Anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm now into my 3rd week of taking fluoxetine for really bad physical symptoms of anxiety. At first it made me feel worse for the first week or so (I actually thought I was going to die!) but after that I started to feel a bit better with some minor side effects like tremors- but it was manageable. However, yesterday I had a bit of a set back when I was at work, I started to feel a bit weird again so I thought I'd better eat some

Breakfast, then I started to cry for no reason at all. Afterwards I was ok throughout the rest of the day but then last night I started to feel dizzy and had a panic attack- again, struggling to find out what the trigger is. I took diazepam last night to ensure that I would get some sleep but I was awake at 6am this morning with anxiety which is what was happening a few weeks ago. I feel really disappointed as I thought the fluoxetine was working and I feel like I'm going to go back to square 1 again. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this on fluoxetine or in general?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with the physical symptoms of depression - leg weakness, heavy head, headache, dizziness, fatigue, exhaustion - never had anything like this in my 53 years - was always happy and healthy, then after a couple of medical issues, apparantly my brain just overheated and boom - depression and it's horrible physical symptoms.  I started on prozaz 20mg november 18 - never changed the dosage, even when my brain was telling me to.  the first week, my emotional state was much better, but the phsycial symptoms were hell for a long time.  I knew I was in for a long, slow recovery - mainly because of finding this site and other people's expereinces - which has been a blessing.  I'm happy to say I'm starting my 11th week and am probably back to 90-95% myself - the occasional tiny heavy head and gastric issues, but that's starting to disappear also.  One thing I found that was my recovery 'bible' was the following description of the process.  Maybe it will help you.  But I would say - don't change your dosage this early in your recovery - and know that you won't just wake up one day feeling great - it's a slow process that one day you will just think - 'hey-i haven't felt too bad the last couple of days'.

So, in short, here is what I have read to be typical:

Week 1: This week can go either way. Some find almost immediate improvement while other see the side effects (see weeks 2-3) after the first day.

Weeks 2,3: These are almost always the most difficult. Anxiety and depression can get worse than before the medication. Side effects kick in, these can include sleeplessness, nightmares, diarrhea, nausea, hot flashes, excessive sweating (especially at night), dry mouth, muscle twitches, overall muscle weakness and pain, zero appetite, and very negative mental outlook. My advice is, take these one day at a time and try not to get discouraged, not every day will be bad and better times are ahead!

Weeks 4,5: Some improvement. The side effects lessen to some point, and there are moments when you start to feel normal. Typically evenings are the best and mornings the worst. Many start playing around with dosage at this point because they are told that the Prozac should be working, my advice: hold the course!

Weeks 6,7: More improvement. Maybe 50% to 70% better than before starting. There are often blips where you feel just terrible for a few days, but not usually over a week. Some side effects lessen, but also you may get new side effects. Hang in there, you are getting ready to turn a corner!

Weeks 8-10: Even more improvement. There still are blips, but they are less severe and shorter, maybe 1-2 days. Not normal yet, but getting better day by day. The side effects are usually 75% or so gone. Light at the end of the tunnel!

Weeks 10-12: Maybe this is wishful thinking for me (I'm not here yet), but this is where most see the best results. Some quotes from this time period: "best in months", "Amazing", "Feel good", "brilliant". Again, this is for the people for whom the prozac did work, not everyone, and for those who stuck to their original dosage. For some, this happens at 7 weeks, for some, 3-4 months. But, from what I have read, 10-12 weeks is the payoff time.

I hope this helps, please let me know if it does! Others, please feel free to offer differences, or additions to this summery. The purpose is to give those struggling an idea of what to expect. I feel for everyone struggling through this terrible disease, it's truly awful, but you will get through it! There are many great posters here willing to help with questions and are very supporting. I am grateful to them all!

• Posted

Hi Ron, thank you so much for taking the time to post a description of the recovery process! I will be looking back over it especially on my bad days, to help get me through. I felt the worst of the symptoms in the first week or so when I started the Prozac. It was awful and like nothing I've ever had to deal with before. Everyone has been so positive on here that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I'm holding on to any hope. I think the thing that scares me the most is when I'm really down and anxious, I can't see a way out and I'm scared that I'm going to lose my mind, get sectioned etc. I know I'm just being irrational and that it's just the anxiety or side effects that's causing those thoughts.

Thank you again for taking the time for me. I will let you all know how I'm doing soon.

Jade x

• Posted

Hang in there Jade, a couple of months can seem like an enternity, but just know that a better life is there and you will get back. In the end, it does get better, and if you're not feeling better, no matter what your brain is saying, it's not the end. Rewiring the brain to get you back to who you were takes time. Remember, this disease is not a weakness, just a sign you've been too strong for too long.

• Posted

Thanks! It was someone I found on this site that posted that recovery and it was a life saver. Most docs won't be that frank with you and usually say 4-6 weeks. But it can be double that. I'm on my 11th, much better but not all the way back. Just have to hang in there, and there has been nothing I've experienced that has been as hard as this.

• Posted

Great post. Briilant ive upped my dose now 2 days ago . On 40 it's been 11weeks .

• Posted

Thanks. How is it treating you? Upping the dose USB definitely the right move for some. I was able to get through on the original dose. I guess I was always a bit apprehensive to go up for fear of more side effects
    • Posted

I'm so nervous of upping the dose. I am hoping as my body is used to fluoxetine the higher dose will not be ok. I am not quite myself yet but getting there very slowly .

• Posted

I can't thank you all enough for the support! Just knowing I'm not alone in this is making me feel half way there. If I have a bad day I know I can come here and write about it and I think getting it out helps a lot. And I'd encourage anyone to do the same xx

• Posted

Absolutely it does Jade. I think the power of just talking about it to others who know exactly what your going through is a major part of the healing process. It's reassuring, and installs a sense of hope - even if it's just enough to get you through the next hour or two.

I think I would be ok if I could just stop these irrational thoughts that suddenly pop into my head, the "what ifs" that bring the feelings dread and despair. They will go eventually. Others on here (Katiecogs is great!!) have assured me of this!

• Posted

Well, last night I had a restless night and didn't get as much sleep as I'd like to have. I ended up taking 3 2mg diazepams just so I could give myself some rest as the next day I physically cannot function especially with a 4 year old! I'm all out of diazepams now which means if I can't get any sleep tonight I feel doomed! Anyway, I don't want to have to rely on taking anymore medication than I already need to do wondered if anyone has any tips on getting off to sleep/ switching off?

• Posted

I listen to some deep sleep hypnosis on you tube with headphones .Works for me , got a 2 year old and 6 year old to look after . Sleep is essential. I tried sleeping they did not work for me as I was that anxious .
    • Posted

Ok maybe I could try that if I find sleeping hard. Usually I do sleep ok but find it hard to switch off sometimes and then waking up at random times like 3am? So weird
    • Posted

Hi jade,

not sure if this is any good for you, ive been using this method to keep my mind off how i feel. So in bed or trying to sleep i think of countries, dog breeds, cat breeds. I start at a and go through to z ie america, brazil, canada, when i get to a letter i have to think hard. Sometimes i only get halfway through lists, i fall asleep. Movies, songs, actors, start at a or just go through your mind and think of as many as you can. Its like counting sheep your mind gets tired of counting. Also warm milk with honey in it, as milk has a calming effect. Lavender also calms the mind, dab a bit of the oil on your wrist. Its good for headaches too. Watch a soothing sound video on youtube, water sounds, rainforest, birds, beach. My sleep has changed with the higher dose of flou, but my cat wakes me for food or pats so that doesnt help. Also here in Australia the nights have been so hot blah.

😆

• Posted

Thank you carol, that's sounds really helpful I never thought of that I will give it a go if I can't sleep again. I have a shift this evening where I don't get home until 10.30pm so I'm a little worried that I won't be able to switch off when I get home. I will try these methods and let you know how I get on. Wow I would love to have hot weather here in England! It's minus 1 here today 😩

• Posted

Hi Jade,

well id love a bit of snow! Im originally from Edinburgh, we emigrated in 1966. Our first summer here was horrible, mozzies, cockroaches, snakes, red back spiders! I will never forget it such a culture shock! I know how it is to live through a winter, 1964 we were snowed in, we kids thought it was great no school!

its been so hot here, ive not felt like staying out and walking! When you are trying to sleep maybe try tensing your foot, relax it, move up to your calf, tense and relax. Do this all over, and say relax as you release and breath.

Flowers are another thing to think about picture the flower you think of. Imagine the scents, snowdrops feature with me as do daffodils coz its spring in UK lol, well thats what i picture!. Songs and trying to remember the singer/ bands.

i hope your sleep improves, it will eventually patience is the key. Go with the flow, dont rush agianst it all.

Cheers🌷

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.