Anxiety.

Posted , 139 users are following.

Hello, my name is Hayley and am 22. I found this forum and I would really like to share my experience and talk to other people who may be experiencing what I am experiencing. I feel like none of my family really understand how hard it is dealing with this.

I first started stressing over a year ago, I was having dental problems and because going the dentist is my biggest phobia I was really really stressing about it. The fact that the problems I had weren't clearing didn't help either and I found myself obsessing and stressing over it everyday. Getting myself worked up by googling the problems I was having and panicking even more when I read what could eveventyally happen. That's when I think my heart palpitations happened.

I've had palpitations since then I think I can't quite remember when they started but they were definitely as a result. I did go the doctors over this and the doctor said because of my age it was going to more as a result of anxiety then heart problems and told me to stop worrying and keep busy basically.

So I did try and do exactly that but it's actually really hard to just not worry and not stress about things. Keeping busy helps I find but if something is worrying or bothering you it's only going to stay in your mind and won't go away.

Anyway I've recently been going the doctors about this again as I found it's gotten worse.

This summer I experienced what I think was my first panic or anxiety attack and at the time I wasn't particularly worrying about anything, it was so random. Since then they have happened occasionally, the palpitations continue and I often feel like I can't breathe, my heart races and I feel sick.

It really scares me cause I feel like there is something wrong with my heart, like my heart is going to give up and stop or that I'll end up having a heart attack. Even though I have had two ECGs I still believe there is something wrong, everytime I get a palpitation I panic which obviously makes it worse.

Today I suddenly went light headed in tesco and that scared me, I feel so weak and sick I just want to go to sleep. If this is anxiety it's slowly starting to affect me daily and I feel completely helpless.

I just want to talk to people who are experiencing what am feeling, who understand it all really.

Anyone having regular palpitations like me? I got given some beta tablets today to slow my heart rate and to help with them. Has anyone been given something like that by their doctor and did they work?

Would really appreciate talking to others in a similar position about this.

19 likes, 173 replies

173 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

OH I almost forgot......DONT GOOGLE SYMPTOMS!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Mandi,

You are not crazy! I can really relate to everything you have said. I have been through all of what you have stated. It's horrible. I had a crying episode this morning completely overcome with fear of health issues. Although they keep telling me I don't have any! I just can't seem to be convinced.

It's one of the most difficult things I have ever had to try and explain to a doctor, my family and my boyfriend. Luckily they were all very supportive.

But please don't think you are on your own. There's millions like us! We shouldn't suffer in silence either. I think it's great we can post our own individual situations on here. But they aren't all that different.

Do you have any hobbies? do you work?

• Posted

Hi Zoe,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am a mom of 5 kids, 3 of my own and 2 step kids. Very busy with school, sports, etc...I also work a 10-11 hrs a day at my own daycare. I am very busy....Almost so busy I shouldn't have time to think so much but I do.

I live in a city where I have no family at all but I live here because my kids dad lives here. I dont go out much since the few friends I have made are also busy with work and their own families. Its so hard to make time for myself. I do try and have a hot bath and read at night when the kids are in bed. I do have a supportive husband. He doesnt really understand all of this which makes it hard on the both of us sometimes but we deal with it the best way we can.

I went to the ER doctor a few weeks ago for a 2nd opinion of a pelvic exam and the doctor said everything felt totally normal. I am convinced she lied to me just to keep me from panicking even more. I am logically thinking that doctors cannot lie to their patients but I still fear she did. she was the sweetest doc and so reassuring that everything felt fine. I still dont believe her. I wish I did but its so hard.

Lately I have been having pains in my right shoulder I do carry a heavy baby carseat, I use my right hand for everything and more so lately than usually so I am hoping its that. But I am starting to think its something serious.

Anxiety can also make us feel physical pain. I would hope its all due to anxiety ( my mild lower back tension, shoulder pain) and nothing serious.

Its so hard to live like this. I am pretty good at controlling my panic attacks especially since I have kids and dont want them seeing me like this. Our oldest is 16. then two 14 year olds an 11 yr old and 7. They are in school during the day.

I dont want them to see me sad or worried. Sometimes they know a little about what I am going through and try to talk to me saying; mom dont worry so muchsmile

My biggest fear is dying and leaving my kids here with no mom. I pray to GOD that doesnt happen. I hate worrying about the worst scenarios. ITS SCARY!!!

I hope your days get better toosmile Do you have kids? Do you take meds or get cbt? Thanks for listening and taking the time to reply. It means a lot!!

• Posted

Hi Mandi,

Im really sorry to hear about how bad things get for you and that you have to cope with it even with young children and full time work, it must really add to the whole experience of anxiety. I feel that it can worsen for me if I try and hide it or ignore it. I don't have any children but my partner is really supportive and if I am feeling very anxious I can let it happen and he knows what is going on and can try to help. It must be really difficult to have to go through this and still try to protect your young ones from the horrors of it all. I really wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy.

Its good that you try and make time to relax and take a bath and read - I love getting lost in books, it just takes me to another world of imagination and my anxiety has no place there. :-)

I really think that if the doctors thought there was something really wrong then it is their job to tell you and your right to know, I would keep telling yourself what they told you, that you are ok - it might sink in, in time. I was constantly wanting to hear those words from the doctor because it did put me at ease - the anxiety creeps back but for a while its not so bad.

And I am trying to tell myself that as we get older, we get aches and pains that just happen because we aren't as young and spring chicken like as we used to be haha. I wasted pretty much all of my 20's worrying that something was wrong and that I was going to die any second, but I didn't. I am 30 in June and I am determined to not spend my 30's like that, I am wasting my life and I hate it.

I have spent a lot of years like this and now my anxiety episodes are few and far between but it has taken a long time and a lot of different kind of help and patience from my family and friends. But when I am in an episode, its the worst time of my life.

I don't have any children but I have young nieces who I am very close with and would hate to ever think of them feeling like this. I always put on my positive up beat vibe when I am around them.

I had CBT but I didn't give it much of a chance. But it was good to talk about it at the time.

I have tried a few different medications. I think its really important to find the right one that works for you. I had tried sertraline, beta blockers, and a few others but I finally settled with venlafaxine. It really worked well for me. I was on that for about 4 years and I came off those last year. It was a long process coming off them and the side affects weren't very nice but I really wanted to not be on medication. I now have camomile teas, herbal rescue remedy spray, I do deep breathing exercises and do more walking than ever before, it helps me sleep better, Im also trying to eat better.

I have read books on anxiety and self help and the one thing that stuck with me was that the feelings of anxiety are very real, the aches and pains are all real, but they stem from a thought pattern, and if we can break that thought pattern into smaller chunks, and then even smaller pieces, we can aluminate anxious thoughts that cause the symptoms. I know its easier said than done, but I think its a really good thing to try!

where abouts are you from? have you tried therapy or medication?

• Posted

Hi,

I live in Canada. We have really good medical coverage here plus we have excellent benefits so I should take advantage of any therapy and counseling I need asap. Its so hard to even find the time.

I put on a happy brave face for my kids all the time. Sometimes its a challenge (when I am feeling really down) which isnt that often but when it happens I kind of distance myself from the kids. I will go in my room to rest or take a bath just to be alone. Sometimes when I have that fear of dying from a serious illness, I get so worked up that I cant focus on anything but that.

I miss out on fun family time when I get like that which I hate. I dont ever want my precious children to miss out on time with me all because of my mental illness.

Dont get me wrong, I do a lot with them and spend a lot of time with them reading, playing, cuddling etc...but there are times they want to play and I am so caught up with diseases, I cant do anything else.

I hate it. I wish I could just get better soon and live my life happy and healthy without all these fears and worries. I wish that for us all.

CBT is suppose to be the best treatment. I took Paxil off and on for over 16 yrs but it has made me gain weight. So I stopped in hopes to get my weight back down to normal.

I understand that we all get aches and pains as we get older. I still worry about every little ache pain/sensation/twitch etc....no matter how mild I will dwell on it or notice it more than someone else would.

I have had a few bad experiences as a child that was very traumatic and so health anxiety probably stems from that.

I am going to try cbt for sure in the next few weeks. I have an ultrasound coming up for the pelvic pain (the ER doctor also said shes more than 97% sure that it will be good) after re-examining me. I am so worried about that and it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.

She said to have it for my own peace of mind. Again, I think shes saying it cause she felt something and doesnt want to tell me. I do try and talk myself into believing what she says. I mean shes an ER doctor and has had to tell many patients bad news (she told me that) when I asked her if she was lying to me...lol I made her promise she wasnt lying to me. I sure hope she was being honest. I mean what does she have to gain by lying right?

Realistically I have the common sense to know better but when my anxiety kicks in I think negative and think different about things. I dont rationalize things when I worry.

I googled symptoms and everything came up as something very bad or serious. That got me into a big panicsad

I am never googling symptoms again!!!

• Posted

You sound like a very honest, hard working brilliant mother and I'm sure your kids mean the world to you.

I really hope you take advantage of the help that is available to you.

I know what you mean about being in that place and only being able to think about that one thing! It is horrible, but it's not forever. There are lots of people that can and will help. I think a lot of self help stuff is about giving it time.

I really hope things get better for you.

Has talking helped at all? Knowing that others have the exact same feelings and thoughts as you?

• Posted

Hi,

thank you very much. I always try to be a very loving, caring, protective mom. Sometimes a little bit too protective because of my anxieties I think.

It does help a lot to talk to someone about this. I hope things get way better for you too. Keep in touch anytime you need to chat. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. Take care!!!

• Posted

hi guys....

am savio nd my age is 23.....

Am glad tht i hav alot of ppl 2 talk abt this....am faceing these same problms...nd i hv no idea what to do.am having these problms since last year but i dint rlly knw what it was....i dint hv ne idea whats goin wrong with me....i thought am gonna die....i still have these symtoms....last 2 nights i could not sleep bcuz of my heart beat...its lyk a horse...

Went 2 alot of doctors for this....bt all my test rprts were normal....that freakd me out more....cuz i have no idea what am suffrng from....last i got checkd by a cadiologist...he told me to do an ECHO....tht rprt was also normal...i was kinda happy nd also had a party tht night....had alot of fun....few days after i get back these panic attcks.....its realy distroyng my health cuz i cant sleep bcuz scared.

no 1 in my famly undrstnds....they think am gone crazy...and also the doctors....i feel helpless.

Can ne 1 plz tell me if this got to do ne thing with the brain....cuz last night i went to sleep at 4 nd woke up at 7....nd i got alot of water in my eyes...nd waz feelng very weak and numb on head,hands and legs....and my hands and legs r always sweatng....i strtd googling nd searchng for solutions nd got this helpfull site....

Well dont have ne idea what should i do....and another thing is the centr of my head is always hot....i wash my head with cold water it stays ok for sumtym...bt it turns hot again....my hands are always red and sweat so r my legs....btw i hav been smokng weed for along tym...then i left smokng....last year i strtd again nd from tht tym onwrds am facng these prblms....so i stpd again...guys plz tell me what should i do.??help....

• Posted

Hi I'm brandi

I just found this forum today and a lot of what you guys said is exactly what ive been going through. It's been happening for a week now. I'm just so worried that sumn is wrong with me... I keep thinking bad thoughts I can't it. Just this morning I broke down and was crying bc I just can't stop thinking. I've been having a lot of headaches and that is what has me the most worried. Bc of course I googled what could be wrong and i seen brain tumor being something and I'm beyond scared now.. UGHH I hate this so much...

• Posted

Hi Brandi, DO NOT GOOGLE THINGS!!!! It is the worst thing you can do. A headache can be caused by 100s of things. it really can...HOWEVER, no matter what you google, CANCER, BRAIN TUMORS etc...will show up. Thats because most sites never have anything positive. I googled things and they all said I had cancer of my stomach, brain tumor, ovarian cancer, blood cancer etc....I got none of that. I was so scared that I went to the ER and got checked. GOOGLE is sooooo bad. It will tell you stuff that no one wants to hear.

My doctor is young and she said that when she was in medical school, she had 8/10 SYMPTOMS of MS and she freaked out. She went and got it checked and she was fine. A few of my friends are nurses and they were learning diseases and reading about diseases online...They were all convinced they had cancer, brain tumors, aneurysms etc...They all are healthy yrs later and nothing was ever wrong. I am not a doctor but the chances of you having a brain tumor are probably slim. Dont worry about that. You can still go to your doc for a check up if your headaches continue but here is a list of things that cause headaches that isnt a brain tumor:

-tension

-anxiety (which you have) I do too

-worry

- tiredness

-stress

-not enough sleep

-caffeine

-certain foods

-bright lights

-too much noise

-migraines

so much more...I am the biggest worrier too and I constantly worry about every little tiny ache/pain...any twitch, cramp or anything that happens with my body, I notice it and I pay attn to it. If you focus too much on your headaches they will get worse. Your brain will make you feel like your headaches are there as long as you dwell on it. It happened to me with my stomach pains. As soon as I stopped thinking about it, they went away. I hope this helpssmile talk to me anytime. I am Amanda and I am a young woman too.I'm 34...I think thats young lol

• Posted

Thankyou a lot Amanda! That did make me feel a lil better.. its nice to know other ppl worry about stuff the way I do. And I have a bad habit of googling things so I'm def gonna make a big effort to stop that. I'm always stressed out bc I worry about every lil thing so maybe that's a cause of my headaches as well. The past 3 nights have been so bad for me. I'm just not used to this anxiety this bad. I'm gonna try my best to just calm down. I haven't gotten checked for my headaches for the fact that I'm so scared of something being wrong. Ugh hopefully I get up the nerve to do that so I can finally/hopefully put my worrying to rest. I'm 20 btw
  • Posted

I am always scared to go to the doctor too because I am scared they will say something is wrong..HOWEVER, IF there was something wrong (and this goes for anyone) then it will continue to get worse right no matter if we know about it or not. At least, if you go to the doctor and they did find something, (which I doubt the will) but if they did, at least they caught it early and your chances of treating it are wayyy higher.

I get scare to go too but I force myself because I want them to find anything that might be wrong with me so they can fix it.

I never really ever had a headache, THANK GOD, but I have been getting mild aches over my eyes lately which is tension headaches. But I swear, everyone I know has had bad headaches from time to time. My mom and my cousins get them all the time really bad. Its migraines.

Try breathing techniques and go online to google helpful tips for dealing with anxiety. it helps a lot.

I started having anxiety at the age of 15. It started when I was in class in gr 9. It was sooo scary. I thought I was going to die. Ever since I have been convinced I have major illnesses and diseases and its been 18yrs now. Thank God nothing so far and I pray it never is.

Im not sure if your religious or what religion you are but saying a little prayer to God definitely helps. Just a private talk with God and it will help. I am not overly religious at all but being raised a catholic, I do say my prayers each night. Nothing in particular...just whatever I feel like asking in the privacy of my bedroom.

It can be as simple as a few words.

it really helped me a lot. I will say a prayer for you too that your anxiety and headaches go away....I'm sure they will with time and maybe a few pain killers.

Have you taken any advil or anything for them?

• Posted

BTW, IF YOU DO GOOGLE TIPS FOR TREATING ANXIETY, DO NOT GOOGLE ANYTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER!!!! IT MAKES THINGS WORSE AND ALL FOR LITTLE OR NO REASON. IT MAKES US THINK THE WORST WHEN ALMOST EVERY SYMPTOM IN THE WORLD HAS A 100 MEANINGS....
    • Posted

hi guys 

i am so happy i found this forum it makes me feel better.  anyway i am also suffering and experiencing all the pains/ ache, serious illness feels like right now same as you.  i am also living in Canada and youre right we have a good benefits and coverage when it comes to health and stuff. ive gone a lots of physical examination and test lab. 

and everything is well.  my anxiety started a week after my closest cousin died  last month  because of leukemia.  i feel like i am scared and fear all the time cause i might see her and always on my side specially at night. i feel like i always see her face.  funny thing from the day she died i always sleep in my parents room i cant get out of the fear. and then i started to feel like sick, in pain. almost every parts of my body are aching and things get worse.  i have severe backpain, shortness of breath, severe head ache i feel like i have tumor on my brain, itchy skins even on my testicles, dry mouth, dehydrated, joint pain, runny nose, sinusitis, hernia, cancer and almost every serious or fearfull life-threatening problems even aids.

btw. i was dianogsed to have hepatitis B and fatty liver last 2011 and under medication for 6 months. and after that 6 months of medication i repeat the test for hep B and its negative i decided to take a re-exam for the 3rd time and its all negative even my aids.  moving on. 

i took an anxiety online examination and i found out i reached 85% of anxiety level which is dangerous and getting trouble in my health issues.  and every time i feel anything painful in my body i search symptoms on google. and it turns i have serious illness or life threating problem and i always connect it with my illness before.  

then i decided to see my family doctor for physical examination. and i found that all body aches, muscle pains that i have right now cause of unproper posture of lifting heavy materials at work, and too much stress. and he examine my eyes he found out that i am very anxious. 

after that everything is getting worse.  my urine is brownish type, sometimes its yellow, and the bowel movement is getting worse. i feel like i have diarrahea. 

so i decided to go to Emergency.  theres a blood in my urine but thw doctor its fine the result turns to nothing serious.  he checked my spine, heart beat, lungs all are normal even my kidney.  he even checked my testicle, scrotum cause i feel like i have hernia and he said its fine nothing serious.  

then i felt relief.  but i have an appointment on saturday june 28th for ultrasound.   when my anxiety attacks me again. i started to search symptoms of what i am experiencing and makes me worried. 

• Posted

Im so Happy I found this I Thought I was the only onerolleyes I'v had a palpitation and its very scary! i went to the emergency room And they did a Blood test urine test and a EKG they said everything was fine but i still feel chest pain at times and I feel like My heart speeds up or slows down specially at night I try and take my mind off of my pulse but its Impossible at night when i get scared and think im going to get a heart attack or something sad I'v also had a Heart monitor for 24hrs and they said it was fine as well but now i think i just have Anxiety? im only 17 Years old and im trying to eat healthy sleep my 8hrs eveything its just so fustrating no one else that i know personally Has this but im Really glad I found this and Googling Stuff does make everything worse!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.