Anxiety and obsession with having a stroke!

Posted , 20 users are following.

The title pretty much sums it up. I have a fear I'm going to have a stroke or I've already suffered a mini \ silent stroke. This all started in March / April when i started getting neck pain, shoulder pain, headaches, trouble concentrating. More recently I've felt more saliva in my mouth and my toung feels wierd or irritated. This has made me feel like I'm slurring words or effecting my speech. I'm now hyper aware of my speech. I also get face tightness and sometimes a dull feeling.

I keep checking my face, smile, and pupils in the mirror. I keep convince myself my left side is slight lower it does y line up perfectly. I ask my parents and brother when I see them if my face looks normal and my speech sounds normal. I feel like I'm going crazy! Sometimes I feel like I'm not going to be able to speak but then when I need to answer I can.

PS I'm 28, nornal cholesterol, blood pressure, heart rhythm, and I'm not diabetic. I don't have any family history of heart disease or stroke. I work out 5 times a week and walk multiple times a day. I was diagnosed back in 2014 with GAD and Panic disorders took Zoloft for a few months and then felt okay again. Then I was worried about my heart, now it's stroke. I don't know if my anxiety is back, or there is something wrong with me.

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I fear this myself,.but i had a "eye" stroke according to the eye doctor a couple of years back. Didnt have any of those sign either. Had some weird stuff occur i didnt understand and eye issue and went to the opthamologist. Have since had a ton of stroke and eye stroke tests.  More then i ever knew existed and monday they are sending me again for some other test which im already feeling a bit anxious abiut. I hate doctors at this point, not comforting im always nervous and just want good news and good results. But Now they watch it. It i think happened the night of a horrific hurricane i just got so scared that night but they said it was from some virus..who knows. I dont. Im normal weight (flucutates depending on my nerves it can go down a bit until anxiety wears off) and eat okay.I  Do have elevated ldl a part of cholesterol but not by much. I hate this fear and try so hard to not allow it.  But it was a different kind. I think the worst thing to ever do is contemplate something like this. I constantly tell myself im healthy and sound. still scared at times. It stinks.

• Posted

Oddly even writting that gave me anxiety. It was really a traumatixing experience to be honest. I have learned from it to calm the heck down and no fear level whether its real or not is with it. .not worth that.
    • Posted

Darling Lisa, I am so sorry you are going through all this. It feels like one of my own family is in pain and I can't help. Well, I guess we are family.wink My heart goes out to you. I wish I could just hold you in a big soft hug, and kiss your cheek.

• Posted

Wow! I always read your responses, Lisa. I didn't know you had an eye stroke.

Well, at least you found the courage to share that, even if you were traumatised afterwards.

Much love to you, Lisa.   xxxxxx

• Posted

You answered your owe question. You Have anxiety, and panic. Why do people feel better on meds, then go off them.I can't understand that. Better get back on them.

• Posted

Hey Joe i have the same thing as you. Im 21 overweight but healthy and every day i feel like im gonna have a stroke. I dont want to have a stroke but my mind is paranoid. I fear death im afraid to leave the house most days. Youre not alone.
  • Posted

I’m 18 years old, and I had my first anxiety attack 2 weeks ago. I was

stressed at the point where I fainted. Now, I live in constant fear of having a stroke, I check my face every 2 minutes to see if one side is lower than the other, and if I feel as though it is, I start panicking and imagining all sorts of feelings and sensations that are clearly the product of the intense fear of having a stroke. On top of that, I absolutely refuse to be alone because I’m so scared that it will happen when there’s no one around. One of the things that keeps me “grounded” in a way is the fact that there’s no history of stroke or heart attacks in my family, that my blood pressure is great and that I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I have a healthy diet, I exercise 5 times a week, etc. So yeah, anxiety sucks

• Posted

OMG this is me right now!!! 

When I have a panic attack, my BP goes high and that makes me fear It might cause a stroke.

I just ha some work up from a cardiologist to rule out heart issues now I'm obsessed with the fear of panic attack causing a stroke.

• Posted

Also me! I’m 19 years old and about 2 months ago I started having terrible daily anxiety. Panic attacks every single day. First, it was paranoia that my eyeballs were gonna spontaneously pop out of my head... but after doing tons of research and hearing it from my optometrist that it won’t happen, i’ve since gotten over it. But then I started worrying about having a heart attack, and that caused me to have physical symptoms (like chest tightness, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, etc.) and it got to a point where I called my mom to tell her I’m dying. She said of course that I’m not and it’s just my anxiety. She went through the same thing, only she’s in her 50s and she drinks and smokes and was overweight... so the anxiety of a heart attack was very scary for her. She sought a cardiologist and they did extensive tests and concluded that she was healthy and it was just panic attacks. She was put on 10mg citalopram and her episodes stopped. My sister then went through the same thing, only she made my mom rush her to the ER, and they found nothing wrong with her but anxiety. So now I’m going through it.... and it’s very scary. But knowing my family went through this and it was just anxiety, makes me feel a bit better. I did see a doctor and they did bloodwork and found that everything is normal and put me on 10mg of citalopram as well... Right now, my current worry is a stroke and I do the same things.... Always checking my face in the mirror, looking like a psycho as I smile 24/7 to make sure my face isn’t lopsided, and always raisin my arms to make sure Im not weak. All i can suggest is, not to worry about it. Like many people have said, a stroke is very sudden and very noticeable. You’re just making life miserable for yourself by worrying about it. I have a very loving and supportive boyfriend that reassures me and helps me through my attacks, so try to find a friend or a loved one that can be there for you. It truly helps to have that reassurance. You’re not alone, but I can almost garauntee that you’re ok. I hope things get better xoxo
  • Edited

I swear everything ive read is me exactly. i just had a crazy intense panic attack thinking i was having a stroke. The feeling is so awful. i hate feeling like that and driving my gf of 5 years crazy. i know she gets tired of re assuring me. Asking her over and over to inspect my face and smile and all kinds of facial expressions. like im an idiot. Google isnt on your side. i promise.

• Posted

I've recently been experiencing the same issues. headaches, heart issues, thinking I'm stroking out. It all started 6 months ago when i got my 1st migraine with aura. I saw prisms in my left eye and had to go to the hospital. So now, i have good days and bad days. Definitely a lot of panic attacks. Wishing my brain would stop this nonsense, but it truly is overwhelming at times. Hang in there.

• Posted

im scared my speech and been slurred on and off and thinking what to say with my words my catscan was good im going to a neurologist tomorow who might send me for a catscan anybody experience this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.