Anxiety and Menopause!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

I know there are several posts on anxiety and peri/meno and a forum just for anxiety. But I had to get to the bottom of this especially when I am told conflicting information.

I know that anxiety can come from a traumatic situations in your life but I have had several and never had a issue with anxiety so I couldn't figure out why so much now. I was told that anxiety was not a part of peri.

Well I did some research ( in which I vowed to never do again because it scares the heck out of me) and low and behold, anxiety was one of the main symptoms. I find myself waking up nervous, I get nervous just driving a distance which I never was at first. I used to love to drive, now I can't do it alone. I find myself just sitting and all of a sudden I get nervous. Since I have started with these symptoms, my anxiety is through the roof. I have addressed it with my GP who doesn't get it and just gave me a script for Ativan. I am going to try it because I really do need to relax a little.

What I want to know is does this anxiety stay with you during the duration of the change? Or does it get better?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

yes, jamie anxiety attacks are sooooo frequent and common during peri. but if you read about it it is caused by a certain reaction in the body due to fall in certain hormones. it is NOT related to the world around us at that particular moment- the situation or circumstances or happenings or schedules.

it would be nice to detach ourselves from this equation. we can control our reaction to the palpitations with our mind and going ahead with an event without fear. just regulate your breathing at that moment and go ahead with the task at hand.

the anxiety will subside if you accept it and just tell it - you gotta come back later coz im busy right now smile

• Posted

Thank you Gentleballads,

Against my better judgement, I did look it up and you are rite, it's the sudden crash in certain hormones. I've gotten much better with dealing with it when it happens and it goes down pretty quick. It's the anxious and nervous sensations that drive me nuts. I try to keep going as usual, but it is hard. My family has irritated me so because they think it's just something I need to get over overnight. They don't understand.

• Posted

Yes. It is a fluctuation in hormones. While they won't help your hormone level B vitamins have a natural calming affect that can help with that. Magnesium may help too. A relaxing Epsom salt bath or foot soak will give you some magnesium. Both of those may help calm your nerves. And of course belly breathing works wonders when you feel anxiety is starting. Hope you feel better soon!
    • Posted

Thanks Snoopy4,

It just gets so darn frustrating. I may have a good couple days and then BAM!! There it is. It just comes out of nowhere. Then it takes my body so long to recover after it happens. I'm shaky, wobbly, can't get my thoughts together. I'm going to try the magnesium.

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

Yes mine stayed, I didn't realise how bad it was until it went once I'd started HRT. I had also got used to it I think from where I'd had it so long. Just on edge all the time. My husband had noticed it and was often telling me to relax my shoulders. After a week or so on the HRT relaxation began to wash over me from time to time. Now 3 months in it is only there occasionally and I'm more aware of it like it was during early peri.

I'm 2 years period free.

• Posted

I stay tensed a lot too. Some days for me are good and some days are crazy. I literally wake up nervous and on edge. Soon as I feel I got it under control it just happens. Now yesterday and today I felt like crying a few times. I have been so emotional lately. I would be talking to someone then my eyes will start tearing up. My family is really beginning to think I'm a mental case. I keep trying to tell them that it just comes on me. They don't get it.
    • Posted

It's such a shame, my doctors were no better always trying to give me Meds for depression, not one of them even suggested that it could be due to peri. I was forever telling them it felt physical and I had no reason to be depressed.

It's only since I've been on HRT that I realise so many of those strange feelings of rage and hopelessness fear of being alone etc. were all to do with it.

• Posted

I can believe it. That's all my doc does. He just gives a pill for everything. Its nerve wrecking. I tell him physically how I feel and it feels like I'm being blown off. I am in search of a new GP.
    • Posted

Hi.  I am not sure if you are in the U.S. but if you are you can go to North American Menopause Society and search for a certified menopause practitioner in your area by putting in your zip code. I also had to find a new doctor and finally found one I was impressed with on this site.  I was suprised and relieved to know there actually was a menopause society! 
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I am in the US and did not know there was anything like that. I will be checking that out today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.