Antidepressants making me worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on 5 different types of antidepressant since February currently on mirtazapine 15mg and phenagan 50mg for sleep.i was on venlafaxine for 10 days and didn't sleep for more than couple hours, now I can sleepp but the anxiety and depression is so bad,

Before I went on meds I was functioning. Now I'm in such a state. Any one else had this

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sparkle.I started Mirt about 9-10 weeks ago at 15mg and was upped to 30mg(15 morning,15 night) about 5 weeks ago.I was anxious at first but it got better,but I also take Gabapetin for IBS pain and as a nerve block which they just upped to 600mg(200 morning,200 afternoon,200 night) about a week ago from 400mg and I seem to be anxious again.I also take Tramadol for pain(50mg morning,50mg afternoon).I suppose I'll have to let it even out again.You might have to wait a couple weeks to see how the Mirt works.Taking 5 different anti depressants since Feb. could really be wreaking havoc on your mind and body as it isn't getting enough time to adjust to the meds.Plus you probably are going thru withdrawal when they switch you from one to another.Unfortunately each one of us reacts differently.It can be quite frustrating.Hang in there! God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Hi I have been on mirt for 7weeks now 2 weeks 15 mg 4 weeks at 30 mg this week just been upped to 45 mg .it does take time to adjust like Robert says you probably been messed about with the other meds as well.anxiety seems to be the hardest.however hang in there.It does get better each week I have noticed slight improvement now I have been on the higher dose I certainly feel I am slowly coming back early days for me on this higher dose 4 days in all so everything cross this is it.take care xxx

• Posted

Hi Dawn.How you doing? Glad to here you seem to be doing better.I had a pretty good last couple weeks but now they've upped me to 600mg on my Gabapetin a week ago and here comes the anxiety.I only took 500mg to start with (200mg morning,100mg afternoon,200mg night).Ijust added the other 100mg in the afternoon today.I was doing well until yesterday then the anxiety kicked in.Still on 30mg of Mirt.Guess I'll have to plow thru this last adjustment and hope I stablise.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Hi Robert good to hear from you .As you can see I have had my meds upped to 45 mg with so far positive effect.I seemed to poop out after 2 weeks on 30 mg.Doctor has referred me to mental health team to sort the meds out as he felt he could do no more for me as I was on the highest dose.I don,t see that as a bad thing especially as it is in the forefront this week.and people are listening.Bare with it Robert it will come good take care xxx
    • Posted

Hi Dawn.I totally agree with not having a problem with what meds they give me and the amount to live a somewhat normal life.It's about the quality of life not the quantity.For the last 7 months it's been hell and I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.If it weren't for God,Jesus,The Holy Spirit,family,friends,my counsoler and a couple of docs, I don't know how I would of survived.Alot of people don't understand what IBS and anxiety/depression can do to you.They are like,"shake it off,calm down,relax",etc.They all mean well but they don't realise it's an illness just like heart trouble,kidney trouble,back pain,etc.Keep going and God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Normal life again would be lovely I have been off work since Christmas I know I will need support when I do eventually go back been there for 30 years as yet no one has contacted me .so I certainly know where I stand there but I cannot throw those years away because of my pension ,wish they had not raised the retirement age .plus if it were a physical injury they would support so unfair ,but we are getting more noticed now with this week being mental awareness week so onwards and upwards we go Robert god bless you take care xxx

• Posted

That's about where I'm at.I'm 54 and got 28+ years in.I was going to go "40 and out",which would make me 66.But the way I feel now I'll probably just go to 60 so I can start collecting my 401K.In the good old USofA you can't start drawing from it until you are 59 1/2 or not only do you get the regular tax but 10% penalty on top of it.That comes out to about a 35% tax rate! I'll still have to work part time somewhere until I can also start collecting social security at 65.You can actually start collecting at 62 but it's alot less per month.I'll have to see where I'm at then.Fortunately the people at my job are really great as we are a small company with 15 people at our location.We were bought by a large corporation about a year and a half ago and switched to there system last September which causes us to do ALOT more work to accomplish the same tasks.Lots of stress!! It's no coincidence I crashed in late October.Good luck and God Bless You.Have a good weekend! Bob

• Posted

Hi, ive bn on several anti deps, none did the trick for me. The only one i can toleraate seems to be mirtaz.  I cannot get rid of anxiety, tried all sorts, now dr suggests adding risperidone, im not sure. I was a functioning being till all this started - hoping for advice about how to stop anxiety GAD
    • Posted

Hi Ann.I know what you mean.I guess as I lokk back at it now I've always been a high anxiety person(I'm 54),but over the last several months despression has really kicked in.A lot of changes have come up in my life plus as I look back I can see I was headed for a "crash".I also have had IBS for the last 20 years which of course effects and is affected by anxiety/depression.Since this started back in October of last year they switched my meds from Paxil twice a day(20mg) for 20 years to Mirt starting at 15mg about 5 months ago up to 30mg(15 am,15 pm) about 2 1/2 months ago and Gabapetiin starting at 200mg 4 1/2 months ago working up to 600 mg in 200 mg increments which I got to about 5 weeks ago.It's been a rough go ans all I can say is to keep God and Jesus close to you.Listen to the Holy Spirit in you and get closer to family and friends.I had gotten away "inside" from all of them, although outside I was still being with them,ay my convience,if you see what I'm saying.I can see it will be awhile before I'm better,but I trult trust and believe that God is molding me to be a better being and for His use "til I come home in everlasting peace and joy.Keep on  going!!You are in my prayers! God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Hi Ann I'm on week 9 of mirtazapine, 3HALF weeks on 30mg, I'm sleeping but my anxiety and depression are through the roof, physc doc says give it 2 more weeks but I'm struggling every day is a battle, mood can lift sometimes but bang it's back. Having to take diaxpam for the anxiety. Want to be off all but so scared

It's horrible, how are you? X

• Posted

Feel for you.  It is hard to keep going but if you can manage to give it time the mirtaz will hopefully help.  As we all know all anti deps are different and we are all different so we respond to the effects in all sorts of ways.   All i know is i am not better, good days, bad days, other medical problems which affect me and dont help get a clear picture.  Use the diazepam, thats what its for and soon you will feel better as the weeks go by. Did you see psychatrist or GP for prescrip?  Psychs know more about these meds and are better at deciding what is best.
    • Posted

Hi Ann, psych doctor, been terrible today took diazpam but still can't relax, have a 9 year old to look after. Anxiety and depression so bad, my instinct says stop taking but don't know what do for best.

I've keeped diary and end of may I was feeling alot better, I'm starting to go down hill again, surely shouldn't do that?

All meds I've ever tried didn't seem to agree with me, sorry to hear your not fully better x

• Posted

How are you today Sparkle? I know its so hard to get the right anti dep but its such trial and error, and we have to sit it out meantime.  Its also soul destroying when you feel you are getting worse.   I know, ive been there.  I am trying to take each day as it comes and you should do the same if you can. Hope the mirtaz is at least giving you some sleep now. I have other problems with nausea etc but that is due to bad op for gallbladder.  All just adds up to a difficult time. Thinking about you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.