Anxiety and Menopause!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

I know there are several posts on anxiety and peri/meno and a forum just for anxiety. But I had to get to the bottom of this especially when I am told conflicting information.

I know that anxiety can come from a traumatic situations in your life but I have had several and never had a issue with anxiety so I couldn't figure out why so much now. I was told that anxiety was not a part of peri.

Well I did some research ( in which I vowed to never do again because it scares the heck out of me) and low and behold, anxiety was one of the main symptoms. I find myself waking up nervous, I get nervous just driving a distance which I never was at first. I used to love to drive, now I can't do it alone. I find myself just sitting and all of a sudden I get nervous. Since I have started with these symptoms, my anxiety is through the roof. I have addressed it with my GP who doesn't get it and just gave me a script for Ativan. I am going to try it because I really do need to relax a little.

What I want to know is does this anxiety stay with you during the duration of the change? Or does it get better?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I hope not I've had it every single day for the past eighteen months it's horrid it's a struggle to get through each and every day wondering when this hell will stop sorry I can't be any help I am too looking for answers take care x
  • Posted

Hi

I have had anxiety thru the years an occasional anxiety attack now ughhhh I don't like driving either my anxiety is thru the roof when I drive! The Ativan should help it can make you drowsy so if you need to take it during the day try a half it should help! Peri menopause is a night mare for sure hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thanks Chrisann144,

Yeah it is wearing me out. I try to keep myself together as much as possible but it is hard. Im not on any meds except what I have to take which is an iron tablet, a folic acid tablet, and a blood pressure pill. I can say that since taking the iron tablet I feel a little better than I did but these crazy symtpoms seem to come and go. Some I have learned to deal with and others just cause anxiety like you wouldn't believe.

• Posted

My peri symptoms really came to light about 6 months ago when I started waking up in the middle of the night with full blown anxiety attacks.  Twice in the ER as I felt something was seriously wrong.  The symptoms multiplied on a daily basis as the days went on.  Finally I put my foot down and decided I was going to fight them as life was absolutely miserable.  And like your driving situation I became like that with flying.  I had a trip planned and was certain I wouldn't be able to get on the plane.  After research and speaking to my doctor I visited a cognitive behavorial therapist (taught me how to talk myself out of an anxiety attack and how to relax when my mind was taking over) and started taking a Vitamin B stress complex.  I also read "The Menopause Book" by Pat Wingert and Barbara Kantrowitz and the Panic Attacks Workbook by David Carbonell.  There is a fear of driving chapter in that book also.  It makes you realize you are not crazy.  Another thing we realized was that I pretty much had a diet soft drink addiction and it was suggested to me to cut all artificial sweeteners out of my diet.  I am thrilled to report that a combination of these things has helped me.  I rarely awake with anxiety anymore and when I do I now know how to control it.  I got on that airplane and enjoyed a wonderful trip with my family and am enjoying life much more now which is a 100% turnaround from what I thought was happening to me 6 months ago.  I did have about a week of bad withdrawl symptoms from cutting out the artificial sweeteners but stuck it out as after researching it I am convinced it was also contributing to my anxiety, brain fog and aches and pains.  Occasionally there are still moments that come and go but I now know "this too shall pass" and can get through them.  Good luck and please know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Hang in there!  
    • Posted

This all sounds familiar! My first panic attack happened 5 years ago and then I just had two last week. I'm definitely perimenopaus , I'm 50. It makes you feel crazy!! It has effected my stomach though. I have had belly aches for over a week with some nausea. Better now finally feel like eating with a slight belly ache. Anybody else have nausea and stomach problems along with the panic attacks?

I too was addicted to diet cokes and have only been off of them for a week now! Wondering what kind of symptoms go along with detoxing from that?

Just nice to share and read other stories because the doctors only prescribe you with anxiety meds which we become desperate for! And they recommend counseling but really there has to be a root cause and some better ways to handle it.

Thanks ! Blessings to all

• Posted

Yes stomach is terrible...Gas bloating rumbling more then not..Not fun at all...I also get nausea alot...ugh...
    • Posted

Hi Teresa,

I had my first one about 4 months ago when all these symptoms started. It has gotten better and I don't have them as bad as I did at one point. I still struggle a bit with it. My GP gave me a script for Ativan that I am going to try and see that will work for me. Right now i just talk myself through it and it goes away. I just want it to get better.

• Posted

I suffer with the gas terribly more than I ever did before. It's a nuisance. All this started when the peri started. I kept feeling a little nauseous on and off yesterday. The days leading up to my menses are the worst and it is due in a few days.
    • Posted

It will get bettersmile so many people struggle with this you are not alone. Let me know how you do with Ativan? Hang in there keep digging like the rest of us!!

Blessings

• Posted

Teresa, 

I went cold turkey when I quit the aspartame.  I had a pretty severe headache for 3 days mostly concentrated in my eyes, lots of cramping and joint aches with waves of nausea.  Another thing I would get - which I didn't relate to the aspartame but thinking now that may have been the cause - is a tingling in my hands that would wake my up at night and that's mostly gone now too.  I felt that I was craving a diet coke and it would help me feel better to drink one but I held out with the help of my family.  I drank it for a long time though and was eating aspartame in other foods as well.  I read the labels now.  Just trying to rid my body of additional toxins I don't need.  ;-) 

For those experincing the gas, bloating and nausea, my doc had me start taking an OTC antacid (I take pepcid) before bed.  He said since that is the most hours the stomach stays empty it will cut down on the acid forming in it.  

I do agree that everyone needs to try different things and figure out what works for them.  I hope everyone finds something to help themselves.  When all of this started for me I truly thought how in the world will I live through this and it scared the heck out of me.  There is hope!  

• Posted

Oh yes most definitely, having the stomach aches and pain, I have had it for about a week now. Sick all day. Then it starts to feel better and then boom. Ughhh one minute not hungry next feel like I'm starving. It just never ends. Dear lord give us women some ease please.
    • Posted

Hi,

I had that same issue. One minute my stomach was hurting and I didn't want to eat. Then it was growling and I was so hungry. I had no idea that all this was going to go on. It's nerve wrecking, but I'm thankful for this forum and you lovely ladies. I would be a true basket case if not for being able to come here.

• Posted

Hi Jamie...Yes like you I never had anxiety till 3 years ago when i hit peri...At that time i didnt understand what was goin on till i found this site...Thank god everyday i did find these wonderful ladies...I was im ER more then once convinced I was at my end..But now things have really calmed down but like you i had to stop driving...I would have an attack and feel like i was going to pass out....I do drive more now but i still get anxious...I have read books and cut out caffeine and just talk myself out of it as much as i can...I have tried meds but I have side affects with them...All I can say is my anxiety is much better now..Not sure why but sure glad things have been better...Guess what im saying is hang in there and stick with these lovely ladies for advice...Hope you feel better soon...
    • Posted

Thanks Laurie70017,

My anxiety has gotten a little better because I was in the ER every other day trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I have since gotten that together. Now I do drive but it scares me and I always want someone with me and if can't have someone with me, I'll talk to someone on the phone until I get where im going. I never used to be like that. I would jump in the car and go in a minute. But since this peri hit like a ton of bricks, it's been hectic. It has gotten better though. I still panic when I get certain sensations and that is the part I'm working on.

• Posted

HI Jamie, so sorry to hear your anxiety.  Who'd be a woman!

You have to just try a few things to see what is going to work for you.  I don't have panic attacks as such but I have during the last three years of Meno just felt frightened, anxious, worried etc.  Recently a kind lady at Holland & Barrett suggested Red Clover.  I'm not a good tablet taker with a delicate digestion so she suggested the tea first called Menotee.  Well, it really has helped me.  I have calmed, yes the everyday anxieties and worried and stresses of life are still there but I'm much more able to cope.  It might not work for you but it's worth a try.  If your digestion is OK go for the tabs otherwise start carefully with the tea.  Dooooooo hope that is of some help.

• Posted

Thank you Allykaye,

I will try the tea. I don't have many attacks but the anxious, nervous, and worried sensations are more often than not. It's beginning to effecty work and I need to work. So I am trying any suggestions that anyone may have to see what works for me. I can deal with everyday stresses, but this meno stuff is whole another story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.