Anxiety and Depression at 19

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a 19 year old male, that is currently suffering Anxiety and Depression.

I've recently broken up with my girlfriend, and i'm petrified being without her, and her being with someone else.

We spent almost everyday together, and was together for around a year.

I picked her up after work, and dropped her home before work. Now nothing...

I've also suffered my parents getting divorced, and consequently needing to move house.

This may sound silly to you, and i know a lot of people are a lot worse off, but i'm really suffering from anxiety, and panic attacks, and i'm depressed. I've been to my GP, and he has diagnosed me, and has put me on 20mg medication.

Have you got any advice, or any support they can give me.

I'm so low at the moment, and not sure how much i can take.

Thanks, Sam.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sam,

Breakups are never easy. When my ex-boyfriend (who was the love of my life) broke up with me I was devestated. Everyone is different and you needs to find what works best for you but for me I tried to spend as much time with family and friends as I could tolerate. Threw myself into work so I didn't have to think so much and gave myself persmission to be sad knowing that eventually it will pass. It's terrible when you're going through it but it does get easier as time passes and one day you'll be yourself again. 

Another thing that worked for me was talking to a therapist. After a short period of time my friends and family got tired of me talking about the breakup and I felt like I still needed someone to listen so I found myself a local therapist. The great thing about seeing one is that you can talk about the same thing over and over again until YOU feel like you don't need to any more.

Best advice is be kind to yourself and do whatever it is that you need to do to bring some comfort into your life.

• Posted

Thanks for your response.

Honestly every little thing helps! 

I'm seeing a councillor tonight at 6, i've been off work for a week, but have forced myself back to work today. Trouble with my job is that when its quiet in the shop, i have far too much time to think. 

My best mate works nights, and i work days, so we only get to see each other at weekends. I've got other friends, but i don't feel comfortable being with them at this time. 

The hardest thing is going to sleep, i really can't sleep, and when i do, i wake up really early. (5am this morning, and i don't start work till 9.30)

I've had one slice of toast in 5 days sad

• Posted

What sensible advice. Well done! I am a grandmother now but still remember that feeling from when I was young. Just wished I'd been as wise as you! 

Best wishes

• Posted

I know the nights are the worst. Everyone is asleep and there's no one to reach out to even if you do want to talk. I gave up on sleeping and watched tv until I would finally fall asleep. If you stress yourself out and think that you need to be asleep by a certain time it just makes it worse. When your body gets tired enough you'll sleep.
    • Posted

Being on my own, watching TV would definetely cause me to have a panic attack. I never knew there was such a feeling, as low, and terrifying as this sad
  • Posted

Hi Sam your in a bad place right now,your to young to have all this going on in your life.your parents will sort their lives out don't fret on that.maybe a move of your home will give you a fresh start.Start of a new beginning girlfriends well they come and go,the right ones out there waiting for you,get out with your mates enjoy what's out there ,then soon you won't notice the anxiety and depression it will lift,see if your friends got any holiday plans if yes go join them on a holiday .you can make good things happen think positive not negative .you can do it  Sam xx
    • Posted

Sam one thing I'd tell folk with anxiety etc is never ever go on symptom checker worse thing anyone with anxiety can do I've never done it know better at my age,Get on You tube meditations they are brilliant  music is so relaxing brings the worst of days down Give it a go and ask around for meditation book best thing I learnt how to do and in a group with 7 of us,Maybe someone knows of a Meditation group you could join in your area I've found it has great benefits to anxiety. Ask a counsellor if they know a group you can join Sam  xx 
  • Posted

Hello Sam

You have your WHOLE LIFE in front of you, and relationships may or may not work out, until one day you find the right person for you.  Parents divorcing is always very sad, and has a great impact on the children.  It is early days for the things happening to you but given time, things will sort out.  Go with the flow and enjoy your young life.  Good Luck!

• Posted

Hello Sam

Yes it is easier said than done, but I was 17 when  I had my first panic attack......

and I am now in my seventies.  Have suffered all my life, but things beyond my control have made  my life very difficult.  But I have still managed to lead a very intersting life, in full employment in responsible jobs, raised a family and travelled the world.  I, as a female, still enjoy clothes and make-up, and I hope I am a glamourous grandmother.  I have been on 11 cruises ans flown all over the world.  So take heart!  Look to the future, please.... you do have one.!

• Posted

I'm sure you are a glamourous grandmother! Thank you for your advice, and i will take on board what you've said. 

Thank you! 

• Posted

A quick update regarding my first councelling session.

I would highly recommend it to anyone that is thinking about going to one.

Even after one session, i'm filled with hope.

They really put things in prospective! 

• Posted

Glad you went ,and you got something from it today.Hope you keep going 1 hour every week for 6 weeks.Now for you to keep busy don't sit around with the TV in the next few days.It will bring you back down .Get out and kick a ball around do something. Stay in touch Sam x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.