Anxiety.

Posted , 139 users are following.

Hello, my name is Hayley and am 22. I found this forum and I would really like to share my experience and talk to other people who may be experiencing what I am experiencing. I feel like none of my family really understand how hard it is dealing with this.

I first started stressing over a year ago, I was having dental problems and because going the dentist is my biggest phobia I was really really stressing about it. The fact that the problems I had weren't clearing didn't help either and I found myself obsessing and stressing over it everyday. Getting myself worked up by googling the problems I was having and panicking even more when I read what could eveventyally happen. That's when I think my heart palpitations happened.

I've had palpitations since then I think I can't quite remember when they started but they were definitely as a result. I did go the doctors over this and the doctor said because of my age it was going to more as a result of anxiety then heart problems and told me to stop worrying and keep busy basically.

So I did try and do exactly that but it's actually really hard to just not worry and not stress about things. Keeping busy helps I find but if something is worrying or bothering you it's only going to stay in your mind and won't go away.

Anyway I've recently been going the doctors about this again as I found it's gotten worse.

This summer I experienced what I think was my first panic or anxiety attack and at the time I wasn't particularly worrying about anything, it was so random. Since then they have happened occasionally, the palpitations continue and I often feel like I can't breathe, my heart races and I feel sick.

It really scares me cause I feel like there is something wrong with my heart, like my heart is going to give up and stop or that I'll end up having a heart attack. Even though I have had two ECGs I still believe there is something wrong, everytime I get a palpitation I panic which obviously makes it worse.

Today I suddenly went light headed in tesco and that scared me, I feel so weak and sick I just want to go to sleep. If this is anxiety it's slowly starting to affect me daily and I feel completely helpless.

I just want to talk to people who are experiencing what am feeling, who understand it all really.

Anyone having regular palpitations like me? I got given some beta tablets today to slow my heart rate and to help with them. Has anyone been given something like that by their doctor and did they work?

Would really appreciate talking to others in a similar position about this.

19 likes, 173 replies

173 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I know exactly where you're coming from! I've had bad anxiety for only a week now and I to went to the ER the other night and had a EKG and blood work bc my heart was beating really fast and hard as soon as I woke up and my face felt real hot but I didn't have a fever. Those are the symptoms of anxiety and it sucks! My heart is still beating hard and fast and its been a week... It's bc now I'm stressing out even more then I was bc of these symptoms! Ugh... Anyways I know where your coming from and if you have any questions feel free to message me smile

I'm Brandi and I'm 20 ...not that much older then you

• Posted

I'm Lauren, and I'm 15. I have been having the exact same thing. My mum woke me up and I was extremely warm (like you, I didn't have a fever) and my heart wouldn't stop beating fast. I was shaking really rapidly and it took me a couple of hours to stop. I was really light headed and I didn't want to listen to anything that people were saying. I really wanted to go back to sleep but I couldn't stop worrying. :o I just had my house robbed and my best friend was just hospitalised because of her cancer, so I've been stressing out a lot. 
  • Posted

Hi everyone.. Ive never wrote anything on here, but thought i'd ask if any of you feel the same, Im 21, Ive graduated a year ago now, and i work making jewellery in a little shop which i love... I suffer from anxiety, which brings on panic attacks.. this is all triggered by an inflamed liver, which i was diagnosed with when i was about 12 which has then caused me to have ibs... so its a massive spiral of different things that causes me to panic..

I have become addicted to anti acid tablets i think, whenever i have a bout of anxiety.. i take one to try and relax my mind.

I thought that i was tackling the attacks but recently they've come back..

I cant seem to budge them.. some days i spend all day on edge..

Its becoming noticeable in my everyday life. Even effecting my job..

I went to the doctors with them a while back because i was having seizures, brought on from a mix of smoking weed and having anxiety.

Since then i have stopped smoking weed all together, 2 years later and im still suffering from the side effects, most days I feel stoned.

They sent me for a lot of tests which were utterly pointless.. as proved to have no results and in the end the tests stopped..

Im a little worried there is something else wrong with me.

I think that might be why they are getting more frequent..

I'm not sure why im writing all of this, its just nice to read stuff from people who suffer from depression, panic attacks and anxiety, as it makes me feel like im not alone..

Thankyou for reading

Carmela.

xx

• Posted

inflamed liver???? i wonder if weed caused my problems too. killed the good brain cells. i was 24/7 for a year or more
  • Posted

oh and i just wanted you to all know, that you cant die from a panic attack or anxiety, heart attack is when your heart stops and a panic attack is when it beats really fast... Infact your heart beating that fast is healthy for you .... apparently, my doctor and a therapist told me that, thought you should all know that smile
  • Posted

Hi carmela, it always makes me feel better talking about it that's why I'm so glad I found this forum.... Me I have high anxiety bc of my headaches.. I wasn't very smart n googled what causes headaches. Was not smart at all. Ever since (like a week now) I've had extreme anxiety and the symptoms are just horrible. Rapid and heavy heartbeat, headaches, no appetite n upset stomach. It really takes a toll on your body. But hopefully when I get an MRI done on my brain n everything comes back good hopefully that will make the extemeness of this anxiety go away.

Thankyou for sharing you story its always great to hear that I'm not alone as well

• Posted

my partner gets migraines. i know other ppl who get them and its all denial that gettin angry is the cause. your brain deciding that is the way to show stress. after i saw a colleage with a migraine i went home and for a few days my heart stuff changed to a mild headache, then went away rolleyes when i was in hosp i had to wear glasses cuz my eyes hurt - glad that didnt go any further my can understand stres induced blindness now. my legs are ticking right now. i move them to make it stop and the blood flow. im so screwed i hate it
  • Posted

It sounds like you just have anxiety, any sort of stress brings it on.. ive become a bit of an expert on this. Im sure there is nothing wrong with you. i went for the same tests, smile

i had a really bad panic attack at my first ever job interview which was over 2 years ago now..

i remember being led into a hot room, all the windows were shut and there was 8 other people there that had previous experience in the line of work i was trying to get into.. The person running the interview made us watch a video and all i kept thinking was im not qualified for this, im not going to get it.. my breathing got worse my heart starting pumping severly and i got pins and needles up my feet and soon enough through my whole body. the next thing i knew i couldnt straighten my hands out, they were in a claw like position and two girls opposite me noticed that i was tilting to one side, and told the lady who was interviewing. She stopped the tape and rang nhs helpline who thought i was having a stroke as i couldnt speak clearly and was slurring, my vision went hazy, and the next thing i knew theyd called an ambulance and i was carried down the stairs in the arms of two beautiful men, which only made it worse, i was led into an ambulance where they gave me blood tests and stuck things to my chest.. I was later told i suffered a massive panic attack.

Since then whenever one comes on i try and block it out, sometimes i have no luck, but im pleased to say its never got that bad again *touch wood*

so i have positive feelings towards this slowly dissapearing..

Its scary, horrible and traumatic to experience!

Hope everything goes well with the doctors, im sure it will smile

• Posted

wow scary! reminded me of a bad attack i had when leaving somewhere - family holiday. like the brain goes into process mode. all my arms and legs were tingling it was sooo weird.
  • Posted

Hello girls, I too am suffering from anxiety have been since the new year, I too have bad frequent doctor visits full blood tests ECGs heart monitors (again with the heart) I have been diagnosed with health anxiety and panic disorder by the well being center I am on the list for cbt and currently taking medication it's been a long journey all ready trying to find the right one I think I finally have, I had all funny symptoms at first and thought I was going

To die or have heart attack nothing mentally wrong just annoying symptoms I couldn't get rid of I suffered from a panic attack driving to work one morning it really shook me up and all the time I felt ok first thing waking up I wondered why I didn't feel the anxiety symptoms

And boom there they were I am on week 6 on meds now and much better but still occasionally get the symptoms in the evening but I find it best of I'm

Busy with my chores or walking the dog.. Everyone goes through anxiety some time in there life it's just the way we deal

With it and learn to admit and realise it is just anxiety it cannot harm you you've been checked There's nothing wrong its a mind thing

And we learn to cope

And

Deal with it and gradually forgot the symptoms and

Move on its a long road ahead of us but we can do it it's funny it's hit us in our 20's! Crazy! I don't want to be on the meds but I had no way out it got so so bad I was scared of it and it was affecting work and home life my relationship it's a little sod sad if anyone wants to talk to me please do! Chin up people there's a light and the end of the tunnel I didn't believe it either. X

• Posted

you sound positive. nice to know others are in the same boat -makes it more likely to be anxiety right ha sad bloody habits too. ugh. 20's is a good observation altho seen some teens too sad
  • Posted

Hello all. My name is Chris and I am 26 now. Back in may 2012 after eating dinner I started to feel my heart race for the first time and was freaking out thinking there was something wrong with my heart. I told my mom to take me to the ER where I had several tests done especially an EKG. Once the EKG was done the nurse got a little hesitant and went to go get the doctor. They said they spotted something abnormal and gave me something called a GI cocktail and some other pain medications. After that I went home and could barely sleep. Over the past almost 2 years I have had different occasions where I would feel that same pain again. I never know whats causing it because I could be completely fine and then the next minute I would feel like i'm going to die. I have been to several different doctors who all told me I have anxiety which I usually deny, but here recently I have come to the assumption that I do have anxiety and want to fix it. The problems I have are on my left shoulder/chest area and it feels like there is a lot of pressure in those areas. I have times where I lose my breath as well and think my life is going to end. I have tried every possible cure and nothing seems to work for me since I try to get my mind off of it. When I get relaxed I feel as if I'm losing control and in order to regain control I have an anxiety attack. All the doctors I've been to say my heart is perfect and nothing is wrong with it, but I to believe that is whats wrong, so I keep my mind on that 24/7. I try deep breaths, playing video games, etc...I do also chew tobacco and have tried quitting several times thinking that was the cause, but in reality im worse when I don't have it. I feel I needed to write in a forum and to talk with others having the same issue. I too always look up symptoms on Google and get worse when I look at the most major conditions possible. I know I shouldn't freak out and that everything will be fine. I started reading a book and listening to relaxation on pandora while I read. I have only don't this one night so can't tell if it is working yet. I hope to be able to connect with others going through this, so I can keep my mind occupied as I have very few friends since this problem is taking over my life. Look forward to your responses back to me. Thanks In advance.
    • Posted

Hey mate, it's a bit of a confusing ordeal isn't it? It's been a while since you made this post do I don't know whether youre still using this medium or not but I hope that you are well and have been finding a life style that helps you be happy and comfortable. The human mind is a trip isn't it? I'll be the first to admit that I blow things out of proportion and make things worse for myself, a sore neck feels like I'm going to have a stroke it seems lately, or a high heart rate feels like I need a pace maker. It's very hard to say what is induced by our own view of things, what we think it's happening, and what could actually be wrong with us physically. By all means I encourage investigation through the medical system, but one thing I have realized is that at the end of the day noone can solve our problems for us 100%,all the time. We have to take responsibility for what we can do for ourselves. When someone loses their hand in a freak accident there's no magic fix for it, and though it may be more difficult to understand and accept, things happen to our brain as we age that we have no control over, we can only decide how we play the cards we are dealt. I for one am a huge believer in the idea that physical exercise is as important to our mind as it is to our bodies, after all, if you go for a run you get a natural rush of endorphons and it makes you feel great, the proof is in the pudding. I'm sorry if I sound a bit preachy but these are the things that have been going through my mind as I have been trying to deal with my own symptoms. I have found myself getting quite emotional over the idea of not being able to live my life fully, or show the ones I love how much I appreciate them. In other words my concern for my health has given me the oppertunity to reflect and appreciate the life that I can live. In turn, doing this has made me feel better, and has inspired me to strive to live a better life. Although it will never replace medical examination, looking inside yourself and at the life you live can have a dramatic effect on how you feel. No one has a perfect body, and no one's body takes care of itself, so just try your best to improve your circumstances and I promise that you will feel better about things. You need to get in touch with yourself so that when you feel slightly of you know that it will pass and that worrying will only make it worse. You trump the mental element of your ailment once and it will change the way you view it forever, I promise you that. I hope you take care of yourself, best wishes.
  • Posted

Im so glad i found this forum! I thought it's just me.

i started having problem in breathing when I was 10. I've had my check up and the doctor said It was nothing, that I was just scared. true because that time my teacher told us a story about ghosts and weird stuffs. This issue about my breathing stops then.

And now Im 19 years old, and having the same issue again when a stressful thing happened and I started thinking bad and scary. that there's always danger I dont know, I think Im going crazy and I become paranoid. then 2 days ago, my heart starts beating fast , this time is a bit different because Im always burping and yawning and its really hard to breath. I cant even eat properly now, Its like I lost my appetite and my stomach seems to be always full.

and then I googled it. found many things that made my day worsts. It's like I have a problem in my heart and it's scaring me. I want to distract myself and I just want this to stop and but I cant stop thinking.

• Posted

try playing games. there is nothing wrong with you. you are not going to die. you are healthy. you are scared and your body is preparing you to run or fight. i lost my apetite when really bad. my son is too skinny, drinks lots and has too much diahhroea i think and light coloured. was bloated when he started solids. this worries me too. he is having tests at the moment rolleyes
    • Posted

I also sometimes feel when I am lying down really still and my heart is beatly fast nd faintly and its scary like my heart is just not doing its job and is going to stop. scared to be alone, wnt my phone with me. atleast i have a little voice now telling me its silly.
    • Posted

And i still every day am scared of the position i sit because the back of one of my knees feels funny - think im gonna get a clot rolleyes all what we hear...all about heart attacks, my uncle died of a stroke. ugh. panicking sucks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.