Antrum Gastritis and Reflux + Stress

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Guy, My name is David , 19 years old university student

I've been suffering gastritis and gerd on an off for about two years now. It all started two years ago when i have constant pain in my stomach and couldn't do anything much, I got diagnosed with chronic gastritis (due to H.Pylori) and at the same time, some kind of mild reflux, I was put on a 1 week antibiotic courses which helped me for about 6-8 months then the pain came again, I got my second endoscopy which shown that i have gastritis, Type 1 antrum intestinal metaplasia & reflux like symptoms ( burphing every 10 - 30 mins, i feel like there is always a very little amount of air that want to come up, i tried to swallow so that it doesn't reflux into my esophagus but overtime it doesn't help much )

The thing that I'm quite surpized is because almost everytime i experience Gerd like symptoms is also accompanied by Gastritis. Now that my stomach is cleared of H.Pylori for the second time, but i keep feeling like there is a pressure ( air that came from my stomach pushing up into the esophagus ) which is really annoying and since I'm takin Nexium and Gaviscon, i tend not to see any heartburn or sour taste.

My Dr told me that now my gastritis is not as bad, it will slowly get back to normal  but on my own side the burping reflux like symptoms doesn't get any better if not slightly worse. Anyone experienced this before, please give me advises so that i can take my normal life back without feeling so bad every day.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to our world!  I, like you, had H pylori for years and did not know it.  Stomach always growling and lots of gas.  Treatment for it worked and no longer suffer. Endoscopy followed, and it showed I had a 2 cm hiatal hernia which grew into a paraesophaguel hernia, and had nissen fundoplication with toupee surgery at Emory Univ. Now, a year and 2 mos. later, all the old symptoms are back full force.  Had barium swallow test 2 weeks ago, and it shows a new small hernia.  I'll be leaving for Mayo Clinic in JAx for blood work, and a GI procedure.  After tests have been read, will meet with Dr. to see what happens next....Hopefully I'll go back for surgery.  Am looking forward to being back in the world again, real soon.  Good luck to you and hope you find a solution to your problem.  
    • Posted

Hi Mary, thank you so much for your information and I hope everything will go well for you in the upcoming appointment with the Dr. These digestive problems is a pain in life but at least we're in this together, please do come back and share your experiences and what the Dr says after your meeting. I'm trying to get an opinion from another doctors, see how he thinks about this and hopefully share some insights of what he might says rolleyes
  • Posted

I think the Nexium could be making you feel like there is air you need to get out.  I hsd that a little bit when I was taking prilosec.  When I quit taking it I felt better
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that you are having these digestive problems.  The current treatment for H.Pylori can kill ALL the bacteria in the digestive tract.  Most doctors will tell you to start eating lots of quality plain yogurt after the treatment, if you want sweetner, add some organic jam.  The burping can be caused by undigested carbs.  Usually due to acid blockers.  

GERD is caused by a weak Esophageal sphincter that allows stomach acid to burn the sensitive lower esophagus.  I used Nexium for almost two years with good releif.  However, acid blockers have their own set of side effects.  Random stomach pain, diarrea, constipation, muscle cramps, restless leg syndrome, etc, etc.  I am now trying to off of Nexium.  I am using Gaviscon whenever I get esaphageal burning.  And I take a dose before bed when most GERD damage occurs.  I am also taking DGL.  It is a licorice base tablet that helps to rebuild the somach and esaphageal lining.  These two products are working very well for me and many other people.  Also, once a day eat a cup of raw original oatmeal.  In a bowl add 1/2 water and 1/2 milk.  Add a natural sweetner.  Then let it sit for 5 minutes.  Eat this every day between meals.  Let me know when you have tried these and if they helped.  I do care.  John

• Posted

Thank You so much John, i do think your advises is good, i will try to cut down carb as well. again , thank you for your reply smile !
  • Posted

Hiya David!

Well, whadya know? I'm also a 20 year old university student and...wait for it...diagnosed with mild gastritis (no metaplasia), GERD and incompetent LES almost 2 months ago. A cousin of mine whose a doctor said that these are all symptoms of a common problem: acid reflux. But the most annoying thing about this condition is the burping! My abdominal pain got better and I'm able to sleep peacefully again. Other symptoms improved too but the burping is still there (albeit much fewer than before). These are some of the things that helped me get better (and control the burping):

1. Eat small frequent meals.

2. Try to chew your food thoroughly rather than swallowing whole. Believe it or not most of the burping is due to swalloed air.

3. avoid or reduce the intake of gassy foods like cabbage, lentils, beans etc.

4. My doctor told me to take Omeprazole (a nexium-like drug), Gaviscon and Ganaton ( Itopride hydrochloride). She told me that Ganaton helps in controlling the burping and GERD. (By the way, I too don't have any sore throat. Maybe that's because of Gaviscon).

Rest assured, the burping won't go away until and unless you fully heal. In my case, I still have two more months to go. However, I would also suggest following this blog as well. Lots of useful tips. I used it to modify my diet and it helped a lot. 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-i-cured-my-gastritis-185914?order=latest+&page=0#topic-replies

Hope you get better soon, bro!

• Posted

Hey Ahmad, I'm glad that you decided to share your story as well, i might search for the medicines you mentioned above and hope it will fully heal soon. I'm glad that i'm not the only one that is constantly burping, I hope you will get well and sure i will follow the blog you mentioned smile !
    • Posted

Glad to be of help to a fellow burper.wink

It's definitely a depressing condition. No more pizza for me....at least for the next few months. Haha

Oh and make sure you talk with your doctor about the medicines prior to taking them. Get well soon!

• Posted

Hi Ahmed

I am going through the same problem. Doctor diagnosed with Mild Gastritis a month ago, my burps are continous i want to know how are you feeling now

• Posted

Hello,

I'm Varun, 19 year old undergraduate student

I have had excessive belching after food since 5 months. When it started, I consulted my physician Iand he advised me to take patoprazole for 2 weeks -but symptoms were not relieved. USG revealed normal findings. Blood tests for H.pylori antibodies were negative. I continued with Esomeprazole for 2 more weeks and I stopped for the next two weeks after which my symptoms worsened and I developed abdominal pain(in my left hypochondrium and epigastrium). I underwent an endoscopy which revealed mild esophageal erosion (Grade A Esophagitis). I consumed rabeprazole for a month and my reflux has decreased but the pain still persists. Now I have no clue what to do and I just consume antacids. Please can you help me and may I know what step can I take? I'm getting really scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.