Anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had anxiety since the age of 19 I'm now 35 but I try to stay strong and been on and off tablets which I no is not really a good approach. I have been fine for nearly a year tablet free until the last 2 month , my anxiety is back and I'm struggling to deal with calming it down , mostly physical like chest pain , my breathing dizziness and constantly feeling bloated however can't remember if been bloated was ever apart of anxiety

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Derek,

I really feel for you. I'm 30 and have suffered from anxiety since I was 16. I'd be ok until Feb this year and then have had a really rubbish few months.

I'm not currently on meds so can't advise with that but if they helped before it might be worth discussing again with your doctor. Have you tried any form of therapy? I'm currently having CBT, still undecided on whether it works for me but if you've not tried it that could help.

Other than that the most important thing is that you recognise your symptoms are anxiety, that's the first step. Make sure you look after yourself. Eat well, do regular exercise and try to get on with your normal acitivities. Good luck :-)

• Posted

What's CBT sorry am abit slow lol , 1st I've tried a forum so hope talking to others helps
    • Posted

I understand what CBT is now , I was seeing a psychiatrist years ago the only good thing I really learned from that was the breathing exercises but I've tried this and can't seem to control it , I was really bad when I 1st got it at 19 it took over my life I wouldn't leave the house until I decided I wasn't gona beat me and done things I wasn't comfortable with like going to shopping centres I'm so pleased it's not at that stage now
  • Posted

I read in one of your comments breathing exercises didn't work for you. I'd recommend anyway you see a breathing therapist, to get some support in practicing these exercises in the right way and the right frequency.

Also I would recommend doing a blood panel on the B vitamines and vitamine D. These causes of anxiety are often overlooked, but can have a major impact on your well being.

Also regular exercise is of great importance; it regulates your brain chemistry in a good way. I can't stress this enough: it's REALLY important. Make sure you go for a half an hour stroll every day at least.

Pills are just a temporary solution, to suppress symptoms, but the don't solve the cause of your anxiety.

You probably developed some disfunctional thought patterns during the past years. For solving these I also, like some other commenters, would recommend CBT. It's very effective when offered by a good therapist, a few months should be sufficient.

The chest pain is a sign of tension in your chest, it will be relieved by doing breathing exercises daily. The bloating is caused by a disbalance in your gut flora due to stress, best take probiotics a.s.a.p. to solve this. it might take a couple of weeks to feel better, be patient, take them every day.

Also make sure you eat healthy: loads of vegetables, fresh meat and fatty fish.

• Posted

Hi Derek, like yourself I suffer with anxiety & I've been taking antidepressants for 26 years! Here's a suggestion that helps me a lot! CYCLING! I do quite long distances and a lot of Mountain biking....trust me it helps no end! Just do a couple of miles to start off with! It torches anxiety and for me has been a great help! Let me know how you get on mate, as I've many other suggestions being a diagnosed chronic generalised anxiety sufferer!
    • Posted

Hi Chris I used to go to the gym quite a lot but the running bit always got me been out of breath but I did feel better in myself doing exercise
  • Posted

I am 29 now and have Generalised Anxiety Disorder since ive been 19. Have been through different meds and it comes and gos. I notice a med could be working for me and then after a few years my body builds an immunity and boom, bang to the start again. I am going through a very bad patch at present but I have recently joined a meditation group which I am finding helpful and also reiki is good.

Its going to be slow process for me this time as I am also suffering from Major Depressive but Im sure once they get a med to suit me and I continue what im doing, things will get better

• Posted

also does anyone else suffer difficulty swallowing with their anxiety
    • Posted

It worked for me but I was on 3 a day and there very strong I used to sleep like a baby , antidepressants
  • Posted

all i can say is that my anxiety started at around fifteen sixteen worse at seventeen and it has been a daily unimaginable hell i feel like im the only one in the world who knows what i would ever mean and i am 33 now almost 34 and it has never changed its been this way every day for all of these years. every second of every day. for all of these years. i saw the original poster and at least one person who replied have anxiety that also started that long ago or so and now at their increased age we still have it all these freaking years later. that i cannot seem to understand. why it is never gotten better only worse or the same mostly worse. in ALL this time.
    • Posted

I'm not sure to be honest I have heard of people having it and been OK within a few months I do wish I'd been 1 of those but unfortunately looks like I've got it for life . So yours has never become manageable in all that time
    • Posted

I've yet to find that one out but apparently it's always good to carry a bottle of water and keep well hydrated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.