Anxiety and obsession with having a stroke!

Posted , 20 users are following.

The title pretty much sums it up. I have a fear I'm going to have a stroke or I've already suffered a mini \ silent stroke. This all started in March / April when i started getting neck pain, shoulder pain, headaches, trouble concentrating. More recently I've felt more saliva in my mouth and my toung feels wierd or irritated. This has made me feel like I'm slurring words or effecting my speech. I'm now hyper aware of my speech. I also get face tightness and sometimes a dull feeling.

I keep checking my face, smile, and pupils in the mirror. I keep convince myself my left side is slight lower it does y line up perfectly. I ask my parents and brother when I see them if my face looks normal and my speech sounds normal. I feel like I'm going crazy! Sometimes I feel like I'm not going to be able to speak but then when I need to answer I can.

PS I'm 28, nornal cholesterol, blood pressure, heart rhythm, and I'm not diabetic. I don't have any family history of heart disease or stroke. I work out 5 times a week and walk multiple times a day. I was diagnosed back in 2014 with GAD and Panic disorders took Zoloft for a few months and then felt okay again. Then I was worried about my heart, now it's stroke. I don't know if my anxiety is back, or there is something wrong with me.

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

im going through exactly the same im 27,overweight and am having the same thing

was in ER twice and doctors say im fine(didnt tell me i have anxiety)

it happend last week ,i have symptoms all the time,head tightness,tingling,sort of slurred speach,headaches etc... im asking my wife to check my smile like 20 times an hour.

i have panic attacks and its terrefiying.

hang in there... 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. It is comforting to hear I'm not alone, although I'm sorry you are having a similar experience because I know it makes enjoying life difficult. 

• Posted

Empt it's nice to see someone has the same symptoms as me.... I get really bad tightness and pressure in my head

• Posted

It's your anxiety. It'll be a brain tumour next, you wait and see.

Strokes are sudden and obvious and fall over and can't move one side of your body at all.

Mini-strokes don't have the same symptoms as major strokes. Not in the least, despite the confusingly similar name.

There IS something wrong with you, Joe - anxiety is getting the upper hand, I'm afraid. Are you still on zoloft? Stay on the forum right here where we can support you. love Tess xx

• Posted

I already went through that phase thinking I had a brain tumor...
  • Edited

I also went to the ER with chest pains and shortress of breath got ekg blood work and xray everything ok. Now I'm feeling pressure on my head with minor headache. This sucks! My medical bills just keep piling up. But I just can't help it. I need some reassuring that I'm ok. I'm only 34 years old to worry about these kind of illness that is driving me insane. First I thought I had stomach/brain cancer and heart issues. The more I Google symptoms the more freaked out I was getting. Take care joe hope we all get better.

• Posted

The absolute worst thing you can do is Google symptoms of anything. The results come back with the worst case scenario, and freak you out even more. You'll get more help, guidance, and comfort on this forum than from Google.

• Edited

I hope you all do, too. I don't have this anxiety, but these posts shatter me.

I think google has a lot to do with it, honestly.

And when all you sufferers have tests you just don't believe the results - that really must be awful - to have to be going through this.

I really wish there was more I could do to help.    xx Tess

• Posted

That's exactly why I joined. Makes me feel a little better. Hopefully when I find my remedy I can share it.

• Posted

I'm having a panic attack now

small one think I'm kinds managing it by checking my face every second and arm lifting

absolutely horrible

sure this group helps

• Posted

Oh man. I'm still going through mines. Just not has bad now. I have an appointment with my primary but in 2 weeks. Just so he can check me again and hopefully this time he can recommend me to see a psychiatrist.

• Posted

Tess, Tess, Tess. This forum would not be the same at all without you. You help with your knowledge, wisdom, patience, humor and plain old down to earth common sense! Yours are among the posts I look for first every time I come here. I may not always comment, but I always want to see what you have said....I learn a lot from you, Cutie Pie
  • Posted

You're anxiety is definitely back, and like others have said, next it will be some other physical problem that you'll think you have. Unfortunately, that's very common with anxiety. You said you took Zoloft for a few months then felt okay again. Does that mean you stopped the Zoloft?

• Edited

A simple testimony. I also had the constant fear that I was having a stroke...I am still here, and my head is fine. Well, a little batty in the head, but NO STROKE. When I said no i'm not these thoughts are only thoughts, often enough...that stopped....and something else popped in to try to scare my butt off...and so on. I simply do not believe any of it any more. Mostly those thoughts are gone.

Like training a child...you have to say no until they get, it that no means no.

• Posted

I tell myself off too, and I'm sure you can imagine the way I do it. lol It certainly works though, except in public. lol

• Posted

Guys, this Cia-Lady is NOT batty. Listen to her.

Boss-Tess. xxxxxxx to you all, suffering.

Oh, and JOE - I had to laugh when I read that you'd already gone down the brain tumour route - you sounded so rueful -and almost disappointed that you weren't worrying about it any more. Or are you?

• Posted

I don't worry about it any longer but its one of health anxitiies I went through and took time to get over. It seems silly and sad looking back on it. I also went through a long period where I was sure my heart was going to fail. Now my fixation is on stroke.

• Edited

This past week it was, "I've got major stomach problems." I'll make an appointment with "My toenails are falling off," for next week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.