on them due to my food intake, long story short I have ocd(germaphobia and cleanliness and tideyness) I didn't eat meat or alot of foods due to being worries I was going to be sick and become ill I got put on happy pills as I call them and they helped me alot to the point where I now eat meat etc but I have gained 2 stone in weight since but have list 1.5stone now, so I personally don't think they helped, colfac mebervine help me

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I have tried mebervine and it didn't help me

• Posted

Sometimes various AD medications are used not only to treat Mood Concerns, they are used if you are suffering various types of Pain.

Follow your GP advice, He will have is reasons.

I take one of the older AD s for my painful nerves and tendons. The medication works for me

BOB

• Posted

Amitriptyline is an anti depressant but is very commonly used to treat pain. I was given it to treat back pain caused by arthritis, and it does help. I find IBS and  arthritis flare ups tend to coincide, and taking a very low dose of Amitriptyline for 2 or 3weeks helps a great deal. I don’t get any side effects from them, but it’s best to take them an hour or so before bedtime because they can make you feel quite sleepy when you first start taking them. 

Definitely worth a try in my opinion. 

Jan

• Posted

Hey Sheila, I am given sertralin 50mg antidepressant for my IBS, And It really works for me...If you understand the gut mind connection then you will know that how does it help, and also serotonin is common chemical in brain as well as in gut...well every drug comes with side effects but sertralin has milder side effects compare to amitryptilin.
    • Posted

Thanks for your help its something i need to decide for when I see the Doc again
  • Posted

All antidepressants cause side effects; that’s why I avoid them.  You are far better off taking nurofen for your IBS.back pain.  I treat my IBS with Buscopan and sometimes Nurofen if the pain gets bad.

• Posted

Nurofen

Can cause tummy problems and are taken short term generally. They generally will give prescribed AD or Painkillers if it is over medium/long term. There will hopefully be less risk.

Amytryptalene is generally give for nerve and tendon pain, the dose can be small to moderate

BOB

• Posted

I find if I take milk to swallow nurofen, it lowers the risk of me getting heartburn from them. 

• Posted

I have tried a few anti-depressants for ibs and I feel horrible on them.  Dry mouth, constantly tired and my stools are even more wattery!  When I go back to the doctor he either says I have not gave it long enough or he puts the dosage up.  

Anyway it makes me wonder, I was on amitriptyline for diarrhoea and my sister was on the same pill for constipation?

I would try the fodmap diet as your pain may be gas related and this can reduce it!

Also may be worth trying CBD oil from Holland and Barrett, helps reduce pain and anxiety, especially with ibs and living with inflammation it may be worth a try

Hope this helps and keep us posted how you get on

• Posted

Keep telling your doctor that the anti depressants do not agree with you and you do not want to take them any more.  If you have been on them for a while, come off them slowly.  I told my doctor I did not want low dose antidepressants for neuralgia because I didn’t want the side effects and he understood and did not prescribe them.
    • Posted

thank you for your reply I am on the fodmap diet which has helped alot so most of the time I can cope but its the back pain I struggle with I haven't heard of CBD oil so I will look into it Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.