Anxieties

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm a 53yr old lady who's suffered with anxiety since I was in my mid 20s. I'm agrophobic , have panic attacks and intrusive thoughts . I'm also terrified of taking medication, , because I'm scared of having side effects....

I'm at my wits end, I really do want to get better. I know that taking medications will help towards my recovery.

Which is the lowest and best medication I could take with the least side effects ? All answers will be much appreciated thank you .

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take diazepam, BUT its only as and when needed I have health anxiety, but I do try to get on without it, apparently its quite an addictive drug so Dr's are not always willing to prescribe it, I only have 2mg, but its not long lasting.
    • Posted

Hi greavsie7 do you find it knocks you out the diazepam? I fall asleep straight after taking it which is why I take it before bed xx
  • Posted

I'm against meds too, therapy is a great alternative and works every bit as well as,if not more than therapy
  • Posted

Hi

I have been taking mitrazipine 30mg for past fortnight. It is an anti depressant but seems to work well with anxiety too. I too sometimes get diazepam, if I have a panic attack and go to a&e but not a long term prescription and easily addictive so not a good idea x

• Posted

I take 10mg of lexapro  and 15 mg of busprione.. I have 0.5mg of ativan as needed for anxiety.. 
  • Posted

Hi snowd1amond, I am sorry that you have suffered for such a long time, please try to think that this is the time to change and more importantly to enjoy life # EVERY SINGLE DAY #

I was very similar to you for ten years... age 40 yrs to 50..... my life turned.around totally when I began two medications...LYRICA also know as. PREGABALIN.. which is actually an epilepsy drug, but it is also an. Excellent drug for pain relief and for anxiety...

SERTRALINE... an absolutely excellent drug for severe depression...

These two drugs literally changed my life, if felt that I had no hope...

Please ( if you would like to ) ask your doctor if you could have a trial

Of these two drugs... as most here, I was very wary of meds, but they. Literally saved my.( also my son's ) life... I wish you all the very best and. A whole new future ahead of you, sincere regards to you ..Deirdre. x

• Posted

Hi snowd1amond, I am sorry that you have suffered for such a long time, please try to think that this is the time to change and more importantly to enjoy life # EVERY SINGLE DAY #

I was very similar to you for ten years... age 40 yrs to 50..... my life turned.around totally when I began two medications...LYRICA also know as. PREGABALIN.. which is actually an epilepsy drug, but it is also an. Excellent drug for pain relief and for anxiety...

SERTRALINE... an absolutely excellent drug for severe depression...

These two drugs literally changed my life, if felt that I had no hope...

Please ( if you would like to ) ask your doctor if you could have a trial

Of these two drugs... as most here, I was very wary of meds, but they. Literally saved my.( also my son's ) life... I wish you all the very best and. A whole new future ahead of you, sincere regards to you ..Deirdre. x

• Posted

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I'm seeing my Gp tomorrow evening, and going to see if she can start me on the lowest meds for now, to see how I cope with side effects. I have done a lot of research on Buspar which is a non addictive medication.. some people say their good while others don't.. fingers crossed that I have the courage to actually take the meds instead of just putting them in the cuboard or not even collecting them from the pharmacy :0)
    • Posted

I was like you scared of the meds. The buspar has helped me. I can take  5mg 3 times a day or 7 1/2 twice a day.. The only side effect I've noticed is a Lil blurry vision and sleepy but not bad. 
  • Posted

Hello I am on fluoxetine 20mg once a day an digitally I was on diazepam which is not used long term. The fluoxetine took about two weeks to start to kick in and it has helped although like you I suffer from anxiety big time. I am 21 and I hope I can beat this one day the good days are good and the bed are hell. Love to you xx
  • Posted

I could have written that post myself..I am quite a bit older than you

I take a low dose of  propranolol when I get panic attacks.Sometimes it works,but lately I am getting worse about going out alone.I have really bad health anxiety and think that whatever symptoms I get are due to a terminal illness and I have become totally phobic about my health.I t does not help that I live completely alone.Ireally sympathise with you.Ask your doctor about Propralonol.They help with palpitations.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply wendl, propralonal are they the beta blockers ? If they are I got them prescribed for me before, but I just shoved them I the cuboard and forgot about them.. from 2008 _ 2012 I did have a very good couple of yrs were my anxiety seem to lift enough for me to start going back out. But I think I should of took baby steps and not just ran before I could walk.. one day I was in asda shopping with my daughter aand hubby and started panicking all over again. Now im worse then I was before.. so now I'm determined to beat this horror anxiety once and for all ..
  • Posted

Hi my name is Renee and I also started having panic attacks when I was 22 and I am now 56, I have been on Imiprime for almost Ten years now and out of all the meds I have tryed this has helped the most I also take Zanax only after I have tryed all the self help measures Ive learned and I know Im going into a full panic I put this under my toung and it works with in minits . Its the only time I take it is when this happens I found out that knowing it works in just minits has help me so very much because most meds take about twenty minits to work and by then when your having a panic attack its to long to wait. Stopping it this fast makes a big difference and it gives me more confidence to go out cause I know it works and it works fast some times I will just try a half and if its not enough i will take the other half you can kind of tell how much you need after you take them for some time . also Im not dependent on them because I dont take them everyday. The Imiprime 175 mill a day takes weeks to work and your symptom might get worse at first but my doctor gave me something that works right away like zanax or lorazapam to take untill my body got ajusted to the imiprime and once the imiprime started working I didnt even need the other pills. Its is an antidepressent but it stops panic.. Also Read eveything you can get your hands on panic attacks and anxieties. Oh and I have to tell you this God with out him I would not be here. Hope this helps.... God bless you
  • Posted

Well it's only 5hrs till my doctors appointment and the nerves are already starting to get the better of me.. my hearts pounding and I'm already starting to image myself having a full blown panic attack. I always try to get the last appointment of the evening, hoping nobodys in the waiting room . People ask me what im scared of ? I say it may sounds silly to you but im scared of been scared. Anyone else feel this way ?
    • Posted

Indeed i feel like that often, my throat tightens, i feel like im choking - its awful i know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.