Anxiety and feeling faint

Posted , 26 users are following.

I have had anxiety for 10 years, I wasn't originally depressed but become very low because of the ongoing anxiety knocking my confidence down to zero. I can understand and get my head around the nervous feelings and constant daily anxiety but it is when I feel faint that it really gets me down, this is like another feeling entirely. It feels like you can't concentrate on what you are doing, you feel unsteady and as if you are ready to fall to the floor, afterwards I feel very cold, tired and shaky and it can take hours for me to feel right. This adds to the daily anxiety as it is frustrating, sometimes when it happens, I can't really say I am anxious at that moment until this feeling comes over me and then I just get down because I wander if I can ever live a carefree life again without constantly getting this. It hadn't happened for a few months until this week, I thought I was getting there but this has set me back. I have been on ad's for 8 months although I feel they have done little for the anxiety, they may have lifted my mood slightly but that could have just been time and and talking??

Does anyone else have this as part of anxiety or could it be a seperate issue? I have had blood tests for everything - all clear and ecg for rapid heart rate but this came back ok and heart rate is due to the tablets.

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jessica, I understand those awful thoughts and feelings you have when a panic washes over you and I think you're brave to subject yourself to an interview when you feel so fragile. Those feelings of panic just escalate as soon as we allow 'what if . . .' thoughts to enter our heads. The fact is that by then the worst has usually already happened, that dreadful panicky feeling is rock bottom and if you can try to remind yourself that you CAN get through it and that the more accepting you are, the sooner those feelings will pass, then I believe it will help you to feel a bit more in control.

I was nervous about starting on antidepressants because I was worried about possible side effects and certainly I didn't feel too well for the first few weeks but I persisted and am so glad I did as they help me enormously. I don't know of any over the counter remedies that help at all. It's great that you've been recommended for talking therapy though because that will certainly help and with no nasty side effects. Take strength knowing that you're not alone in suffering in this way and that there is help available.

• Posted

Hey guys,

Since my last post things have been MUCH better. My cousin is a CBT therapist and we went over a few breathing exercises and really got into why this is so COMMON and why there is nothing to fear.

That is the BIGGEST thing i can offer.. NOTHING is going to happen to you. We've all had panic attacks and it spikes and it sucks but it PASSES. And you are FINE. Keep thinking about that when you start to get a little anxious.. there is nothing to be anxious about.. this is a feeling you have felt before and even if you do have an attack, it will pass and you will be fine. You will not die, you will not have a heart attack, nothing is wrong with you!

The exercises i found helpful is actually exercise.. go for a jog to regulate your breathing back to normal. If you are having an attach, take shallow breaths from your stomahc ( practice this when you arn't anxious first ).

Another important thing.. whatever your environment may be that trigger the anxiety.. DO NOT avoid it.. put it in your head that its a challenge. take baby steps. go for a bit then leave.. Prove yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of.

My anxiety has not gone away but i have convinced myself that being anxious about an anxiety attack is silly. if one happens, it happens. I'll get over it in 20 minutes and i'll be fine.. use you attacks as a example of you overcoming them. You've had them, they pass and you will be fine

• Posted

Hi Dan

I just wanted to let you know that this post gave me a lot of hope. I'm 18 about to make a lot of new changes in my life with college and everything and I've been having aniexty/panic attack issues for about two years, sometimes there's a reason and sometimes not. They got more intense too after I had a really bad trip on a possibly laced edible. They usually come on when I get really nervous, I'm in a big crowd, in a clausterphobic environment, or just thinking about things too much. Everytime it happens I try and use a lot of the stuff you talk about in this post and it seems to help and the more I do it the better I get at overcoming the panic.

I'm also really trying to take up a more serious meditation routine, I think that'll help. But it's just nice to know that there's a voice of reason behind all this madness. Thanks.

• Posted

Hey Dan - how has CBT been going for you? Or did you only go for a little while? I've had a pretty bad panic disorder w/ agorophobia for the last 5 yrs and I'm thinking it's definitely time to start something up.
  • Posted

Hi, i have suffered with anxiety/ panic attacks for the past 18 yrs and i also have a feeling that im going to faint which makes the anxiety/ panic attack worse but i have always had a fear of fainting( dont know why) so thats what makes my symptoms worse so your'e not on your own. Hope this eases your mind a little.
    • Posted

Hello all,

I am a 26 year old guy, no drugs, alcohol, eating healthy, moderate sports so i would have no reason to go trough the hell i am going, especially the feeling that i am so sick that i am going to faint, and the daily minor aches, heart tightness. I feel such a huge tension in my heart that i sometimes feel that something wrong is going to happen with it. I also have the rest of the symptoms you all mentioned. Have been to 3 cardiologists, had 2 Echographys, many EKG's, A 24H Ekg and 24H blood pressure, blood works, Cerebral RMN,Upper Endoscopy(also have digestive issues), even The Chromogranin A test to check for small tumours. Everything is clean. Yet i feel i will faint and it feels like it comes from the heart and sometimes from the stomach. I am very scared, i am desperate i will have an arythmia and faint or a serious heart condition. I don't know how to be sure it's anxiety and not something worst, altough my CBT therapyst said she's 90% sure it's generalized anxiety. Having panick attacks to... I wish someone could help me. Cheers.

• Posted

Anyone have serious chest tightness, heart aches, heart pinches, heart palpitations, a feeling you are going to faint from your heart and other strange sick sensation related to the heart? EKGs, BP and echography indicate all is well and never lost my conciousnes (yet?).
  • Posted

YES, I do too, your not alone. I work for a construction co. I have to drive a flat truck hauling materials. Sometimes outta the blue, its like I get a weird feeling, then my legs get wobbly, and almost pass out, but I never do, I'm on Ativan now, i use to take it whenever i need it, but now, my doctor put me on it everyday. When I take it everyday, I don't feel right, but then when do i ever feel right???? but i can't take the ativan everyday. I don't know what stress can really do to a person, but its about to take control of my life. I only feel this way at my job? so I know thats where the problem lies. But its hard to control these attacks, I call  them spells. sometimes I get so bad, i don't even realize what I'm doing. They are very scary. places i see everday don't even look the same when I have these spells. And I'm on blood pressure medicine also. I try to tell myself when I have them, its nothing serious, its all in my mind, but its not that easy to control.
  • Posted

I have read every post in here and I'm very glad that I did. 

I'm a girl in my twenties.  I have add and ptsd and asthma as well as anxiety.  I get light headed sometimes and feel as though I need to lay down.  Sometimes when I get light heaDed I feel as though the floor kinda wobbles a little bit.  Like it isn't still. I feel as though sometimes my limbs aren't mine when it's bad anxiety. I feel like I can't catch a full breath which then makes me have more anxiety.  It's a viscous circle.  I too would really like to not have this issue and not use medication.  I'm still not sure if it is possible m I see a therapist on a weekly basis which helps a little.  I have a friend that was in a very place for about ten years and is in AA now and he's my favorite person to talk to.  He can definitely help me calm down a lot and analyze the situation and my feelings.  

It's anxiety. I can only control so much of it.  It seems to make me depressed and agitated after an attack and that's me being difficult towards myself and that I had yet another one.  The best advice I have is yes breath!!! Remember that this has happened many times before and you make it out every time,  even though for me each panic attack feels different so I convince myself it won't end.  

But I do agree that I do not make it better.  I think that about 60% off the time I talk myself into them.  I think too myself that I haven't had one in awhile or some thought about it and then in my mind somewhere I obsess over the thought until I have an episode.

acknowledging that I can not control every thing helps greatly.  Knowing I'm not alone helps. Knowing I'm okay and I can breath helps.  It's just about how hard are you going to be on yourself?  You can only help maybe 20% of your panic.  You can't make it non existent. And no it isn't an easy fix m it's a constant day to day struggle.  This is the first time in a very very long time that I've gone maybe a full week with no anxiety and I'm very happy but if I have one I can't beat myself up over it. Most people have had anxiety.  And a lot have it as often as we seem to.  That honestly is a huge thing that has helped me.  Knowing people understand at least some what. I've realized people that don't understand anxiety and get annoyed with the panic attacks are people I can not be around and refuse to.  It doesn't help.  It only hurts because you are thinking of how you really can't freak out because so and so may get upset,  guess what... you started a panic attack lol.  

I really hope that people continue to write on this.  I did not know the feeling light headed and "faint" thing I get sometimes is a part of anxiety.  It helps relieve the stress knowing that I'm not the only one.  

I look forward to continuing to read the comments.  

I'm keeping everyone in my thoughts! 

P.S. I apologize for any incorrect auto correct.  I'm on my smart phone and text faster than I can re-read it lol.  

• Posted

Hi everyone I guess I'm not alone in toda either.  Nobody that hasn't happened thru this will understand.  I have had anxiety, depression and vertigo for 5 years.  I hate it!  I hate it will all my heart.  I want to feel normal. Whatever that is.  I get veo anxious over anything.  Like today I put clothes to wash and my heart started racing and felt like I war going to pass out. I been on medicine on and off I hate taking them.  I don't want to depend on med's.  Can someone please tell me how to get rid of the vertigo, I'm sad all the time because of this I can't do normal things like the rest can. God bless us and heal us all
  • Posted

i am currently suffering from panic attack disorder and anxiety attacks the doctors said i have the symptoms of both, i have to get a series of blood tests and alot of scans within the next couple of days and then they will know what it is thats making my bones week extremely tiredness chest pains, go in and out of consiousness hot and cold tempereatures and shaking legs and arms im already suffering from diabetes so that makes it worse for me its a family genetic disorder i might have but the serious part thats what killed my grandad and he was only 54 and my dad has it he is taking a variety of meds for this  

• Posted

I know how your feeling! It all started at the grocery store I felt like I was going to drop and was dizzy I was terrified. I didn't think much of it, then it happened when I was at the mall, I felt like my feet weren't attached and that when I walk I feel unbalanced like I'm going to fall.. I have a fear of fainting and walking and going out into public now.. The doctors think it's all in my head. I'm on Prozac now and Xanax but still everytime I stand or walk I feel like I'm going to fall and idk why
  • Posted

As a matter of fact I feel the same way but when the first started it would feel like my throat was closing so I went to an ENT doctor and all that's road is my sinus cavity# tissue are so swollen it looks like grapes.....but now it feels like I'm hyperglycemic and shaky.....I take my valium or you may know it as diazepam and usually if that doesn't work I take my xanax which is only .05mg buy it helps.alot and just try to eat something like a bowl of cereal maybe soup or a.sandqich and if you have fruit that's even better....my problem with it is that it's so bad right now...I'm exhausted but yet can't go ft o sleep.....so just email sometime an day be we can help each other out....I am a.female and am not single.but I would love to talk more about this with you
  • Posted

I have been suffering from an anxiety based disorder for about 6 years now, started when I was at university. Came out of the blue - healthy, no drugs etc etc. Anyway, it doesn't matter where it came from, it's about dealing with it the best you can. 

Best thing I have ever done is to stop fighting it. I feel light headed constantly, suffer with the odd full on panic attack with all the symptoms described here. Anyway, within the last 6 years, the best times I have had are when I have stopped looking for answers. Spend time with friends and family. Have a policy where you say yes to things you wouldn't normally say yes to. Sounds weird, but the more 'normally' you live your life, the more 'normal' you will feel.

For those of you who are considering medication but might be worried, don't be. I have been on a massive variet of differing meds. None really have any major side effects (not in my case anyway). I've had good and bad spells both on and off various SSRI's. 

• Posted

Thanks for this post. I was looking up feeling faint and was wondering what was causing it. I have been suffering from anxiety daily for over two months now and the good thing is that I know what is causing it because over 10 years ago I had my first episode which was very scary.

My anxiety is caused by childhood issues that were suppressed back then and now simply need to be dealt with so just like back then I am now seeing a therapist for it(the same one in fact).

I must say that I feel better now knowing that the faint feeling is the norm for anxiety. Anxiety itself is very difficult and mine is usually triggered by negative thoughts so I try to write down my emotions and feelings and identify the trigger. I definitely would recommend seeing a therapist because you gain knowledge and that helps you to cope. Being around other people make me anxious but I try to tell myself positive things like there is nothing to worry about etc I also try to take long breaths and try to imagine that I am breathing in positive and releasing negative. Overall I find that writing is what really helps me to calm down.Once you are able to identify the trigger, it is a major plus. I then would try to counteract with positive words to overcome. I've learnt the hard way over ten years ago that dealing with the problem is really the only way to overcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.