Anxiety about going to a party

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I am 16 years old and parties with the people I know can get very ugly and wild. All the people I know drink a lot of alcohol and smoke weed and I am different from them, I don't want to do any of this. I also suffer from anxiety and over thinking and I get uncomfortable very easily and get needy and I don't want that but can't help it. To make my problem even more difficult I am an over-protective girlfriend but not in a psycho way just want what is best for my boyfriend and don't want him to get wasted until he doesn't even know his name(he doesn't usually drink and doesn't like it but when with friends I am afraid he will). We are invited to one of his best friends party in less than a month and part of me wants to go to see if I can get over my anxiety and also keep an eye on my boyfriend but also a major problem is that the party is half an hour away from my city and if I have an anxiety attack I can't get home unless I pay a lot of money on a taxi in the middle of the night..I want to have fun or at least try but I dont want to end up alone in a corner crying because there aren't many people I know there. What should I do? I have been over thinking this for 2 days..

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

I was just like you at age 16. I really didn't fit in. None of the girls in my class were like me - until an American student joined because her father had to work in the UK (I live in England.)

She and I got on very well. It was just the two of us. Everyone else seemed to want to smoke and drink and have sex.

And I didn't (horror!) like their music.

It was awful. But now, having seen my four children through their teen years, I can see how it happened.

Lisa and Cia are right - you will have better and more valuable choices as soon as you leave school.

If I were you, I wouldn't go to the party.  But I'm not you - you'll have to decide.

All I know is that when I went to parties I was always bored stiff and the music drove me nuts.

And one last thing - you say your boyfriend really cares for you - but he still gets wasted sometimes. So, does he REALLY care for you? I know you're both young but getting wasted is a waste of time when you could be doing something you enjoy.

This feeling will disappear once you have a peer group at university, trust me.

Enjoy the rest of your life. Teenage years are not usually very enjoyable. xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.